EHS can provide a basic ergonomic assessment of your computer workstation and make recommendations for adjustments to ensure the best set up for each individual employee.
Note that you can now kathryn.wiens [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Virtual%20Ergonomic%20Assessment%20Request) (request a virtual ergonomic assessment) (Skype/Teams/FaceTime) of your computer workstation.
Any on-campus (downtown or Macdonald campus) McGill employee or student working at a computer can request an assessment. EHS will come and evaluate your work station and recommend changes to positioning or new furniture when necessary. Any purchase of new furniture will be the responsibility of the unit.
When necessary a referral to a certified Ergonomist can be provided, note that charges for this will be the responsibility of the unit.
** Note that EHS does not provide recommendations for sit-stand workstations or similar specialized ergonomic equipment.
To request an ergonomic assessment of your work station please contact our Occupational Health Program Administrator kathryn.wiens [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Ergonomic%20Assessment%20Request) (Kathryn Wiens) x4766, or fill out an Online Accident Form if you are experiencing chronic pain and need more documentation of your injury.
The Ergonomics Self-Assessment Checklist is a tool to help ensure that your workstation is set up properly and comfortable for you. It is a good idea to review the self assessment periodically
For additional ergonomic tools, please see the links below.
- McGill HR Ergo your Office Space
- Guidelines for an Ergonomic Office Setup - The Work Well Project
- Tips to work from home - McGill Reporter Article
- Telework resources
- McGill Kinesiology Clinic Services - includes ergonomic assessments
- Interactive video - bonne position pour travailler avec un ordinateur
- Computer Work Station Adjustments
- CCOHS guide on How to Adjust Office Chairs
- Technical Sheet No.1: Postural Aspects Technical Sheet No.1: Postural Aspects (French)
- Technical Sheet No.2: Visual Aspects Technical Sheet No.2: Visual Aspects (French)
- Technical Sheet No.3: Micro-pauses / Technical Sheet No.3: Micro-pauses (French)