M.A. (Non-Thesis)

Most M.A. students register in the non-thesis option. To work as a professional economist, or to enter a Ph.D. program in Economics, it is essential to understand a range of quite technical material. Completing 8 courses at the M.A. level also permits students to explore several different areas of the discipline. The research paper, as well as essays and projects carried out to complete course requirements, give students the opportunity to develop research skills.

This program requires:

  1. Successful completion of the following courses with a grade in each of at least a B- (65%)
    12 required credits
    • ECON 610 Microeconomic Theory 1
    • ECON 620 Macroeconomic Theory 1
    • ECON 661 Applied Time-Series and Forecasting
    • ECON 664 Applied Cross-Sectional Methods
    12 complementary credits which must include
    • ECON 665 Quantitative Methods
    A minimum of 6 elective credits must be taken in the same field (for example, international economics, or labour economics, or industrial organization). The M.A. Director must approve the courses that will be considered to satisfy this requirement.
  2. A research paper of about 50 pages in length. The research paper demonstrates the candidate's ability to do independent work at the graduate level in a particular field of economics. Length varies with the subject but papers usually do not exceed 50 pages. Each student must find his/her own supervisor, and may consult with an M.A. advisor for guidance. Students should begin to plan the M.A. research paper in January. In many cases a paper written for a course lays the groundwork for the research paper. A research paper topic is often developed from the course material covered in the student's 6-credit field concentration.
  3. The Non-Thesis program requirement is 45 credits (24 credits course work and 21 credits research paper). 
  4. Residency requirement for the M.A. degree: Three full-time terms of residency (at least 12 credits) one of which can be the Summer Term. Students are expected to complete the M.A. course and Research Paper requirements in one calendar year.
  5. A student who fails (receives a grade less than B- or 65%) one graduate course may be asked to withdraw from the M.A. program. The Department may allow the student to write a supplemental examination, re-take the course, or, if the course is not a required course, substitute the failed course with another course. A student with two failures in the graduate program (eg two separate courses; a course and its supplemental exam) must withdraw from the M.A. program.

Students must submit their M.A. research paper to their supervisor for grading by the relevant deadline. The supervisor may require corrections before assigning a final grade for ECON 683.

Tuition and fees

You can calculate how much your tuition and fees for the fall and winter terms will be here.  However, to complete the degree in one year, you will also need to register full time for the summer term, and those fees are not listed there.  You will be billed for the summer term in addition to the fall and winter terms, and the summer term tuition and fees will be approximately the same as the winter term. Note tuition fees for the upcoming academic year are set by the Government in May - use the current year amounts as a guide and assume a modest increase.

Back to top