Looking to become a certified teacher?

Newly Admitted Students - B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary PIF

English Exam for Teacher Certification

All students are required to register for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (EDEC 215) in the Fall term of their first year (U1 year) in the program. Please refer to the English Language Requirement section of the Internships & Student Affairs website for details.

Kindergarten and Elementary advising documents (for students admitted Fall 2020):


Registration Plan:

K Elementary PIF Four Year Overview registration plan 

A registration plan is provided because of the tight nature of the program - to ensure timely completion of your program, you are advised to follow the sequence of courses as outlined above.

A complete list of courses, course descriptions and prerequisites can be found below.

See the official eCalendar information with course lists and descriptions.

Academic Orientation Schedule

Newly admitted students are to attend the orientation session pertinent to their program.

Late admits to PIF

Students may take or retake the French Language Placement Test for entrance into the PIF option in Winter of U1. Register for a French Language Placement Test at the French Language Center by clicking here and communicate the results to your advisor.

Modified Year 1 schedule comparison

Fall start

Fall semester

EDEC 201 First Year Professional Seminar (1 cr)
EDEC 215 English Exam for Teacher Certification (0 cr)
EDEE 280 Geography, History and Citizenship (3 cr)
EDFE 200 First Year Field Experience (2 cr)
EDPE 300 Educational Psychology (3 cr)
EDSL 300 Foundations of L2 Education (3 cr)
EDSL 301 Etude de la langue (3 cr)

Winter semester

EDEC 203 Communication in Education (3 cr)
EDEC 248 Equity and Education (3 cr)
EDEC 260 Philosophical Foundations (3 cr)
EDEC 262 Media, Technology and Education (3 cr)
FREN course (3 cr)

Winter start

Fall semester

EDEC 201 First Year Professional Seminar (1 cr)
EDEC 203 Commmunication in Education (3 cr)
EDEC 215 English Exam for Teacher Certification (0 cr)
one of: EDEC 260 or EDEC 261 (3 cr)
EDEE 280 Geography, History and Citizenship (3 cr)
EDFE 200 First Year Field Experience (2 cr)
EDPE 300 Educational Psychology (3 cr)

Winter semester

EDEC 248 Equity and Education (3 cr)
EDEC 262 Media, Technology and Education (3 cr)
one of: RELG 204 or RELG 207 (3 cr)
FREN course (3 cr)
Elective course (3 cr)

Note: EDSL 300 and EDSL 301 will be taken in Y2 Fall

Sample 4 Year Program Overview for students who transferred to PIF after first year fall.


Pédagogie de l'Immersion Française (PIF) Freshman Year

Depending on French Language Placement Test results, candidates from outside of Quebec who have a strong background in French (ex. Grade 12 French Immersion Program) may be eligible for conditional acceptance to the PIF program. Applicants who are conditionally admitted to the PIF option are required to complete the Freshman en français year (offered through the Faculty of Arts). Following successful completion of this program (passing grade of B in FRSL courses), students should contact their advisor to be transferred into the PIF program. Unsuccessful candidates will remain registered in the regular B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary stream. For more information about the PIF Freshman Year, please contact your advisor.

Student Advising Support Team:

Tina Schiavone, Academic Advisor
Susie Vodopivec, Academic Advisor
Grace Wong- McAllister, Academic Advisor

Tel.: (514) 398-4527, Ext. 094692 - Email

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I find help on how to use Minerva to register for courses?

Step by step instructions and a tutorial video can be found on this website. In addition, the Internships & Student Affairs office is available to help you with registration difficulties.

What is the difference between a U0 and a U1 student?

“U0” or “Freshman Program Student” is the term used to define students who have been admitted without advanced standing. Generally, this refers to students who are admitted to McGill from outside Quebec. Admitted students who have completed CEGEP are considered U1 students. Refer to the section titled “Freshman Program Advising” for further information. 

When are my field experiences (dates)?

See the overviews above to find the semesters in which you should complete your field experiences. In addition, the start and end dates for all field experiences each year can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

Does my first field experience conflict with my other fall semester courses?

No it does not.  If you are registering for the fall semester courses found on the overview (above), your Fall semester courses will end early, in November, after which your First Field Experience (EDFE 200) and your First Year Seminar (EDEC 201) will begin and run until mid-December.  Your first Fall semester will be unique in this way.

I'm having trouble registering for EDFE 200 and EDEC 201

EDFE 200 and EDEC 201 must be registered for simultaneously.  To do this, make note of the CRNs of both courses (first column on left when you search for courses) and enter them both into the "Quick Add" feature on Minerva (step 2 on the registration menu).

I've written an English exit exam already, do I need to register for EDEC 215?

Yes, the provincial government requires that all students in teacher education programs demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction.  More information can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

When do I need to start registering for courses?

Registration for courses for newly admitted students begins in June and ends a couple weeks after classes in the semester begin.  A complete list of registration start and end dates can be found here.

What should I do if I'm having trouble registering for a course?

If you are getting an error such as 'program restriction' or 'reserve closed' when attempting to register for a course, first ensure that you are selecting the section designated for your program (if applicable: see the notes under the course in class schedule search on Minerva).  If you are still having trouble, contact the department offering the course (Educational and Counselling Psychology for EDPE and EDPI courses, Linguistics for LING courses, English for ENGL courses, etc.).  The calendar entry for the course will indicate the offering department.

Where do I go to take the French FREN courses?

Information about French courses from the 'Département de langue et littérature françaises' (DLLF) can be found on their website.

What advanced standing can I expect to receive from my previous university study? When will my advanced standing appear on my transcript?

In the Faculty of Education students are eligible to receive advanced standing only for courses that are applicable to their programs. The admissions office makes decisions on advanced standing for all incoming students over the summer. Your advanced standing may not appear on your transcript immediately.

Until the admissions office has entered your advanced standing on your transcript, you are advised to attempt to get a sense of the transfer credits you might receive by looking at the program requirements on the program checklist (above). Students typically receive advanced standing for subject area courses rather than required education courses (unless their previous university education was in a teacher training program). Additional advice for self-assessing your transfer credits can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

When the admissions office has assessed your advanced standing, you should review it, and if you feel that you might be eligible for additional courses, contact your advisor.

Program information is organized for three distinct groups:

Prospective Students   Newly Admitted   Currently Registered

Back to top