The Pédagogie de l’Immersion Française (PIF) option is designed to meet the needs of students enrolled in the B.Ed Kindergarten and Elementary program who wish to teach in French immersion contexts. It consists of 30 credits of French and second language education related courses embedded within the regular B.Ed. Kindergarten and Elementary program (no additional credits are needed). In addition, certain other course sections may be offered in French. As French Immersion is the common program across English schools in Quebec, and a very popular option across Canada, opting for and completing this program should increase your employability upon graduation.
How to Enter PIF
- If you are not a McGill student, apply to enter the B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary (K/Elem) program through Admissions. Once accepted go onto French Language Proficiency Requirement steps below.
- If you are a current McGill B.Ed. K/Elem student go onto French Language Proficiency Requirement steps below.
- If you are a current McGill student, apply for Inter/Intra Faculty Transfer into the B.Ed. K/Elem Pédagogie de l'Immersion Française program (on Minerva) and go onto French Language Proficiency Requirement steps below.
French Language Proficiency Requirement:
1. If you graduated from a French (not French Immersion) secondary school and/or French CEGEP please email advisedise.education [at] mcgill.ca with the full name and address of your secondary school and/or CEGEP. Please put ‘Request to transfer to PIF option’ in the subject line.
2. Register for a French Language Placement Test at the French Language Center by clicking here. There is a written component completed online. You then need to register for an oral interview. As spaces fill up quickly, you should register as soon as possible. (Note that dates are added on a rolling basis, so if sessions are full you should check back regularly in order to secure a space). ). To be admitted to PIF, you need to place at the FRSL 431 level or higher, or be referred to the DLLF* to register for FREN courses.
At the beginning of the interview, you need to mention that you are looking for an FRSL course as part of the PIF program.
*If your French level is higher, you may be referred to the DLLF (French department). Note that this referral is sufficient for entrance to the PIF program. In this case you will register for FREN courses (some FREN courses require a placement test).
3. Communicate the results of your French Placement Test (including a referral to the DLLF) to us by emailing advisedise.education [at] mcgill.ca. Please mention ‘PIF option – French Language Placement Test Results’ in the subject line.
Pédagogie de l'Immersion Française (PIF) Freshman Year
Depending on the French Language Placement Test results, candidates from outside of Quebec who have a strong background in French (ex. Grade 12 French Immersion Program) may be eligible for conditional acceptance to the PIF program. Applicants who are conditionally admitted to the PIF option are required to complete the Freshman en français year (offered through the Faculty of Arts). Following successful completion of this program (passing grades of B), candidates will be transferred to the PIF program. Unsuccessful candidates will remain registered in the regular B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary stream.
If you are interested in knowing more about the PIF option, contact advisedise.education [at] mcgill.ca.
Program information is organized for three distinct groups: