Getting the best pay for your skills is an important issue for any job seeker. There are many aspects to proper salary negotiation during the job search process. Some basic tips are:
- Be realistic in terms of pay, benefits, and perks for the type of job you apply for.
- Know your market value - see where you fit in the range of experience, skills & value.
- Determine your lowest acceptable salary range before the negotiation.
Salary Search Websites
The following websites allow you to find the average salary of an occupation:
- TalentEgg (Canada): Entry level jobs salaries.
- Job Bank Canada: Compare wages by occupations or locations.
- Salary.com - Salary Wizard Canada: Searchable by job category and location.
- Indeed Salary Search: Searchable by occupation and location.
- WowJobs Salary Search: Searchable by occupation and location.
- Simply Hired Salary Calculator: Searchable by occupation and location.
- PayScale Gigzig - Salary Comparison Tool: Searchable by job title.
- Glassdoor - Salaries (Canada & USA): Community based information.
- NACE Salary Calculator (USA): Searchable by location, occupation, and working years.
- paysa (USA): Searchable by company, title, location and expertise.
- The Globe and Mail - Salaries Series (Canada): A look at different professions and their salaries.
The following resources will give you an idea the average salary information in your discipline.
- NACE Salary Survey (PDF) - Starting salaries for new graduates.
The full NACE Salary Survey Report (PDF) is available at Career Databases & Periodicals.
- Robert Half International - Salary Guides
Downloadable guides: Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Technology, Legal and Administration.
- Réseau des ingénieurs - Engineering Salary Report (PDF) (in French)
A report based on a remuneration survey of 8,000+ engineers. You can also access the latest report or use the site's salary calculator to obtain salary information: Remuneration Survey