Getting the best pay for your skills is an important issue for any job seeker. There are many aspects to proper salary negotiation during the job search process. Some basic tips are:
- Be realistic in terms of pay, benefits, and perks for the type of job you apply for.
- Know your market value - see where you fit in the range of experience, skills & value.
- Determine your lowest acceptable salary range before the negotiation.
The following websites allow you to find the average salary of an occupation:
- Canada - Job Bank Canada: Compare wages by occupations or locations.
- Canada - PayScale: Salary data for specific jobs, employers and schools.
- Canada - TalentEgg: Average entry level salaries.
- USA & Canada - PayScale Gigzig: Searchable by job title.
- USA & Canada - Glassdoor Salaries and Compensation: Community based information.
- USA & Canada - SalaryExpert: Searchable by job title and location.
- USA & Canada - LinkedIn Salary: Community based information. Sign in to search for salaries.
- USA - NACE Salary Calculator: Searchable by location, occupation, and working years.
- USA - Indeed Salary Search: Searchable by occupation and location.
- USA - Simply Hired Salary Calculator: Searchable by occupation and location.
- USA - paysa: Browse salaries by company, title, location and expertise.
If you are looking for pay rates for student jobs, consult the following websites:
- Canada - Student Rates of Pay (Government of Canada)
- Canada - Minimum Hourly Wage Rates (Government of Canada)
- USA - Minimum Hourly Wage Rates (United States Department of Labour)
To learn more about salary negotiation, consult the following resources.
Articles of Interest:
- The careful art of negotiating your first salary (PayScale)
- New grads, here's how to negotiate your salary (The Globe and Mail)
- Can I negotiate things other than salary? (Monster)
- The complete job offer and salary negotiation FAQ for job-seekers (LiveCareers)
Recommended Books (Available at CaPS):
- Salary tutor: Learn the salary negotiation secrets no one ever taught you
- How to negotiate your first job: 8 steps that will create value for your and your new employer
- Get paid what you're worth: The expert negotiator's guide to salary and compensation
- The only negotiating guide you'll ever need: 101 ways to win every time in any situation