Careers in non-profit encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Programs and service delivery
- Event and program coordination
- Communications assistance
- Finance and operations management
- Community and social work
- Educational counselling
- Volunteer recruitment and training
- Information systems management
- Grant writing and fundraising
- International development
Typical employers can be categorized into these areas:
- Non-governmental organization (NGO). A non-governmental organization (NGO) may be funded by governments, foundations, businesses or private businesses. Typical employers include but not limited to agencies in international development, advocacy, service-oriented organizations that provide services such as health and education, and think tanks that perform research such as social policy and political strategy.
- Non-profit organization (NPO) and local communities. A non-profit organization (NPO) aims to advocate for a particular point of view or social cause. Typical employers include but not limited to organizations in the relief of poverty, civic and environmental advocacy, international relations and development, advancement of health services, education and religion; organizations in charity purposes that bring benefits to communities, and social enterprises that create community impacts and social values.
- Charitable and Non-Profit Sector (Sector Source)
Quick facts about nonprofit sector in Canada.
To learn more about different career options in this sector, visit the following web sites:
- UN Career Paths (United Nations)
- Career paths with UN. Fields: management and operations support to legal and conference management.
- Success Stories and Expert Advice (Net Impact)
Career profiles. Fields: Community development, education, energy and clean tech, entrepreneurship, environment, finance, health, international development, nonprofit.
Career Books & Magazines
Recommended books (available at CaPS):
- Peace jobs: A student's guide to starting a career working for peace
- Working in international development and humanitarian assistance: A career guide
- Compassionate careers: Making a living by making a difference
- The Idealist Guide to Non-Profit Careers for First-Time Job Seekers (PDF) (Idealist.org)
- Career Books (Available in the McGill Library)
Articles of Interest
- How to prepare for a career in the non-profit sector (TalentEgg)
- Idealist careers (idealist.org)
Resources for a career in non-profit sector.
The following links provide a list of job boards, internships and volunteering opportunities.
Note: To find internships, you can also use keywords like "internship" in some of the job boards to find opportunities.
- Campus Access - Directory of Internship Programs
This site provides a directory containing an extensive list of internship programs that offer students and graduates an opportunity to gain practical experience, explore potential careers and enrich their lives. The site is searchable by categories: Business, Health, Technology, Government, UN, Humanitarian, Child-related, and Environment.
- International Development Internships
- International Development Jobs
- Non-Profit Jobs
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Jobs
Associations & Groups
- Canadian Business for Social Responsibility (CBSR)
- Canadian Council for International Co-Operation (CCIC)
- Canadian Association of International Development Professionals (CAIDP)
- Canadian Association for the Study of International Development (CASID)
- International Development Research Centres (IDRC)
- McGill Not-For-Profit Consulting Faceboook
UN Employment Scams: Be informed and beware of UN job scams.
Explore the following links for internship and volunteer opportunities.
- YPP - UN Young Professionals Programme
Annual recruitment, proficient in English or French.
- JOP - UN Professional Officer Programme
Opportunity for graduates to acquire professional experience; 2 years.
- UN Internship Programme
Opportunity to familiarize yourself with the UN; unpaid and full-time; 2-6 months.
- UNA-Canada IDDIP (International Development & Diplomacy Internship Programme)
For graduate or post-grad students; 6-month. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
More internship & volunteering opportunities:
- UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Internships
- UNESCO-NUEVOC (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Internships
- UNHCR (United Nations Refugee Agency) Internships
- UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) Internship Programme
- UNOPS (United Nations Office for Project Services) Internships
- UN ESCAP (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific) Internships
- UN Women (United Nations Women) Internship Programme
- UNV (United Nations Volunteers)
- NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) Internship Programme
The following sites list UN jobs.
- UN Job Openings
- UN Job List
- ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) Jobs
- UIS (UNESCO Institute for Statistics) Jobs
- UN Environment (United Nations Environment) Jobs
- UN ESCAP (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific) Jobs
- UN Women (United Nations Women) Jobs
- UNESCO (United Nations Educations, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Jobs
- UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Jobs
- UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) Jobs
- Montreal – Centraide's Directory of Agencies
- Montreal - Grand Montréal 211 Directory
- Canada cities/regions: Toronto | Toronto Charities | Eastern Ontario Region
- Canadian provinces: Alberta | British Columbia | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Saskatchewan | Canada
- U.S.cities: Boston | New York or NYC Resources
International Development, Non-Profit & NGO
- NGO in Montreal
Partial list of non-governmental organizations (NGO) with offices in Montreal.
- A-Z Charity Directory (Charity Village)
Scroll down to see a list of A-Z Directory of nonprofit organizations in Canada. Categories: Community and social services, education, LGBT, human rights, international relief, poverty and social justice, and more.
- A-Z Charity Listings (Chairty Intelligence Canada)
A directory of 700 Canadian charities.
- Organizations Worldwide (Idealist.org)
Over 77,000 development and non-profit organizations, searchable by areas of focus and type.
- Worldwide NGO Directory (WANGO)
NGO listings by region, searchable by mission, country, area of focus.
- Devex Organizations (Devex)
1000+ community and organizations. Searchable by type and location.
- MyWorldAbroad (Registration with your McGill email is required)
4,000+ resources, 250 expert articles and inspiring student stories. Visit What Do You Want To Do? -> Top Resources -> NGO for listings.
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Companies that incorporate CSR policy/functions (respect for ethical values, people, communities, and the environment) into their business models.
- Corporate Knights Reports (Corporate Knights)
Best companies on the state of responsible business in a different sectors (energy, cleantech, etc.)
- CSR Directory (CSRWire)
Online resource guide listing more than 2,700 organizations working on all aspects of corporate social responsibility in more than 105 countries.
- Social Enterprise Alliance Organization Directory (SEC)
A database that is searchable by areas of impact, location and industry.
Organizations that performs research and advocacy concerning a variety of topics, such as, social policy, political strategy, economics, military, culture, technology.