Admission to the Ph.D. Program requires that students must meet the university’s admissions standards and the minimum academic background prerequisites for applicants to the Biological and Biomedical Engineering Doctoral program and, additionally, hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant for advanced study and research in Biological and Biomedical Engineering as determined by the admissions committee. These are summarized below.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. Program must already hold a research-based Master's degree in Biological and Biomedical Engineering or related field involving course work equivalent to that of the Biological and Biomedical Engineering Master’s program or of the Biomedical Engineering program at McGill. Students lacking prerequisites or graduate courses may be accepted to the program on the condition that they make up the missing background.
- Applicants should have a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 3.3 out of 4 (or the equivalent) in their Master’s and their undergraduate programs.
- Students in the program’s Master’s program may transfer to the Ph.D. program using the “fast track” procedure.
Applicants must meet the same background requirements as the Master’s program.
Non-Canadian applicants whose mother tongue is not English, or who have not completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized foreign institution where English is the language of instruction, must submit documented proof of competency in English by one of the following methods:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A total score of at least 100 on the Internet-based test with a minimum score of 20 in each section. A minimum score of 600 is required for the paper-based test; or
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a band score of 7.0 or greater (Academic module).
- The examinations must have been taken no more than two years prior to the application date. See the GPS website for English Language Proficiency and for further details about submitting test scores.
GRE is NOT required.
Please note that we cannot prescreen applicants over the phone or e-mail. You need to formally apply in order for us to objectively evaluate the entirety of your application.