BSc/MEng (Civil Engineering, Mexico, 2001)
MSc/PhD (Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, 2006)
Postdoctoral Fellow (CRAD/CDAT, Laval University, 2008)
luis [dot] miranda-moreno [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor Miranda’s specialty is in transportation engineering with a focus on road safety, traffic monitoring and demand modeling, and sustainable transport strategies. His research interests include the development of crash-risk analysis methods, the integration of emergency technologies for traffic monitoring, the impact of climate on transportation systems, the analysis of short and long-term changes in travel demand, the impact of transport on the environment, the evaluation of energy efficiency measures and non-motorized transportation.
- Member of the Interuniversity Research Centre on Enterprise Networks, Logistics and Transportation (CIRRELT)
- Member of CDAT, Centre for Data and Analysis in Transportation, Université Laval
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Regional and Urban Planning, Laval University
- Road safety: data collection methods, crash risk modeling, design and evaluation of engineering treatments
- Traffic flow analysis and monitoring: assessment of emerging technologies for data collection, traffic monitoring and modeling tools, impact of adverse weather, traffic calming
- Transportation and the environment: impact of new technologies and mass transportation infrastructure, modeling greenhouse gas emissions and road pricing
- Dominique Lord, Texas A&M University - Bayesian methods in road safety applications,
- Liping Fu, University of Waterloo - Safety and mobility impact of winter weather and road maintenance,
- Satish Ukkusuri, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Pedestrian safety data analysis in New York City,
- Martin Lee-Gosselin and Philippe Barla, Laval University - Analysis of greenhouse gas emissions associated with daily trips in Québec City.
- Postdoctoral Scholarship, Faculty of Social Sciences, Laval University, 2006-2008
- Government of Mexico scholarship for PhD studies, 2002-2006
- Graduate Scholarship, University of Waterloo, 2003-2005
- Government of Mexico scholarship for MEng studies, 1997-1999
- Nosal T., Miranda-Moreno L. (2014) “The effect of weather on the use of North American bicycle facilities: A multi-city analysis using automatic counts”. Transportation Research, Part A. Vol. 66, pp. 213–225.
- Strauss, J., Miranda-Moreno, L., Morency M. (2014) “Multimodal injury risk analysis of road users at signalized and non-signalized intersections”. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 71, pp. 201–209.
- Anowar, S., Eluru, N., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2014) “Alternative Modeling Approaches Used for Examining Automobile Ownership: A Comprehensive Review”. Transport Reviews Volume 34, Issue 4, pp. 441-473.
- Anowar, S., Yasmin, S., Eluru, N., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2014) “Analyzing Car Ownership in Two Quebec Metropolitan Regions: A Comparison of Latent Ordered and Unordered Response Models”. Transportation 1-27.
- Nosal, T., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2014) “Incorporating Weather: A Comparative Analysis of Average Annual Daily Bicyclist Estimation Methods”. Journal of Transportation Research Record (forthcoming).
- Burns, S., Stipancic, J., Miranda-Moreno, L., Saunier, N. (2014) “An Accessible and Practical Geocoding Method for Traffic Collision Record Mapping: A Quebec Case Study”. Journal of Transportation Research Record (forthcoming).
- Nabavi, M., Miranda-Moreno, L., Saunier, N., Amador, L. (2014) “A Method for Road Lighting Audit and Safety Screening”. Journal of Transportation Research Record (forthcoming).
- Perdomo M., Patterson, Z. Saunier, N., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2014) “Pedestrian Preferences with Respect to Roundabouts - A Video-Based Stated Preference Survey”, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 70, pp. 84-91.
- Heydari S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Lord D., Fu, L. (2014) “A Methodology to Estimate and Update SPF Parameters under Limited Data Conditions: A Sensitivity Analysis”, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 64, pp. 41-51.
- St-Aubin, P., Miranda-Moreno, L., Saunier, N. (2013) “An Automated Conflict Analysis at Protected Highway Ramps Using Cross-Sectional and Before-After Video Data”. Transportation Research, Part C, Vol. 36, pp. 284 - 295.
- Daziano, R., Miranda-Moreno, L., Heydari, S. (2013) “Computational Bayesian Statistics in Transportation Modeling: From Road Safety Analysis to Discrete Choice”. Transport Review, Vol 33, pp. 570-592.
- Brosseau M., Zangenehpour, S., Saunier N., Miranda-Moreno L. (2013) “The Impact of Waiting Time and Other Factors on Dangerous Pedestrian Crossings and Violations at Signalized Intersections: A Case Study in Montreal”. Transportation Research, Part F, Vol. 21, pp. 159–172.
- Jackson, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., St-Aubin, P., Saunier, N. (2013) “Flexible, Mobile Video Camera System and Open Source Video Analysis Software for Road Safety and Behavioral Analysis.” Journal of Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2365, pp. 90-98.
- Harding C., Patterson, P., Miranda-Moreno, L., Zahabi, A. (2013) “A Spatial and Temporal Comparative Analysis of the Effects of Land Use Clusters on Activity Spaces in Three Quebec Cities”, Environment and Planning B (special issue).
- St-Aubin, P., Saunier, N., Miranda-Moreno, L., Ismail, K. (2013) “Detailed Driver Behavior Analysis and Trajectory Interpretation at Roundabouts Using Computer Vision Data”, Journal of Transportation Research Record (in press).
- Harding, C., Patterson, Z. Miranda-Moreno, L., Sahabi, A. (2012) “Modeling the Effect of Land Use on Activity Spaces” Journal of Transportation Research Record, Volume 2323, pp. 67-74.
- Zahabi, A., Miranda-Moreno, L., Patterson, Z., Barla, P. (2013) “Urban Transportation Greenhouse Gas Emissions and its Link with Urban Form, Transit Accessibility and Emerging Green Technologies”, Journal of Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2375, pp. 45-54.
- Charreyron, S., Jackson, S., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2013) “Toward a Flexible System for Pedestrian Data Collection Using Microsoft Kinect Motion-Sensing Device”. Journal of Transportation Research Record.
- Heydari, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Amador, L. (2013) “Does Prior Specification Matter in Hotspot Identification and Before-After Road Safety Studies?” Journal of Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2392, pp. 31-39.
- Miranda-Moreno, L., Nosal, T., Schneider, R.J., Proulx, F. (2013) “Classification of bicycle traffic patterns in five North American Cities”, Journal of Transportation Research Record.
- Strauss, J., Miranda-Moreno, L. Morency M. (2013) “Cyclist Activity and Injury Risk Analysis at Signalized Intersections: A Bayesian Modeling” Accident Analysis and Prevention, 59, pp. 9-17.
- Eluru N., Chakour, V., Chamberlain, M., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2013) "Modeling Vehicle Operating Speed on Urban Roads in Montreal: A Panel Mixed Ordered Probit Fractional Split Model," Accident Analysis and Prevention, 59, pp. 125-134.
- Lusk A., Morency, P., Miranda-Moreno, L., Walter W. (2013) “Bicycle Guidelines and Crash Rates on Cycle Tracks in the United States” American Journal of Public Health, 103(7), pp. 1240-1248.
- Chan, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Hatzopoulou, M. (2013) “Assessing the Impact of Bus Technology on Greenhouse Gas Emissions Along a Major Corridor: A Lifecycle Analysis”, Transportation Research, Part D, 20, pp. 7–11.
- Chan, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Patterson, Z. (2013) “Analysis of GHG Emissions for City Passenger Trains: Is Electricity an Obvious Option for Montreal Commuter Trains?” Journal of Transportation Technologies, Vol. 3, pp. 17-29.
- Miranda-Moreno, L., Chapman Lahti, A. (2013) “Temporal Trends and the Effect of Weather on Pedestrian Volumes: A Case Study of Montreal, Canada”, Transportation Research: Part D, 22, pp. 54–59.
- Miranda-Moreno, L., Heydari, M., Fu, L., Lord, D. (2013) “Bayesian Road Safety Analysis: Incorporation of Past Evidences and Effect of Prior Choice”, Journal of Safety Research, 46, pp. 31–40.
- Chan, S., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2013) "A Station-level Ridership Model for the Metro Network in Montreal, Quebec", Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 40(3), pp. 254-262.
- Strauss, J., Miranda-Moreno, L., (2013) “Spatial Modeling of Bicycle Activity at Signalized Intersections”, Journal of Transport and Land Use, 6(2), pp. 47-58.
- Mohamed M. G., Saunier N., Miranda-Moreno L., and Ukkusuri S. (2012) “A Clustering Regression Approach: A Comprehensive Injury Severity Analysis of Pedestrian-vehicle Crashes in New York, US and Montreal, Canada”, Journal of Safety Science, 54, pp. 27–37.
- Miranda-Moreno, L., Eluru, N., Lee-Gosselin M., Kreider T. (2012) “Impact of ICT Access on Personal Activity Space and Greenhouse Gas Production: Evidence from Quebec City, Canada”. Transportation, 39(5), pp. 895-918.
- Usman, T., Fu, L., Miranda-Moreno, L. (2012) “A Disaggregate Model for Quantifying the Safety effects of Winter Road Maintenance Activities at an Operational Level”. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 48, pp. 368–378.
- Strauss, J., Miranda-Moreno, L., Crouse, D., et. Al. (2012) “Investigating the Link between Cyclist Volumes and Pollution Levels along Bicycle Facilities in a Dense Urban Core”. Transportation Research, Part D, 17(8), pp. 619-625.
- Sahabi A., Miranda-Moreno L., Patterson, Z. Barla P., (2012) "Evaluating the Effects of Land Use and Strategies for Parking and Transit Supply on Mode Choice of Downtown Commuters", Journal of Transport and Land Use, 5(2), pp. 103-119.
- Hatzopoulou, M. Weichenthal, S. Dugum H., Miranda-Moreno L., Kulka R., Andersen R. and Goldberg M. (2012) “The Impact of Traffic Volume, Composition and Road Geometry on Personal Air Pollution Exposures Among Cyclists In Montreal, Canada”, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, 23, pp. 46–51.
- Ukkusuri, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Ramadurai, G., Isa-Tavarez, J., (2012). “The Role of Built Environment on Pedestrian Crash Frequency”, Journal of Safety Science, 50, 1141–1151.
- Eluru N., Bagheri M., Miranda-Moreno L., Fu, L., (2012). “A Latent Class Modeling Approach for Identifying Vehicle Driver Injury Severity Factors at Highway-railway Crossings”, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 47, pp. 119-127.