Stephen Leacock Building, Room 730
855 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2T7
E-Mail: aniruddha.das [at] mcgill.ca (Aniruddha (Bobby) Das)
Office: 730 Leacock
T 1530 - 1730
Medical sociology; aging and life course; biodemography; gender and sex; quantitative methods; social networks; Natural Language Processing.
(PhD, The University of Chicago, 2008). Das has been an Assistant Professor at McGill University since 2011. He is a life course scholar who works at the intersection of the social and biological sciences. His past research has focused on stress-metabolic pathways through which social pathologies get “under the skin.” A second cluster, based on evolutionary theories, has been on mechanisms connecting egocentric networks and other proximal ecologies to sex hormone levels, and downstream to social or sexual behavior. His current slew of projects is on “nature of nurture” patterns—genetic pleiotropy and gene-environment correlations—and their life course consequences.
- Das, Aniruddha. In press. “Social Integration, Self Rated Health…and Genes?” Journal of Aging and Health.
- Das, Aniruddha. In press. “Widowhood, Depression, and Blood Pressure: A U.S.-England Comparison.” Advances in Life Course Research. (DOI: 10.1016/j.alcr.2018.11.001)
- Das, Aniruddha. In press. “Loneliness Does (Not) Have Cardiometabolic Effects: A Longitudinal Study of Older Adults in Two Countries.” Social Science & Medicine. (DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.10.021)
- Das, Aniruddha. In press. ““Crossover” in Depressive Symptoms among Older Couples: Are Previous Findings Artifactual?” Journal of Aging and Health. (DOI: 10.1177/0898264318800919)
- Das, Aniruddha. In press. “Network Connections and Salivary Testosterone among Older U.S. Women: Social Modulation or Hormonal Causation?” Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences. (DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbx111)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2018. “Are Men’s Religious Ties Hormonally Regulated?” Adaptive Human Behavior and Physiology 4:306-320. (DOI: 10.1007/s40750-018-0094-3)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2017. ““Inflammaging” and Estradiol among Older U.S. Women: A Nationally Representative Longitudinal Study.” Biodemography and Social Biology 63:295-308. (DOI: 10.1080/19485565.2017.1403304)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2017. “Depression, Inflammation, and Physiological Risk in Late Life: A National Longitudinal Study.” Biodemography and Social Biology 63:131-147. (DOI: 10.1080/19485565.2017.1308245)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2017. “Dyadic Configurations of Sexual Problems among Older U.S. Adults: A National Study.” Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy 43:479-495. (DOI: 10.1080/0092623x.2016.1208128)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2016. “Psychosocial Distress and Inflammation: Which Way Does Causality Flow?” Social Science and Medicine 170:1-8. (DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.10.001)
- Das, Aniruddha, & Nicole Sawin.* 2016. “Social Modulation or Hormonal Causation? Linkages of Testosterone with Sexual Activity and Relationship Quality in a Nationally Representative Longitudinal Sample.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 45:2101–2115. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-016-0815-2)
- Das, Aniruddha, & Nicholas Otis.* 2016. “Sexual Contact in Childhood, Revictimization, and Lifetime Sexual and Psychological Outcomes.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 45:1117-1131. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-015-0620-3)
- Das, Aniruddha, & Stephanie Nairn.* 2016. “Religious Attendance and Physiological Problems in Late Life.” Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences 71:291-308. (DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbu089)
- Das, Aniruddha, & Stephanie Nairn.* 2014. “Conservative Christianity, Partnership, Hormones and Sex in Late Life.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 43:1403-1415. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-014-0273-7)
- Das, Aniruddha, & Stephanie Nairn.* 2013. “Race Differentials in Partnering Patterns Among Older U.S. Men: Influence of Androgens or Religious Participation?” Archives of Sexual Behavior 42:1119-1130. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-013-0096-y)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2013. “Spousal Loss and Health in Late Life: Moving Beyond Emotional Trauma.” Journal of Aging and Health 25:221-242. (DOI: 10.1177/0898264312464498)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2013. “How Does Race Get “Under the Skin”?: Inflammation, Weathering, and Metabolic Problems in Late Life.” Social Science & Medicine 77:75-83. (DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.11.007)
- Waite, Linda J., and Aniruddha Das. 2010. “Families, Social Life, and Well Being at Older Ages.” Demography 47:S87-S109. (DOI: 10.1353/dem.2010.0009)
- Waite, Linda J., Edward O. Laumann, Aniruddha Das, and L. Philip Schumm. 2009. “Sexuality: Measures of Partnerships, Practices, Attitudes, and Problems in the National Social Life, Health and Aging Study.” Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences 64B: i56-i66. (DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbp038)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2009. “Sexual Harassment at Work in the United States.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 38:909-921. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-008-9354-9)
- Das, Aniruddha, William L. Parish, and Edward O. Laumann. 2009. “Masturbation in Urban China.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 38:108-120. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-007-9222-z)
- Laumann, Edward O., Aniruddha Das, and Linda J. Waite. 2008. “Sexual Dysfunction Among Older Adults: Prevalence and Risk Factors from a Nationally Representative U.S. Probability Sample of Men and Women 57 to 85 Years of Age.” Journal of Sexual Medicine 5:2300-2311. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00974.x)
- Das, Aniruddha. 2007. “Masturbation in the United States.” Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy 33:301-317. doi:10.1080/00926230701385514)
- Parish, William L., Aniruddha Das, and Edward O. Laumann. 2006. “Sexual Harassment of Women in Urban China.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 35:411-425. (DOI: 10.1007/s10508-006-9079-6)
- Das, Aniruddha, Edward O. Laumann, and Linda Waite. 2012. “Sexual Expression Over the Life Course: Results from Three Landmark Surveys.” In Sexualities Over the Life Course: Emerging Perspectives, edited by John DeLamater and Laura Carpenter (pp. 236-259). New York: NYU Press.
- Das, Aniruddha, and Edward O. Laumann. 2010. “How to Get Valid Answers from Survey Questions: What We Learned from Asking about Sexual Behavior and the Measurement of Sexuality.” Pp. 9-26 in The SAGE Handbook of Measurement, edited by Geoffrey Walford, Madhu Viswanathan, and Eric Tucker. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Waite, Linda J., Aniruddha Das, and Edward O. Laumann. 2008. “Sexual Activity, Later Life.” In Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, edited by Deborah Carr. Woodbridge, CT: Macmillan Reference USA.
SOCI 385: Sociology of Human Sexuality
SOCI 461: Quantitative Data Analysis
SOCI 588: Biosociology/Biodemography
SOCI 623: Latent Variable Models