BSW Program Field Placements
Field placements provide opportunities for students to apply theories and skills in a practice setting. Under the supervision of the McGill BSW Field Placement Coordinator and a qualified field supervisor from a social services agency, department, or organization, students gain practical experience working with diverse communities and populations.
- At the BSW level, field placement experiences aim to prepare students for the generalist practice of social work.
- Students are expected to be functional in French (comprehension, spoken, and written) for the field placement components of the BSW program.
- BSW students in U2 are not permitted to complete their U2 field placement in an out-of-province social services agency, department, or organization in the spring/summer semester.
- Some field placements require a high level of French.
- Not all social services agencies, departments, or organizations offer placements at each academic level.
- Availability at any given social services agency, department, or organization is subject to change before students are placed.
- Students must be prepared to travel at least one hour to the field placement.
- Students should consider field placement as opportunities to be challenged: to work with unfamiliar populations or issues.
- Specific course prerequisites may be required for some social services agencies, departments, or organizations.
- Students are not permitted to do their field placement in a social services department in which they have previous work experience.
- The School of Social Work cannot guarantee specific placements or locations.
- Students must work with the Field Placement Coordinator throughout the placement process.
Link to Field Placement Options
The following includes a list of organizations that have offered BSW field placements within the past few years. Not all sites have the capacity to take a student each year. All questions and concerns as well as preferences can be discussed with the BSW Field Coordinator.
Please see BSW List of Field Placements.