Obtaining and maintaining funding throughout your studies is an important component of life as a graduate student. This page contains information on ways to fund yourself throughout your time at the School.
Funding, scholarships & awards
McGill Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies' (GPS) Funding site is McGill's primary hub for all funding opportunities. The site includes information, resources, and directions for applying for funding. Key funding agencies include: SSHRC (Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada), NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), CIHR (Canadian Institutes of Health Research), FQRSC (Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture), FQRNT (Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies), & FRQS (Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé).
Current and incoming students may be interested in the following resources:
- SIS Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards page: lists a wide range of scholarships and awards available through the School and external LIS-related sources.
- School of Information Studies listings in the Graduate Fellowships & Awards Calendar.
- Faculty of Arts Awards & Grants page. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for applicable Faculty awards.
- McGill Career Planning Services (CaPS) Financing page. Includes a link to the extensive CaPS External Scholarships database and resources to assist in drafting applications.
SIS Internal Travel Grant
The School has limited funding for PhD, MLIS, and MISt students who are giving a paper or poster presentation at a conference. The maximum funding for each 12 month period is $500. Applications should be given to the Administrative Assistant at least six weeks before the conference. Travel grant forms.
Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel (GREAT) Awards
The School allocates a number of Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel (GREAT) Awards per annum for full-time students, as funded by the Faculty. The value of these varies. Travel grant forms. Note: For 2014/15, students are to continue using the SIS GREAT form.
- McGill Scholarships & Student Aid Office (SSAO) - Information on financial aid, including bursaries and loans.
International student? International student aid is administered by the SSAO office. The office can also provide assistance with budgeting and navigating the expenses of living and studying in Canada and assist with filling and submitting income tax forms.
Student group funding
Student groups are encouraged to contact MISSA and PGSS to enquire about funding. In addition, groups may make an application to the School for event-related funding. Form here.
Have you received an external award or grant? Please keep the School up to date with your good news!