An external scholarship is an umbrella term for any source of funding for students (e.g. award, grant, fellowship) that comes from an organization or association outside of McGill. The funding that is offered can be for study and research at McGill or abroad, for international work placements or unpaid internships.
If your association/organization has a scholarship for students and would like to be listed on this webpage, please consult the External Scholarship Posting Guideline
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
For Canadian and International Students
Pivot Funding Database (VPN required for off-campus access)
This is one of the most comprehensive sources of funding for McGill students, faculty, staff and researchers. You can search for funding in any discipline and country. You must create your own account to access the content.
Grant Connect (VPN required for off-campus access)
If you are looking for research grants, this tool is for you. This site connects you with funders who share your cause. You can search Canadian grantmaking foundations, corporate community investment programs as well as government funding programs.
- McGill Enriched Educational Opportunities (EEOs)
A need-based bursary for field study, unpaid work, research internships, research abroad and certain music competition/invitational events.
- Ad Standards Scholarship
For undergraduate students in advertising or marketing programs. Deadline: end-February.
- Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Studies - Awards and Scholarships
For students in studies/projects in northern fieldwork. Canadians or PRs. Deadline: end-January.
- Association Québécoise de codéveloppement professionnel (AQCP)
Funding for graduate students doing research, part-time or full-time. Deadline: mid-November.
- Bank of Canada - Scholarships & Student Paper Awards
Various scholarships: Women in Master's Economics or Finance (October); Students with disabilities (Deadline: early-August); Indigenous Students.
Student Paper Awards: For both undergraduate and graduate students in Economics or Finance. Deadline: mid-July.
- Barbados Canada Foundation - Barbados Canadian Friendship Scholarship
For students in financial need. Must be a citizen of Barbados. Deadline: Mid-June.
- Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE)
For students in engineering. Canadians or PRs. Deadline: mid-March.
- Canadian Association of Diploma in Agriculture Programs - Excellence Award
For students in fields related to agriculture or agri-food. Must reside in Canada. Deadline: early-May.
- Canadian Dam Association
For postgraduate students with a focus on dam safety and/or the management of dams. Deadline: mid-may.
- Canadian Foundation for Food and Agricultural Education
Various scholarships for graduate students in agricultural and related studies. Must be a PR or Canadian.
- Canadian Hard of Hearing Association
For students in early childhood education, nursing, medicine, journalism. Must be either hard of hearing, deafened or oral deaf. Deadline: end-April.
- Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research - Scholarships
For graduate students specializing in research related to Veterans and their families.
- Canadian-Italian Business & Professional Association (CIBPA) Foundation
For full-time students with Italian origin. Must be a Quebec resident and Canadian citizen. Deadline: end-September.
- Canadian Japanese Mennonite Scholarship
For graduate students in a Canadian university engaged in research that will assist the protection of minority or human rights in Canada. Deadline: early-April.
- Canadian Wildlife Federation - Funding
Scholarships and bursaries for students who pursue research in environment, wildlife or conservation in Canada. Must be a PR or Canadian. Deadline: end-May.
- Centre d’expertise et de recherche en infrastructures urbaines (CERIU) - Awards
For students in urban planning, landscape architecture, engineering and related disciplines. Deadline: end-October.
- Consulate General of Japan in Montreal - MEXT Scholarship Program
Several scholarships for students for both Canadians and non-Canadians: Japanese Studies Students (for undergraduate students majoring in Japanese language/culture. Deadline: Feb). For Research Students Scholarship and Undergraduate Students Scholarship: more info on their website in April. MEXT Scholarship Information Session (usually hold in February).
- Comité québécois pour les jeunes en difficulté de comportement (CQJDC) - Jeunes chercheurs
For researchers/graduate students in psychology, education, and similar fields, Topics focus on young people with social, emotional and behavioral difficulties. Deadline: mid-March.
- David Suzuki Fellowships
For graduate students in research. Also, for First Nations, Inuit or Métis students at any level of study. Deadline: end-January.
- Desjardins Scholarships
Scholarships for post-secondary students in any field of study, anywhere in Quebec or Ontario. Deadline: end-March.
- Forest Products Association of Canada - Blue Sky Award
For students in projects relevant to sustainability forestry. Deadline: early-December.
- Fondation du loisir Abitibi-Témiscamingue
For students from the region of Abitibi-Témiscamingue, pursuing studies in recreation, physical education and related fields. Deadline: mid-February.
- Foundation TALAN
For graduate university students in projects relevant to language and neuro developmental learning disorders. Canadian citizens or PRs. Deadline: end-May.
- Foundation CPA Scholarships
For students in management/business. Deadline: mid-September.
- Foundation of the Canadian Lebanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FCCICL) - Scholarships
For Canadian-Lebanese university students registered at a Quebec University. Must be a Canadian citizen or hold the status of Canadian resident. Deadline: end-March.
- Gaulin Foundation - Sarah Gaulin Memorial Scholarship
For applicants who have an ongoing mental health condition for a min. of 2 years.
- Hydro One Awards
Several awards for students in STEM field, including one award for women in Engineering. Must be a Canadian citizen or PR. Deadline: early-November.
- Hellenic Scholarships Foundation
Several scholarships for students of Hellenic origin. One scholarship for a student pursuing studies in Hellenic language, history or culture, regardless of ethnic origin. Deadline: mid-November.
- Ivarson Soil Scholarship
The Dr. Karl C. Ivarson Soil Science Scholarship provides financial support to students in soil science at a Canadian university.
- Keith Gilmore Foundation - Keith Gilmore Prize for Beef Cattle Innovation
For students in senor undergraduate, veterinary, or post-grad studies in programs related to the livestock industry. Deadline: end-May.
- La France au Canada (Consulat général de France à Québec) - Programme de bourses Frontenac
For Quebec students to study in master's programs in France. Canadian citizens or PRs. Deadline: early-May.
- Loisir et Sport Abitibi-Témiscamingue
For students from the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region pursing studies in Sports and Recreation or related fields. Deadline: mid-February.
- Loran Scholars Foundation
For students on the basis of character, service and the promise of leadership.
- MADD Canada - The Louise Joanne Twerdy Leadership Bursary
For students who have themselves been severely injured or who have had a parent (or legal guardian) or sibling killed or severely injured as a result of an impaired driving crash. Canadian citizens or PRs. Deadline: end-May.
- Mining Association of Canada - Paul Stothart Memorial Scholarship in Mineral Economics
For undergraduates in Economics degree or graduates in Economics or MBA. Deadline: mid-May.
- Montreal Lakeshore University Women’s Club Scholarships
For female students. Must be West Island residents. Canadian citizens or PRs.
- P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship
For women from other countries pursing a graduate study in the USA and Canada.
- Réseau Inondations InterSectoriel du Québec (RISSQ)
Research or internships scholarships for students whose research or projects are aligned with RISSQ's mission. Deadline: early-December.
- Singapore Food Agency
For Singaporean students pursuing a degree in science-related disciplines.
- The Jewish Community Foundation of Montreal
JCF offers numerous scholarships for CEGEP and university graduate and undergraduate studies. Deadline: early-May.
- Transportation Association of Canada - Scholarships
For students interested in transportation and engineering. Canadian citizens or PRs.
- True Sport - Lyle Makosky Values and Ethics in Sport Fund
For students active in Canadian sport. Canadian citizens or PRs. Deadline: end-April.
- Türkiye Scholarships
For students to pursue full-time degree programs at universities in Turkey. Deadline: mid-February.
- Union des municipalités du Québec (UMQ) Bursary
For master's students whose research projects have a focus on Quebec municipalities (municipal governance, territory, infrastructure, taxation and more). Deadline: early-April.
- West Vancouver Foundation - Hartvikson Memorial Scholarship
For students in sustainable agriculture agriculture and food systems program. Deadline: Early-March.
Applying for scholarships (Scholarships Canada)