McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Thu, 07/18/2024 - 18:12

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

Get Help !

Thompson Ahern International

is McGill's contracted Customs Broker.

Please visit their website for a list of forms related to Custom Clearance.

boxes stacked up
All goods imported into Canada are subject to Provincial and Federal taxes, Duties and Excise taxes must be cleared through Canada Customs in order for the goods to be released to the end-user.

In order to manage all of the University’s imports, Procurement Services has negotiated a contract with a licensed customs broker (see below). The services provided by the customs broker incorporate payment of duties & taxes (if applicable), freight, and all other chargeable formalities, to be reimbursed by the University.

Departments expecting an urgent shipment and who do not wish to encounter any delays at customs should contact Procurement Services or the University's customs broker with the waybill number, flight number, etc. Revenue Canada - The customs program is now part of the new Canada Border Services Agency, as such they are entitled to spot-check any shipment. They may also require further information pertaining to the shipment regardless of the declared value.

Importing Goods Into Canada

man signing a document

When procuring goods from suppliers outside of Canada, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency requires that certain forms be duly completed by the supplier and accompany the goods (attached to the waybill). Failure to do so will result in delays at customs and possibly higher duty rates.

  • Canada Customs Invoice or Supplier's commercial invoice (dependent on the value)

  • Certificate of Origin and HS Code

  • NAFTA certificate

  • Declaration for Import of Biological Products

  • Import Permits and/or veterinary certificate

For further information on import regulations, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Exporting Goods Out of Canada

trucks on road

The McGill Community frequently requires the export of certain goods to the US and other countries for a variety of reasons (i.e. donation, repair, research collaboration, etc.).

As each country has their own importation regulations resulting in complicated procedures and paperwork, we suggest contacting McGill's customs broker who will assist you with the process and paperwork.

Customs Broker

Thompson Ahern International is McGill's contracted Customs Broker.

Please visit Thompson Ahern International's website for a list of forms related to Custom Clearance:

  • Canada Customs Invoice (CCI)
  • NAFTA Certificate of Origin
  • Statement of Origin for commercial importations of less than CDN $1600.00
  • Export documents

Need assistance?

For any questions or more detailed information pertaining to Customs Clearance, Imports and Exports, please contact Thompson Ahern's Customer Representative, mcgill [at] (Ms Angela Logan), by telephone at


Back to top