Institute for Health and Social Policy
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health
Charles Meredith House, B7
1130 Pine Avenue West
Montréal, Québec H3A 1A3 CANADA
Email: jill.baumgartner [at] mcgill.ca (Jill Baumgartner)
Jill Baumgartner and her research group focus on understanding what factors influence people's exposure to environmental pollutants, their impact on health, and interventions to address them. They design studies that involve measurement of pollution exposures and provide unique data sets to address grand challenges in global environmental health. These projects involve interdisciplinary collaborations to answer questions like:
- What is the impact of improved energy technology, housing, and transportation policies on health?
- Are pollutants from different sources (e.g., wood combustion, traffic, industry) more harmful to health?
- How do early exposures to environmental pollutants impact disease development later in life?
- Follow-up of the VHEMBE (Venda Health Examination of Mothers, Babies and their Environment) Study
- Sustainable Cities and Environmental Health
- Policy evaluation - health and air pollution impacts of household energy transitions
- Urbanization, nutrition and cardiovascular disease
PhD in Population Health Sciences and Environment & Resources: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Lai A, Carter E, Shan M, Kun N, Clark S, Ezzati M, Wiedinmyer C, Yang XD, Baumgartner J, Schauer JJ. Chemical composition and source apportionment of ambient, household, and personal exposures to PM2.5 in communities using biomass stoves in rural China. Science of the Total Environment (2019) 646: 309-319.
Snider G, Carter E, Clark S, Tseng J, Yang XD, Ezzati M, Schauer JJ, Wiedinmyer C, Baumgartner, J. Impacts of stove use patterns and outdoor air quality on household air pollution and cardiovascular mortality in southwestern China.Environment International (2018) 117: 116-124.
Hadley, M.B., Baumgartner J., Vedanthan, R. Developing a Clinical Approach to Air Pollution and Cardiovascular Health.Circulation (2018) 137: 725-742.
Magalhaes, S., Baumgartner, J. and Weichenthal, S., Impacts of exposure to black carbon, elemental carbon, and ultrafine particles from indoor and outdoor sources on blood pressure in adults: A review of epidemiological evidence. Environmental Research (2018)161: 345-353.
Baumgartner, J., Carter, E., Schauer, J.J., Ezzati, M., Daskalopoulou, S.S., Valois, M.F., Shan, M. and Yang, X., Household air pollution and measures of blood pressure, arterial stiffness and central haemodynamics. Heart (2018) Epub ahead of print.