Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is the minimum CGPA for acceptance into graduate studies in Physiology?
A minimum CGPA of 3.2 (B+) is required for an application to be considered or a GPA of 3.4 in the last 2 years). See Application & Admission section on this web site for more details.

2. What are the pre-requisite courses needed to get into graduate studies?
There are no specific pre-requisite courses, however it is recommended that applicants show a strong science background. Exposure to some laboratory work is an asset.

3. How do students pick their research supervisors?
All graduate students must have a supervisor who has an appointment in the Department. Lists of our academic and associate members can be found under the Faculty and Staff Directory on this web site with links to their research interests and contact information. The student can then choose an academic whose area of research is of interest and contact them for an interview or further information regarding their area of research.

4. Do I have to have a supervisor before I can be accepted for admission?
It is not necessary for you to have a research supervisor at the time of application, however, acceptance is contingent on finding a supervisor and receiving final acceptance from Graduate Faculty.

5. What Scholarships can I apply for to support my graduate studies?
See question on stipends or refer to

6. Are there any graduate courses in Physiology offered during the summer session?
No graduate courses are offered during the summer in Physiology, however, in some instances, a student can be permitted to register for the summer term in order to acquire an additional and final term of residency to complete their program.

7. I have a medical degree from my own country. Can I be accepted into the Ph.D. program in Physiology?
Upon approval of the Graduate Students Admissions and Advisory Committee, applicants holding a medical degree from another country may be admitted to the M.Sc. program with an option to transfer to the Ph.D.

8. I have completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from another university. Based on my transcript, can you tell me if I have a good chance to be accepted into the graduate program?
For more detailed information, please refer to the Application & Admission section on this web site.

9. I have found a professor who has agreed to be my supervisor although my marks are below the B+ level and my background is not strong in Physiology. What are my chances of being accepted for graduate studies?
Having found a supervisor does not guarantee acceptance for admission. Your supervisor may wish to write a supporting letter to accompany your application. Although such a letter may weigh positively in your favour, it is not a deciding factor. A complete application must be submitted in order for the Graduate Students Admissions and Advisory Committee to make a favourable decision for admission.

10. What is the minimum TOEFL  score required by students coming from non English-speaking countries?
Minimum: TOEFL score of 86 (internet based) and IELTS overall band of 6.5. All test scores are to be submitted directly to McGill University electronically by the test center using the code 0935. The Graduate Students Admissions and Advisory Committee reserves the right to make their decision regarding acceptance based on the overall application. For more information please see Application and Admission section on this web site

11. What happens if I cannot find a supervisor in time for registration?
You cannot be admitted to a program if you do not have a supervisor.

12. What do most graduates do after getting their degree?
The study of physiology prepares you for a wide range of careers. You can apply knowledge of physiology directly, choosing a career in the biomedical sphere or you can use the general skills and knowledge to pursue a career in various areas: For example, audiologist, biochemist, biomedical engineer, biotechnology industry worker, brewer technician, dietician/nutritionist, echocardiographer, health services worker, nurse, paramedic, patent law advisor, pathology technician, psychologist, rehabilitation specialist, veterinary science, etc. For more information see McGill’s Career and Placement Service at:

13. Where do most graduate students live?
Apartment listings can be found on the McGill Student Services web site: under off campus housing. Additional information can also be found on the McGill Residences at

14. What about stipends?
All Physiology graduate students receive financial support. Any faculty member who agrees to supervise a graduate student who does not have their own funding, i.e. a fellowship, is financially responsible for that student. However, all students are encouraged to secure their own funding through a variety of competitions administered by the University, private, provincial or federal agencies. Information on fellowships and awards competitions at McGill can be found at

Once admitted, students may acquire additional funding through teaching assistantships and invigilation or apply for limited employment through Student Services work study programs at

International students from countries that have signed a tuition fee agreement with Quebec may be exempted from the higher tuition fees and should check with their Ministry of Education or consult:

Back to top