FOD 8: Communicating assessment findings and management plans to patients and/or families
- This EPA focuses on the application of communication skills and strategies to convey information, engaging the patient and/or family in shared decision-making.
- This EPA also includes teaching the patient and/or family about the diagnosis and management.
- This does not include complex situations such as discussions involving disclosing serious diagnoses, end-of-life decision-making, or suspected child maltreatment.
Direct observation by supervisor, or Core or TTP resident
Use form 1. Form collects information on:
- Age: neonate; infant; preschool; school age; adolescent
- Setting: inpatient; outpatient; emergency department; community; on call/after hours
Collect 5 observations of achievement
- At least 1 neonate, infant or preschool
- At least 1 school age
- At least 1 adolescent
- At least 2 observations by supervisor
- At least 2 different assessors
- COM 1.1 Establish rapport with the patient and family
- COM 1.6 Tailor the approach to communication to the needs of the patient and/or family
- COM 1.1 Engage the patient in the discussion as appropriate for their developmental stage
- COM 3.1 Convey information about medical course and management plan
- COM 3.1 Use plain language and avoid medical jargon
- COM 3.1 Use strategies to verify and validate the understanding of the patient and/or family
- COM 4.3 Use communication skills and strategies that help the patient and/or family make informed decisions
- COM 4.3 Solicit and answer questions from the patient and/or family
- COM 4.1 Communicate in a manner that is respectful, non-judgmental and culturally aware