FOD 1: Recognizing deteriorating and/or critically ill patients and initiating stabilization and management
- This EPA focuses on recognizing when a patient requires timely intervention and/or an increased level of care, and initiating necessary interventions including pediatric basic life support and advanced life support, when needed.
- It includes identifying when further assistance is required and promptly seeking it.
- This EPA does not include the delivery room setting and does not include leading the resuscitation or ongoing management of the patient.
- This EPA may be observed in simulation.
Direct observation or case review by supervisor or senior resident
Use form 1. Form collects information on:
- Type of observation: direct; case review
- Age: neonate; infant; preschool; school age; adolescent
- Clinical presentation: decreased level of consciousness; fever; hypo/hypertension; hypoxemia; pain; seizure; tachy/bradycardia; tachy/bradypnea; other presentation (please specify)
- Setting: inpatient; outpatient; emergency department; community; simulation
Collect at least 5 observations of achievement
- At least 1 neonate
- At least 1 infant
- At least 1 preschool, school age or adolescent
- At least 3 different clinical presentations
- No more than 2 simulations
- At least 1 observation by a pediatrician
- At least 3 different observers
- ME 2.2 Provide assessment and initial stabilization of ABCs
- ME 2.1 Determine the acuity of the issue and the priorities for patient care
- ME 3.4 Perform the sequence of resuscitation as per established protocols
- ME 2.2 Select and/or interpret appropriate investigations
- ME 2.4 Reassess clinical status and re-evaluate and adjust resuscitative and diagnostic efforts as appropriate
- COL 1.3 Work effectively with other members of the health care team
- ME 1.4 Recognize urgent problems that need the involvement of more experienced colleagues and seek their assistance