COD 2: Resuscitating and stabilizing critically ill patients
- This EPA focuses on the resuscitation and stabilization of critically ill pediatric patients of all ages.
- This EPA includes identifying priorities for management and the need for intensivist and/or other specialist support.
- It includes participating in a debrief session after the acute event.
- This EPA does not include ongoing inpatient management of acutely ill pediatric patients.
- This EPA may be observed in the simulation setting.
Direct observation by supervisor
Use form 1. Form collects information on:
- Age: neonate; infant; preschool; school age; adolescent
- Setting: inpatient; outpatient; emergency department; community; on call/after hours; simulation
- Presentation (check all that apply): respiratory; hemodynamic; fluid and electrolyte/metabolic; neurologic; other presentation (please specify)
Collect 5 observations of achievement
- At least 1 neonate
- At least 1 infant/preschool
- At least 1 school aged
- At least 1 adolescent
- No more than 1 in simulation setting
- At least 1 of each presentation
- COL 1.2 Work effectively as the leader of a resuscitation team
- ME 2.1 Determine the acuity of the issue and the priorities for patient care
- ME 2.2 Focus the assessment, performing in a time-effective manner without excluding key elements
- ME 3.4 Perform the sequence of resuscitation as per established protocols
- ME 2.2 Select and/or interpret appropriate investigations
- ME 2.2 Synthesize patient information to determine differential diagnosis
- ME 2.4 Develop and implement focused treatment strategies
- ME 4.1 Determine the need for and timing of referral to another health care professional
- COL 1.3 Apply closed loop communication in urgent or crisis situations to work effectively with physicians and other colleagues in the health care professions
- P 4.1 Maintain capacity for professional clinical performance in stressful situations