Change of Plans?

Once your Minerva Study Away application is “Faculty Approved”, your McGill student record is updated to non-resident status for the equivalent McGill term(s). Any McGill courses for which you were registered are dropped and cannot be re-instated. You will not be able to register for McGill courses with a non-resident status.

If your plans have changed and you will not be studying at another university, you must cancel your application.

McGill Exchange Programs

  • Please consult the McGill Abroad’s FAQ page for information on the cancellation process.
  • At any stage of the application process, you must submit the "Request to Cancel Exchange term" form.
  • If you need additional information, please email the McGill Exchange Office at studentexchanges [at]

Independent Study Away Fall/Winter/Summer (including online)

  • If your Minerva Study Away application has been “Faculty approved”, you must submit the Cancellation of an Independent Study Away term form.
  • Submit your request by the following deadlines:
    • For Fall and Summer term requests: August 15
    • For Winter term requests: December 15
    • You must also cancel any applications you made to host universities that you will not be attending by their deadlines and instructions.

Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT/AEHE including online)

If you wish to drop or withdraw from a course after registering for the course at the Quebec host university, you must follow the drop/withdrawal procedures of the host university AND submit this change on the IUT/AEHE application.

  • WARNING: Failure to cancel your application may result in receiving a failing grade for the course at the end of the term and/or being charged fees.

Good to Know

Cancellations must be made by government-imposed deadlines. You may be charged an administrative fee or encounter limited access to your Minerva record if your cancellation request is received after government reporting deadlines have passed.

Back to top