Reassessments and Rereads
Reassessments and rereads for Arts courses are subject to the deadlines, rules and regulations as outlined in the eCalendar. Reassessments and/or Rereads in courses not in the Faculty of Arts are subject to the deadlines, rules, and regulations of the relevant faculty. Additional information outlined below:
- For Faculty of Arts course work other than an official final exam (term papers, mid-terms, assignments, quizzes, etc.).
- Requests must be submitted to the Faculty of Arts unit/department, which offers the course.
- Deadline: 10 working days after the graded material has been made available to students.
- Reassessments should normally be completed within 20 working days of the request.
- Note: For graduating students, reassessment requests will delay graduation until those issues are resolved.
- For Faculty of Arts official final exams only (exam must be listed on the Final Exam schedule; this can include take-home exams).
- Requests are submitted to Service Point for students registered in the Faculty of Arts and Science; students in other faculties must contact their Student Affairs Office.
- Deadlines: March 31 for Fall term courses; September 30 for Winter & Summer term courses.
- Note: For graduating students, reread requests will delay graduation until those issues are resolved.
In both cases, rather than recorrect the work and then grade it as they would have done themselves, reviewers assess the appropriateness of the original grade based, for example, on the application of the grading key to the student's work. If a grade is deemed unfair, it is changed, whether the new grade is higher or lower than the original, i.e., the reviewer's grade takes precedence over the original grade.
Recommended Steps for Students for Rereads and/or Reassessments:
- Review the graded material carefully.
- Review the graded material with the instructor and discuss your concerns about the grade received.
- If no agreement is reached and you wish to submit the request for reassessment/reread, clarify how your work will be reviewed with the department.
- Consider meeting with an OASIS faculty adviser to discuss options/circumstances, if you did not receive a passing grade in the course.
- Submit a request for a Reread by the deadline directly to Service Point or submit your request for a Reassessment to the Faculty of Arts department.
Please note that a supplemental grade will not be entered on your Minerva record as a result of a Reread or Reassessment.