This message is sent on behalf of Chris Buddle, Associate Provost (Teaching and Academic Programs), and Fabrice Labeau, Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning), on behalf of the Recovery and Operations Resumption Committee (ROR).
La version française suivra dans un courriel distinct.
Dear members of the McGill community,
Today marks the last day of final exams and the last day of the Fall 2021 semester. With a record number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec today, the situation is both concerning and very fluid.
We will continue to update the Coronavirus site and send information via email over the next two weeks. We know our emails may not be the most entertaining reading you do over the holidays, but they are available should you wish to consult them.
Update on the Winter 2022 term
- Many students and instructors are awaiting news about the upcoming term to be able to make plans for travel, courses and more.
- We hear your frustration. The situation is still changing, and we will communicate as quickly as we can.
- We expect to have an update by Thursday.
Library spaces closed until January 10
- Please note that all physical libraries spaces will be closed to the McGill community from today at 17:00 to Sunday January, 9, 2022 inclusive.
- In the week of January 3, Library staff will prepare for different scenarios based on the current directives. More information will be available from the Library site.
- Virtual services will continue during this time.
- The rapid-testing site at the Trottier building downtown will be open tomorrow, December 22 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Note that this centre, which will reopen January 3, 2022, is designed for asymptomatic people only. As well, a rapid-testing pilot site is scheduled to open on the Macdonald campus starting January 3, 2022, for at least two weeks.
- Please note that due to the current epidemiological context, the reliability of a positive rapid test result is quite high. Therefore, the probability of a positive rapid test result being confirmed by a PCR test in the public system is much higher than earlier this month.
Positive Cases on Campus – December 12 – 18
- Last week, from December 12 to 18, a total of 27 positive COVID-19 cases were present on our campuses during their contagion period, up from 12 the week before. Given the overall increases in cases in Quebec, we expected that we would see an increase among McGillians, as we are all part of the broader community.
- We saw one instance of transmission at Macdonald campus last week, when two staff members ate lunch in close proximity without masks. These numbers are included in the 27 positive cases reported in the cast tracker.
- The 27 positive cases on campus also include all cases present in exam rooms during their contagion period (48 hours prior to developing symptoms). There is NO evidence of transmission as a result of these cases in exam rooms.
- An additional 54 members of the McGill community reported positive tests to the Case Management Group but were not on campus while contagious.
Operational status update
- With government directives changing frequently, we will be updating the Operational status tracker on the Coronavirus site regularly so you can see what is open or closed, and what is allowed. We invite you to use this handy tool.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (provides mental health and other resources for employees)
- Keep.meSAFE (a mental health counselling service for students)
- COVID-19 self-evaluation form
- Government of Canada – Travel and Tourism
- Facilities Management and Ancillary Services – Holiday Bulletin 2021
The current situation has been incredibly challenging for all of us and we thank all of our students, faculty, and staff for all of your excellent work this Fall, and throughout the pandemic. We hope that you will find some time during the holiday break to relax and recharge. Please stay safe and socialize responsibly over the holidays.
Associate Provost (Teaching and Academic Programs)
Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning)