Questions & Answers

The following questions were submitted to the Faculty Development Office following the Orientation Workshop for 'New' Faculty.

It was mentioned that an orientation is provided by University on a regular basis for Tenure Track – why is it not provided for CAS?  Aside from this session today, does the University provide any other orientation – what about “human resource” department to provide other general info about the University?
As far as we know, the university does not provide an orientation session for CAS. Some individual Faculties have their own orientation session (as we do in the Faculty of Medicine), and there is also an orientation session for new faculty offered by the Office of Sponsored Research.

How to become involved/support knowledge translation as an important concept and mandate from the Faculty?
The best person to contact regarding knowledge translation initiatives in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is Dr. Shari Baum, the Associate Dean of Research. In addition, the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy hosted the 1st National Knowledge Translation Conference in Rehabilitation on May 4 & 5, 2016 in Montreal, Quebec.

How are Chairs trained for their positions?  How do we make sure Chairs are aware of the different realities of their faculty (i.e. the importance of Tenure Track to some, and not others; mentorship) so they are better able to support them?
The chairs meet regularly with the Dean and the Vice-Dean Academic Affairs to review roles and responsibilities. We encourage all new faculty to meet with their Chairs to discuss their career goals, their perspective on mentorship needs, or other common issues that arise in day-to-day work.

How can I become more involved in informal teaching?  How can I be sure to receive feedback on my teaching?
There are different ways to become more involved in informal teaching. The best way to start is to make your desire and interest known as broadly as possible, including informing your Chair or Divisional Director, the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Program Director in your department, and/or the site director or clinical placement coordinator. You may also wish to browse the Centre for Medical Education website in order to discover specific areas of research and development in medical education at McGill.

Is there information available on best practices for resident assessment?
There are a number of educational journals that regularly feature articles on resident assessment. Some of these journals are listed at:

Systematic reviews of best evidence in medical education are also available at the following site:

How do I balance individual research and collaborative research and receive appropriate credit for each?
The answer to this depends, of course, on the nature of your research.  In some fields, collaboration is essential, whereas in others, investigators work more independently.  However, at the early stages of your career, it is important to ensure that you demonstrate independence and/or take a leadership role in the research.  You can, thus, work collaboratively, as long as you are the first or senior author of papers emerging from the work.

What are the expectations regarding my involvement outside my own department or school and how might I get involved (e.g., special interest groups)?
The expectations of involvement outside your department or school need to be verified/clarified with your Chair or Director. The opportunities to get involved are many. Here are some websites that will allow you to explore various educational opportunities in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and beyond:

Faculty Development
Centre for Medical Education
Continuing Professional Development
Teaching and Learning Services
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

Is there McGill pilot funding available?
The Office of the VPRIR has recently announced some new internal funding initiatives to support high-risk research and research with commercialization potential.  Details and deadlines have not yet been announced, but it is important to check their website and join the listservs managed by the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR).  There have not been many internal funding opportunities in the recent past.

Regarding funding for students, how does one find internal fellowships for students?  Are there workshops for students on how to get funding?
The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office provides information on fellowship opportunities for students.  Any Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences-specific opportunities would be announced by the office of Associate Dean (Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies), Elaine Davis.  GPS, along with Teaching & Learning Services (TLS) organizes annual funding workshops for students.

Are there a minimum number of teaching responsibilities in the different types of teaching (e.g. undergraduate teaching, graduate supervision)?
There is no faculty-wide minimum number of teaching responsibilities in the various domains of teaching. There is an expectation that all faculty members will teach, but teaching is defined broadly: formal course teaching, graduate student supervision, clinical teaching, continuing professional development for peers, curriculum development and mentorship. It is important to discuss teaching responsibilities and expectations with your Departmental Chair or equivalent.

How can we find science writers to help with grants?
The Association of Science Writers of Canada offers to circulate requests to its membership. The Association can help put you in touch with a scientist based in Montreal who may be able to help.

Their contact information is:
Association of Science Writers of Canada
P.O. Box 75, Station A
Toronto, ON M5W 1A2
Tel: 1-800-796-8595
Email: office [at]

When submitting a research grant, when do we go through the research institute vs the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences?
If your laboratory or clinical research activity is located at the RI MUHC you are required to submit your application through the grants office at the RI MUHC. If you are campus based your operating grant is administered through the OSR. Please note that the exception is NSERC grant applications as all such grant applications are administered through the OSR. Salary awards in general require Faculty approval. Why would this be? The indirect costs paid by either the Federal or Provincial agencies that pay for heat, lighting, telephone etc are paid to the Institute or Campus depending on where the grants are administered.

As a clinician, why would I pursue a tenure VS non-tenure promotion track?
Pursuing a tenured faculty position at a university is a personal career decision. Being on a tenure-track appointment generally involves an emphasis on research and protected time is provided for the pursuit of research activities. Further, the Faculty and/or University is responsible for a portion of your salary.

If one remains non-tenure track, what is the need for promotion? Any particular benefits of promotion?
Promotion through the professorial ranks is a distinction, whether you are on a tenure-track or non-tenure track appointment. It recognizes sustained excellence in the domains of teaching, research and other scholarly contributions. Promotion is a highlight on your curriculum vitae and for your career progression.

How can I get a McGill ID card?
Please consult the following link for instructions: 

Comment assurer que le professeur puisse enseigner avec les technologies de pointe avant que ça soit répandu?
Les ateliers de formation professorale offerts par la faculté de médecine et des sciences et de la santé peuvent inclure l’application pédagogique des outils technologique (webinars, online documentation, student response systems etc.). Les sujets des ateliers sont choisis en général en fonction de la demande. Teaching and Learning Services est une autre ressource à McGill qui offre des ateliers sur les technologies en enseignement. 

Comment la faculté pourrait encadrer les programmes afin que l’enseignant soit le plus organisé possible pour soutenir un curriculum très large (ex. médecine familiale et des sciences de la santé)?
Le programme qui s’intitule « Leadership Development Program », est un programme de développement professoral de 3 jours sur le leadership qui est offert par la faculté de médecine et des sciences de la santé tous les deux ans (janvier 2014).  Un programme sur le leadership en éducation est offert chaque année par l’association canadienne en éducation médicale (février 2013). Tous les détails se trouvent au

L’encadrement d’un programme de résidence spécifique se fait par le directeur de programme du département concerné. Pour ce qui est de la médecine familiale, il s’agit du Dr. Marion Dove (marion.dove [at] La directrice du développement professorale du département de médecine familiale et des sciences de la santé est Dr. Audrey Juras (audrey.juras [at]

Is funding available for workshops from the Faculty?
Faculty development workshops offered by the Faculty Development Office are free of charge (this includes workshops that are given to individual departments when requested).  The Faculty Development Office also offers faculty development activities for specific departments or groups, targeting faculty needs. These activities are delivered in the McGill-affiliated hospitals and teaching sites.

Funding to attend workshops outside of the Faculty of Medicineand Health Sciences would need to be discussed on a case-by-case basis with the departmental chair.

Should there be increased training on ‘best teaching practices’ for clinicians?
Many of the faculty development workshops that are offered by the Faculty Development Office focus on best teaching practices. Additionally, there are a number of medical education resources available on the faculty development website and the website of the Centre for Medical Education. As part of our Outreach Program, departments are encouraged to submit requests for workshops or seminars that be given in their context and that will meet their specific needs.

Comment demeurer à jour tout au long de notre carrière?
C’est un grand défi mais aussi une obligation.  La réponse à cette question est complexe, car il y a beaucoup de façons et d’activités qui sont disponibles :

a) Le bureau de formation médicale continue de McGill offre de nombreux programmes (

b) La bibliothèque de la faculté de médecine et des sciences de la santé offre des ateliers et des consultations au besoin (

c) Les associations disciplinaires offrent des programmes de formation continue

d) Le collège des médecins du Québec offre un répertoire d’activités de développement professionnel continu (site web)

e) les activités départementales (ex. séminaires; revue d’articles récents; discussions avec collègues)

If you would like to submit questions, please miriam.boillat [at] (email) us.

Back to top