The Careers in Medicine (CiM) program is an online longitudinal career planning program designed by the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) specifically for medical students. While some of the information in this program is relevant to US students only, many of the tools and resources are equally useful for Canadian medical students.
You must be enrolled in the MDCM program at McGill, and have started Med1.
Activate your account
To gain access to the CiM website, you will need an access code.
- Complete this consent form to obtain your access code. Note that you will receive your access code by email and the code will expire one year after it is generated.
- As soon as you receive the code, go to the CiM home page and click on “Create an account”. After entering your code, you will need to create your username and password, which you can then use each time you want to access the site.
Answer the questionnaires
The CiM site has a lot of very useful information. However, during your first year of study, we specifically recommend that you complete the following self-awareness questionnaires:
- The Medical Specialty Preference Inventory (MSPI) questionnaire is an inventory of preferences relating to medical specialties.
- The Physician Values in Practice Scale (PVIPS) questionnaire is a measure of the values that underpin the physician's practice.
- The Personality test, NERIS Type Explorer, is a short version of the MBTI to consult the specialty profiles associated with the Personality Type (MBTI® and KTS®).
To discuss your results, make an appointment with the Career Advisor.