Part-time Study Policy & Application
Students in the Faculty of Education must be registered on a full-time basis (i.e. at least 12 credits per term, except the Summer term) throughout their degree. Part-time registration (i.e. less than 12 credits) is not permitted, with the exception of special circumstances, as outlined below:
- personal or family health reasons (supporting medical documentation required)
- elite/varsity athletics commitments (supporting documentation may be required)
- registration with the Office of Students with Disabilities (authentication required; please contact the OSD)
- completion of the Intent to Transfer form (i.e. you intend to transfer to another program/faculty at the end of the Winter term)
- fewer than 12 credits to complete degree requirements in given semester (consultation with Academic Advisor required)
In order to be considered for one of the above listed reasons, students must complete the Request for Part-time Study form on this page and submit supporting documentation to the Internships & Student Affairs Office prior to the end of the term Add/Drop Period.
Part-time study permission is granted on either a semester-by-semester or a yearly (i.e. Fall + Winter) basis.
If this is your second request for part-time study approval, you will be required to meet with your Academic Adviser and complete a Study Plan, outlining your degree plan, and submit this document to the Internships & Student Affairs Office (Room #243, Education Building).
Students who are registered part-time without approval will have a registration hold placed on their Minerva account by the ISA Office, preventing them from registering until they have met with an ISA representative.
Implications of Part-time Study
Prior to considering an application for part-time study, please ensure that you understand the potential implications of restricting your course load, including, but not limited to:
- delays in degree progression due to missed Field Experiences or pre-requisites
- higher charges related to student services fees, etc. (consult the Rates Information site for more details)
- running out of time in which to complete degree, as per University guidelines
- potential ineligibility for scholarships/loans/bursaries
- for international students, potential difficulties with government-issued study permits (please visit International Student Services)
Please consider all aspects of your unique situation before choosing to apply for part-time status; and, if need be, meet with your Academic Adviser or an ISA representative to review your situation and ask any questions.
Exception: Students Taking IUT Courses
Courses taken as inter-university transfer (IUT) credits through the CREPUQ system are applicable to your credit count for a given term; however, will not appear on your unofficial transcript until after the Add/Drop Period.
If you are registered part-time at McGill, but will be taking an IUT course(s) which will put you into full-time status overall, please communicate this information to the ISA Office in person (Room #243, Education Building) or by e-mailing isa.education [at] mcgill.ca.
Additional Information & Advising
For questions or further information about this policy and the process, please contact isa.education [at] mcgill.ca or visit the Internships & Student Affairs Office (Room #243, Education Building).
For questions about degree planning or to create a study plan for your second part-time request, please contact your Academic Advisor.