Late Course Withdrawal Policy
Prior to the university late withdrawal (without refund) deadline, students must withdraw themselves from their course(s) via Minerva
After the university late withdrawal (without refund) deadline, students may request a late withdrawal without refund via this form. Please note, requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and permission for a late withdrawal will be granted only under exceptional circumstances (with supporting documentation) and only in the term in which a student is registered for the course (i.e. not retroactively). Supporting documentation must be submitted in the term in which a student is registered for the course. Late course withdrawal requests are not guaranteed.
Students should be advised that:
- A meeting with the Internships & Student Affairs Office may be required
- Late withdrawal(s) will not be granted for unsatisfactory academic performance
- Late withdrawal(s) from individual courses (as opposed to a whole term) will be carefully considered to ensure that the reason is truly relevant/limited to the requested course(s)
- Repeat late withdrawal requests and requests for previously approved circumstances may be refused in future terms, depending on the situation
- Approved requests will be assessed an administrative fee of $50.00
- Requests must be submitted to the Internships & Student Affairs Office, accompanied by a personal statement, responding to the following questions:
- Why are you requesting a late withdrawal(s) (i.e. What exceptional circumstances exist?)
- Why did you not withdraw during the approved time period on Minerva?
- What steps have you taken to address this problem, prior to making this request?
For questions or further information about the policy or process, please contact isa.education [at] mcgill.ca or visit the Internships & Student Affairs Office in Room #243.
Please note: Requests to withdraw from all courses in a term should be done via either a request for:
- Leave of Absence (before the add/drop with refund deadline)
- University Withdrawal (if after the add/drop with refund deadline or if the student does not desire a Leave of Absence); please note, with a university withdrawal, a student must apply for readmission in order to return to their studies
Disclaimer regarding impact of course withdrawals
Note that withdrawing from one or more courses during the semester may – where applicable – affect your government financial aid and/or McGill work--study eligibility. For international students, it may also impact your immigration status and/or permission to work in Canada. Please ensure that you are aware of any consequences related to this course withdrawal request: consult with Scholarships & Student Aid Office, and/or International Student Services.