Starting this January, McGill is switching to a bi-weekly payroll for most of our employees.
This change makes the process more efficient and creates more stability and predictability for you:
- You will now be paid on the same days of the month each month:
- Hourly paid: every second Thursday
- Salaried employees: every second Friday
- You will no longer face months where there is a three-weekend spread between pays.
- Twice a year, you will receive three paychecks in a month instead of two.
- If you are paid by the hour, your paycheck will show greater clarity in the number of hours paid for hours worked, including your overtime
Please note that this change will come with a transition period in January. The transition period will vary for salaried and hourly employees. In September, you received by email from HR an information package on how this change will specifically affect your employee group. Please take a moment to review that information if you haven’t done so already so that you are aware of what to expect come January. The University also held information sessions open to all employees about this change at the end of October.
For additional information, you are invited to familiarize yourself with the information below:
Don’t forget to notify your financial institution ahead of the change to ensure there are funds in your account to allow for pre-authorized payments and other regular transactions.
Checklist of your pre-authorized payments to consider:
- Transfers to savings account
- Transfers to private investment funds such as an RRSP
- Home and auto insurance
- Car payments
- Mortgage payments
- Credit card payments
- Utilities payments such as hydro, telephone, cable, internet, etc.
- Membership dues if paid in pre-authorized instalments (ex: fitness club, etc.)
- Newspaper/magazine subscriptions
Sample note you might want to send to your financial institution to notify it of the change.
If you have additional questions on how this change will affect you or if you are having difficulty understanding the amounts on your January paychecks, please contact payroll [dot] hr [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Access your pay information, benefits and personal information through MINERVA