Our team is dedicated to ensuring productivity and efficiency while constantly improving our operations to adhere to the latest sustainability standards.
Here are some of our newest sustainable initiatives.
Waste reduction strategy
An ambitious 4-part plan to drive down landfilled waste on the downtown campus.
Click here for more information.
The Building Services team has phased out petrochemical-based cleaners in regular janitorial services, replacing them with natural enzyme-based products. Furthermore, Building Services now uses microfiber cloths as opposed to conventional rags, minimizing the amount of cleaning product necessary.
McGill's custodial teams only use cleaning products that conform to the following environmental standards:
· Ecologo/UL certification and bear one of the following labels on their container: Ecologo, Green Seal and/or Biodegradable;
· Long-lasting effect to reduce frequency of maintenance tasks;
· Concentrated formula;
· Rapidly biodegradable in nature (5 to 30 days);
· Made with renewable ingredients and/or vegetable and mineral matter;
· Non petroleum-based;
· No synthetic perfumes;
· No dyes;
· No heavy metals (zinc);
· Not tested on animals;
· Containing products that are in compliance with SIMDUT/WHMIS pH level per product;
· Placed in reusable containers made of recycled materials;
· See-through containers;
· Packaged in ergonomic, recyclable and tamper proof packaging
Sustainable cleaning equipment
Building Services has phased in new water-only floor scrubbing machines and steam cleaning wands, allowing quality cleaning without the use of chemicals. Instead, both equipment types rely on hot water to clean and disinfect. This water-only equipment saves about 515 L of cleaning products annually.
Equipment recycling programs
Building Services has implemented recycling programs for equipment and supplies wherever possible. Examples include the recycling of industrial batteries from floor scrubbing machines, the use of recyclable floor brushes as opposed to disposable pads, and the employment of a preventative equipment maintenance program in which the parts from all dysfunctional machines are kept and reused. This drastically reduces equipment turnover, keeping these parts out of landfill.
Custodial Services include:
- Cleaning of washrooms, classrooms and all other areas of the University's buildings.
- Changing all types of lights, tubes, bulbs etc. (to a maximum height of 10').
- 24-Hour assistance, contact On-Call District Supervisor by pager.
- Auxiliary functions
- Regular and daily maintenance includes:
- Washroom cleaning: sinks / toilets / urinals, toilet paper, hand soap / towels
- Waste and recycling
- Dusting / dust mop
- Washing floors (damp mopping, dry scouring, wet scouring, spray buffing, and the like)
- Replacement of individual light bulbs
- Unlocking / locking doors (building and individual rooms)
- Cleaning classrooms, offices, hallways and other areas
- Salting and snow removal at entrances
- Poster removal
- Cleaning eating areas (cafeterias, lounges)
- Minimal security and monitoring in buildings
- Pest control
Visit the following pages for more details on services, policies and procedures.
Building Services are broken down into four districts, each overseen by a District Supervisor:
Districts and District Supervisors
francois.delisle2 [at] mcgill.ca (François Delisle)
District Supervisor (District NW)
514-398-4505 or Cell: 514-617-4983
eric.harroch [at] mcgill.ca (Eric Harroch)
Building Services Analyst
514-398-2429 or Cell: 514-267-9293
miroslav.pechousek [at] mcgill.ca (Miroslav Pechousek)
dimitrios.petropoulos [at] mcgill.ca (Dimitrios Petropoulos)
District Supervisor (District SW)
514-398-3258 or Cell: 514-968-9668
luc.rodrigue [at] mcgill.ca (Luc Rodrigue)
District Supervisor (District NE)
514-398-3935 or Cell: 514-977-5519
elio.taddeo [at] mcgill.ca (Elio Taddeo)
leonidas.kloukinas [at] mcgill.ca (Leonidas Kouklinas)
District Supervisor (District SE)
514-398-3728 or Cell: 514-358-4239
To reach all Supervisors email group address:
BuildingServicesOperations [at] campus.mcgill.ca
Building Services – 24-hour assistance
For immediate assistance please call the Building Services 'On-Call Supervisors' at the numbers outlined below:
|Monday to Friday / Lundi au Vendredi|
|07:00 to 15:00||514-829-3269|
|15:00 to 23:00||514-829-1753|
|23:00 to 07:00||514-617-6958|
|Saturday to Monday /Samedi au Lundi|
|07:00 to 07:00||514-829-1753|
Porters are assigned to some of the larger buildings on Campus. They normally work from 07:00 to 14:45 Monday to Friday. The porter ensures that:
- The buildings are fully functional.
- The buildings are clean and in good operational order.
- Mail is sorted and processed on a priority basis
- The buildings are secure and safe for day to day operations
- Client inquiries are responded to appropriately
- The District Supervisor is kept abreast of issues
To reach all Porters email group address: fmd_porters [at] campus.mcgill.ca
Telephone / Pager
T : 514-398-5079
T : 514-398-7473
educationporter.fmd [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
T : 514-398-7497
|Frank Dawson Adams
T : 514-398-8417
T : 514-398-7481
T : 514-398-5081
mcconnellporter.fmd [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
T : 514-398-8403
mcintyreporter.fmd [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
T : 514-398-5080
T : 514-398-3633
T : 514-398-7102
T : 514-398-5078
|Strathcona Anatomy & Dentistry
T : 514-398-6691
strathconamusicporter.fmd [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
T : 514-398-8216
For a map of the downtown campus, please click here.