Dr. Charlotte Usselman
FRQS Chercheurs-boursiers (Research Scholar) Junior 1
Integrative physiology; Cardiovascular regulation; Sympathetic nervous system; Vascular function; Neuro-vascular transduction; Sex hormones; Cardiovascular health; Post-Menopausal women; Polycystic ovary syndrome; Women’s health.
Students interested in pursuing training opportunities are encouraged to contact Dr. Usselman directly, providing a copy of their current resumé or curriculum vitae.
Postdoctoral Fellow, The John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT (2015-2017)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Program for Pregnancy and Postpartum Health and Physical Activity & Diabetes Laboratory, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2014-2015)
Ph.D., School of Kinesiology, Western University, London, ON (2009-2014)
M.Sc., School of Kinesiology, Western University, London, ON (2007-2009)
B.Sc., Department of Physical Education and Kinesiology, Brock University, St. Catharines, ON (2003-2007)
- Steinback CD, Fraser GM, Usselman CW, Reyes LM, Julian C, Stickland MK, Chari R, Khuruna R, Davidge S, Davenport MH. Blunted sympathetic neurovascular transduction during normotensive pregnancy. J Physiol, 597(14): 3687-3696, 2019.
- Usselman CW, Yarovinsky T, Steele FE, Leone CA, Taylor HS, Bender JR, Stachenfeld NS. Androgens drive microvascular endothelial dysfunction in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: Role of the endothelin B receptor. J Physiol, 597(11): 2853-2865, 2019.
- Adler TE, Usselman CW, Takamata A, Stachenfeld NS. Blood pressure predicts endothelial function and the effects of ethinyl estradiol exposure in young women. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 315(4): H925-33, 2018.
- Reyes LM, Usselman CW, Davenport MH, Steinback CD. Sympathetic nervous system regulation in human normotensive and hypertensive pregnancies. Hypertension 71(5): 793-803, 2018.
- Schmidt SM, Usselman CW, Martinek E, Stickland MK, Julian CG, Chari RS, Khuruna R, Davidge ST, Davenport MH, Steinback CD. Activity of muscle sympathetic neurons during pregnancy. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 314(2): R153-60, 2018.
- Usselman CW, Nielson CA, Luchyshyn TA, Gimon TI, Coverdale NS, Van Uum SHM, Shoemaker JK. Hormone phase influences sympathetic responses to high levels of lower body negative pressure in young healthy women. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 311(5): 957-63, 2016.
- Usselman CW, Wakefield PK, Skow RJ, Stickland, MK, Chari RS, Julian CG, Steinback CD, Davenport MH Regulation of sympathetic nerve activity during the cold pressor test in normotensive pregnant and nonpregnant women. Hypertension 66(4): 858-64, 2015.
- Usselman CW, Skow RJ, Matenchuk BA, Chari RS, Julian CG, Stickland MK, Davenport MH, Steinback CD. Sympathetic baroreflex gain in normotensive pregnant women. J Appl Physiol 119(5): 468-74, 2015.
- Usselman CW, Gimon TI, Nielson CA, Luchyshyn TA, Coverdale NS, Van Uum SH, Shoemaker JK. Menstrual cycle and sex effects on sympathetic responses to acute chemoreflex stress. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 308(6): H664-71, 2015.
- Usselman CW, Luchyshyn TA, Gimon TI, Nielson CA, Van Uum SH, Shoemaker JK. Hormone phase dependency of neural responses to chemoreflex-driven sympathoexcitation in young women using hormonal contraceptives. J Appl Physiol 115(10: 1415-22, 2013.