Newly Admitted Students - B.Ed. Secondary Social Sciences

English Exam for Teacher Certification

All students are required to register for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (EDEC 215) in the Fall term of their first year (U1 year) in the program. Please refer to the English Language Requirement section of the Internships & Student Affairs website for details.

Secondary Social Sciences advising documents:


Registration Plans:

Secondary Social Sciences Four Year Overview registration planSecondary Social Sciences Two Year Overview registration plan

Registration plans are provided because of the tight nature of the program - to ensure timely completion of your program, you are advised to follow the sequence of courses as outlined above.

The Four Year Overview is for most students, and it allocates space for completing all of the requirements in your Secondary English B.Ed. degree. Please note, students needing to complete a Freshman year will be starting in Year 0, thus, will be following a five year study plan. Please see below for further details.

The Two Year Overview is designed for students who have significant advanced standing,(typically students with transfer credits from other universities) and does not include room in your schedule for completing the subject area and elective course portions of the Secondary English program.

A complete list of courses, course descriptions and prerequisites can be found below.

Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) - Secondary Social Sciences - History and Citizenship, Geography (120 Credits)

Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) - Secondary Social Sciences - History and Citizenship, Ethics and Religious Culture (120 Credits)

Departmental Advising & Orientation

All newly admitted students must attend the orientation session specific to their program(s) of study.

Date Session Time & Location
Monday, August 27, 2018 Advising Session for Advanced Standing Students 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM in EDUC 216
Monday, August 27, 2018 Advising Session for B.Ed. TESL 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM in EDUC 216
Tuesday, August 28, 2018 Discover McGill  9:00 AM at Molson Stadium 
Tuesday, August 28, 2018 Faculty Orientation 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in STBIO 1/4
Wednesday, August 29, 2018 Advising Session for B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM in EDUC 216
Wednesday, August 29, 2018 Advising Session for Freshmen (U0) Students 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM in EDUC 216
Thursday, August 30, 2018 French Language Proficiency Test for PIF Program (K/Elem. only) 9:00 AM, registration is required
Thursday, August 30, 2018 Advising Session for B.Ed. Secondary 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM in EDUC 216
Friday, August 31, 2018 Advising Session for B.Ed. Music & Concurrent B.Ed/B.Mus 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM in Tanna Schulich Hall
Thursday, September 6, 2018 Welcome BBQ 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM in Education Bldg. Lobby


Freshman Program Advising

The Freshman Program consists of 30 credits of the students’ choice, verified by an advisor. There are no required courses in the Freshman Program, though the department recommends that students use the opportunity to take 100 or 200 level courses in the subjects taught in Secondary school, as well as to explore areas that are not normally taken as teachable subject area courses within B.Ed. programs (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, etc.).

The department also recommends the following courses:

If you are admitted into McGill with advanced standing (International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, etc.), those credits may be used to fulfill some or all of your Freshman requirements.

Freshman Course Verification

All Freshman students must have their Fall and Winter course selections verified prior to the start of classes. This can be done by email or by attending the group advising session in late August. To verify your course selection by email, send a message to [at] with the subject “Freshman Course Selection” and your student ID number in the body.

Student Advising Support Team:

Kelly Cassidy, Academic Advisor
Tina Schiavone, Academic Advisor
Grace Wong- McAllister, Academic Advisor

Tel.: (514) 398-4527, Ext. 094692 - Email

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I find help on how to use Minerva to register for courses?

Step by step instructions and a tutorial video can be found on this website. In addition, the Internships & Student Affairs office is available to help you with registration difficulties.

What is the difference between a U0 and a U1 student?

“U0” or “Freshman Program Student” is the term used to define students who have been admitted without advanced standing. Generally, this refers to students who are admitted to McGill from outside Quebec. Admitted students who have completed CEGEP are considered U1 students. Refer to the section titled “Freshman Program Advising” for further information. 

When are my field experiences (dates)?

See the overviews above to find the semesters in which you should complete your field experiences. In addition, the start and end dates for all field experiences each year can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

Does my first field experience conflict with my other fall semester courses?

No it does not.  If you are registering for the fall semester courses found on the four year and three year overviews (above), your Fall semester courses will end early, in November, after which your First Field Experience and your First Year Seminar will begin and run until mid-December.  Your first Fall semester will be unique in this way.

I'm having trouble registering for EDFE 200 and EDEC 201

EDFE 200 and EDEC 201 must be registered for simultaneously.  To do this, make note of the CRNs of both courses (first column on left when you search for courses) and enter them both into the "Quick Add" feature on Minerva (step 2 on the registration menu).

I've written an English exit exam already, do I need to register for EDEC 215?

Yes, the provincial governement requires that all students in teacher education programs demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction.  More information can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

When do I need to start registering for courses?

Registration for courses for newly admitted students begins in June and ends a couple weeks after classes in the semester begin.  A complete list of registration start and end dates can be found here.

What should I do if I'm having trouble registering for a course?

If you are getting an error such as 'program restriction' or 'reserve closed' when attempting to register for a course, first ensure that you are selecting the section designated for your program (if applicable: see the notes under the course in class schedule search on Minerva).  If you are still having trouble, contact the department offering the course (Educational and Counselling Psychology for EDPE and EDPI courses, Linguistics for LING courses, English for ENGL courses, etc.).  The calendar entry for the course will indicate the offering department.

If I am interested in taking French courses, where do I go to take the French Placement Test?

Information about French courses and the French Placement Test can be found on the French Language Centre website.

What advanced standing can I expect to receive from my previous university study? When will my advanced standing appear on my transcript?

In the Faculty of Education, students are eligible to receive advanced standing only for courses that are applicable to their programs. The admissions office makes decisions on advanced standing for all incoming students over the summer. Your advanced standing may not appear on your transcript immediately.

Until the admissions office has entered your advanced standing on your transcript, you are advised to attempt to get a sense of the transfer credits you might receive by looking at the program requirements on the program checklist (above). Students typically receive advanced standing for subject area courses rather than required education courses (unless their previous university education was in a teacher training program). Additional advice for self-assessing your transfer credits can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

When the admissions office has assessed your advanced standing, you should review it, and if you feel that you might be eligible for additional courses, contact your advisor.

Program information is organized for three distinct groups:

Prospective Students   Newly Admitted   Currently Registered