The following information is for the Summer 2023 competition offered by the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences.
Students and supervisors are asked to review all program and application details before starting an application.
The Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences will support 2 students in 2023
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada - Undergraduate Student Research Awards
The NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) are meant to nurture your interest and fully develop your potential for a research career in the natural sciences and engineering (NSE). They are also meant to encourage you to undertake graduate studies. If you would like to gain research work experience in an academic setting, these awards can provide you with financial support during the Summer 2023 period.
NSERC encourages qualified Canadian Indigenous students to apply to this program and to self-identify when completing NSERC's online application form.
- Friday, March 10 at 5:00 PM
- Includes submitting NSERC’s online application and emailing a pdf version of these forms to research2.dentistry [at] mcgill.ca.
- Please note that the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences does not have viewing access to forms/transcripts submitted via NSERC's online system. A copy of the required documents must be submitted separately.
Duration and value of USRA
- NSERC will provide $6,000 for each student award and a top up will also be required from each supervisor
- The average research period is 15 consecutive weeks of full-time research (35 hrs/wk). Exact duration should be discussed with the supervisor. $6 000.00 from AGENCY + contribution from Supervisor ($2350.00 minimum for 15 weeks, to be increased for 16 week project)
- Monday to Friday work schedule to be discussed/agreed upon by student and supervisor
- Student's research period should not be interrupted by vacation time
**NEW** SSHRC and CIHR USRA : exclusively for students who self-identify as Black.
All other eligibility rules and all selection criteria are the same as for NSERC.
Students apply via the NSERC online USRA application and be sure to indicate which agency you are applying to.
- NSERC is reminding you that the USRA program actively encourages women applicants in their pursuit of graduate studies and careers in science and engineering.
- NSERC also encourages eligible Canadian Indigenous students to apply.
- NSERC is also encouraging students who self-identify as Black to apply.
- Competition is open to McGill as well as non-McGill students
- At the time of application, student must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada. or a Protected Person under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
- For more details, please refer to the student eligibility information on NSERC's website
- Supervisor must be a member of the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences
- If the supervisor holds a primary appointment at another university (e.g. Université de Montréal) and is an Adjunct Professor at McGill, the student must apply through the primary institution instead of McGill
- Supervisors must not be on leave during any part of the student's research period
- Supervisors can either currently hold an active NSERC grant, be a recent NSERC grant applicant, or a former NSERC grant recipient; preference will be given to those who are currently funded by NSERC (e.g. as principal investigator or co-investigator of the grant)
Students are responsible for contacting researchers of interest directly.
Non-McGill students will also have to complete the Undergraduate Research Trainee Registration form.
Please note that NSERC does not offer travel allowances. Non-McGill award recipients from outside the Montreal area will therefore be expected to cover any travel-related expenses.
- NSERC [Tri-Agency] Undergraduate Student Research Award (Summer 2023) | Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies - McGill University
Selection criteria for the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences
NSERC USRA applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Research potential
- Expected quality of the training and mentorship to be received
If you have any questions about the Summer 2023 NSERC USRA competition, please contact research2.dentistry [at] mcgill.ca.