B.E. (Civil Eng, Jadavpur University, India, 1989)
M.S. (Civil Eng, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1991)
Ph.D. (Civil (Env) Eng, Carnegie Mellon University, 1995)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (University of Michigan, 1995-1997)
subhasis.ghoshal [at] mcgill.ca (E-mail)
Professor Ghoshal's expertise is in the area of environmental engineering. His research includes the remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater, and the fate, transport and reactivity of organic compounds, pathogens and engineered nanomaterials in water and soil environments. Research activities include laboratory studies and mathematical modelling of physiochemical and biological processes.
- Director, Trottier Institute for Sustainability in Engineering and Design, McGill University
- Associate Dean - Undergraduate Education, Faculty of Engineering (2006-2012)
- Experimental evaluation and mathematical modelling of environmental fate and transport processes of dissolved and (nano)colloidal contaminants in natural environments and in treatment systems.
- Sustainability of nanomaterials.
- Evaluation, assessment and development of soil and groundwater remediation technologies for sites contaminated with chlorinated solvents, petroleum oils, coal tars, pesticides and complex chemical mixtures.
- Pathogen transport and survivability in porous media.
- Green house gas mitigation through conversion of carbon dioxide to value added products.
Selected current research projects
- Characterization and fate of engineered nanoparticles in wastewaters and natural environments.
- Use of iron nanoparticles for in situ remediation of chlorinated solvent and perfluorinated surfactant-contaminated sites
- Bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in Arctic and sub-Arctic (cold) regions
- Effects of freeze-thaw on transport and survivability of pathogens in porous media
Awards and Recognitions
NSERC Discovery Accelerator Award (2016-2019)
William and Rhea Seath Award in Engineering Innovation (2017)
Engineering Innovation Award (2015)
William Dawson Scholar (2005 - 2015)
Appointed by the Minister for Environment, Govt. of Canada, on his Advisory Panel for Evaluation of Environmental Impacts of Oil Sands Operations (September 2010 – December 2010).
1998 Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award
- Google Scholar Page
- Azodi, M., Sultan, Y., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Dissolution Behavior of Silver Nanoparticles and Formation of Secondary Silver Nanoparticles in Municipal Wastewater by Single Particle ICP-MS. Environmental Science and Technology, 50(12): 13318−13327.
- Akbari, A., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Growth and Attachment-Facilitated Entry of Bacteria into Submicrometer Pores Can Enhance Bioremediation and Oil Recovery in Low-Permeability and Microporous Media. Environmental Science and Technology Letters, 3(11): 399-403.
- Bhattacharjee, S., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Phase transfer of palladized nanoscale zerovalent iron for trichloroethene remediation. Environmental Science and Technology, 50: 8631−8639.
- Bhattacharjee, S., Basnet, M., Tufenkji, N., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Effects of rhamnolipid and carboxymethylcellulose coatings on reactivity of palladium-doped nanoscale zerovalent iron particles. Environmental Science and Technology, 50:1812–1820.
- Li, J., Rajajayavel, S.C.R., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Transport of polyelectrolyte-coated zerovalent iron nanoparticles in a sand tank: Effects of sand grain size, nanoparticle concentration and injection velocity. Chemosphere. 150: 8-16.
- Li, J., Ghoshal, S. (2016) Comparison of the Transport of the Aggregates of Nanoscale Zero Valent Iron under Vertical and Horizontal Flow. Chemosphere. 144: 1398-1407.
- Basnet, M., Gershanov, A. Wilkinson, K.J., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2016). Interaction between Palladium-Doped Zerovalent Iron Nanoparticles and Biofilm in Granular Porous Media: Characterization, Transport and Viability. Environmental Science: Nano, 3:127-137.
- Akbari, A., Ghoshal, S. (2015) Bioaccessible Porosity in Soil Aggregates and Implications for Biodegradation of High Molecular Weight Petroleum Compounds. Environmental Science and Technology, 49:14368-14375.
- Li, J., Xie, X., Ghoshal, S. (2015) A correlation equation for predicting single-collector contact efficiency of colloids in horizontal flow. Langmuir. 31 (26), pp 7210–7219.
- Rolshausen, G., Phillip, D.; Beckles, D.; Akbari, A.; Ghoshal, S.; Hamilton, P.; Tyler, C.; Scarlett, A.; Ramnarine, I.; Bentzen, P.; Hendry, A. (2015) Do stressful conditions make adaptation difficult? Guppies in the oil-polluted environments of southern Trinidad. Evolutionary Applications. 8: 854–870.
- Li, J., Bhattacharjee, S., Ghoshal, S. (2015) The effects of viscosity of carboxymethyl cellulose on aggregation and transport of nanoscale zerovalent iron. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 481:451-459.
- Akbari, A., Ghoshal, S. (2015) Effects of Diurnal Temperature Variation on Microbial Community and Petroleum Hydrocarbon Biodegradation in Contaminated Soils from a sub-Arctic Site. Environmental Microbiology, 17, 4916–4928.
- Rajajayavel, S.C.R., Ghoshal, S. (2015) Enhanced reductive dechlorination of trichloroethylene by sulfidated nanoscale zero valent iron. Water Research. 78:144-153.
- Basnet, M., Di Tommaso, C., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2015). Reduced Transport Potential of a Palladium-doped Zero Valent Iron Nanoparticle in a Water Saturated Loamy Sand. Water Research, 68:354-363.
- Kashef-Haghighi, S., Shao, Y., Ghoshal, S. (2015) Mathematical Modeling of Accelerated CO2 Curing of Concrete in a Flow-Through Reactor. Cement and Concrete Research. 67:1-10.