Work in this sector encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Equipment maintenance
- Food production management
- Animal production
- Crop research
- Policy analysis
- Industrial packaging
- Pet and animal services
- Veterinary medicine
- Agri-tourism and eco-tourism
- Aquaculture and commercial fishing
- Landscape design
- Agricultural economics
- Farming and gardening
- Forest production
- Agricultural services
- Environmental conservation
- Education and communication
- Agricultural consulting
- Agricultural inspection
- Agri-food security
Typical employers can be categorized into the following core areas:
- Agricultural Services. Organizations that establish and maintain agricultural producers and other agricultural-related entrepreneurs. Typical employers include but not limited to, government agencies, farm advisory services, consulting and appraisal firms, banking and financial organizations, grain elevator facilities, agricultural research centres, quality and testing laboratories.
- Agribusiness. Organizations that offer expertise to help agricultural enterprises make wise business decisions. Typical employers include but not limited to, commodity brokerage firms, agri-business management firms, transportation and logistics firms, banking and mortgage institution, product/market development organizations, feed and fertilizer companies, and food processing companies, and farm real estate firms.
- Farming. Farmers and farm laborers that produce all types of crops and livestock for commercial purposes. Typical employers include but not limited to, small and large crop farms, fruit and nut orchards, cattle ranches, dairy farms, chick farms, plant nurseries, flower farms, tree farms, and many other agricultural operations in rural, suburban, and urban settings.
- Leading companies in the Greater Montreal: Danone Canada, Industries Lassonde, Barry Gallebaut, Kraft Canada, Labatt, Molson, Nestlé, Parmalat, Saputo.
To learn more about this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Montreal - Agri-Food Transformation (Montréal International)
An overview of the agri-food transformation industry sector in the Greater Montreal.
- Quebec - Agri-Foods (Investissement Québec)
An overview of the agri-food industry in Quebec.
- Quebec - Agriculture and Agrifood (Centre-du-Québec)
An overview of the bio-food sector industry in the Centre-du-Quebec.
- Canada- Food & Beverage Industry (Food Processing HR Council)
An overview of Canada's food and beverage industry.
To learn more about different career options in this sector, visit the following web sites:
- AG Explorer
Explore career options by choosing a focus area: Agribusiness, animal, biotechnology, environmental, food products & processing, natural resources, plant, agricultural education, etc.
- AgriPathways (CAHRC)
Career opportunities in the primary agriculture: Cattle, poultry and egg, swine, aquaculture, other animal, greenhouse and nursery, tree fruit and vine, field fruit and vegetables, crops, and other agriculture.
- Agriculture Career Guide (TalentEgg)
Everything you need to know about getting a job in Agriculture and hatching a career in Agriculture.
- A Career in Seeds (Canadian Seed Trade Association)
Career profiles: Research and agronomy, production and supply chain logistics, business and marketing.
- Careers in Agriculture (BCAITC)
Career profiles of today’s farmers – land use planner, quality control technician, greenhouse technician, sustainability project manager, food product technologist, agricultural finance specialist and more.
- Careers in Horticulture (Grow)
Career profiles in field of Horticulture: Plant science, arts & design, heritage & conservation, health & wellbeing, production & food, etc.
- On-Farm Occupations (CAHRC)
Link to occupational matrix of on-farm occupations and descriptions of on-farm occupations.
- Science on the Farm (Science Careers)
Career stories in: Agricultural biotechnology, agronomy, bio-systems engineering, crop research, entomology, high-tech farming, organic farming, policy and risk assessment, vaccine and disease research and more.
- Career in Food Security (Science Career)
Information on how it is like working in food security.
- Want to work in food security? Here are 6 career paths (devex)
Six career paths to consider for those who want to work on food security issues.
Career Books & Magazines
Job Search Websites
Find a job by exploring the following job banks and job search websites:
- McGill Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- CRAFT SW Ontario - Internships
- Grow a Farmer (Apprenticeship)
- R.E.A.P Canada
- SOIL (Apprenticeship)
- SUCO - International Internships
- AgCall Human Resources
- Agricultural Employment
- Agricultural Institute of Canada
- Agricultural Labour Pool
- Careers in Food
- Jobs in Food
- Landscape Jobs
- Work Cabin
USA & International
- USA - Joe Produce
- USA - Naturejobs.com
- USA - Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- USA - American Society for Horticultural Science
- International Association of Agricultural Economists
Associations & Groups
- Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC)
- Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council
- Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy and Competitiveness Research Network (CATPRN)
- Canadian Federation of Agriculture (CFA)
- Canadian Young Farmers' Forum (CYFF)
- Conseil de la transformation alimentaire du Québec (CTAC)
- Dairy Farmers of Canada
- Pulse Canada
Find an Organization
McGill, Quebec & Ontario
- McGill Industry Database (McGill Agricultural and Environmental Sciences)
Companies that have or have not hosted MAC student interns. Look for the section "Download Database" and login with your McGill username and password.
- Quebec - Agri-Business Network (La Coop fédérèe)
Listings of organizations in agri-business.
- Ontario - AgSearch Database (Farms.com)
Tool to find agriculture and faming products and services in Ontario.
- Canadian Food and Grocery Directory (Contact Canada)
Listings of companies in Canadian food and grocery, and natural health products.
- Directory of Canadian Agriculture Associations (CAHRC)
National, regional, provincial non-profit, and publicly publicly-funded farm organizations and commodity groups in Canada.
- Agriculture and Ari-Food Programs and Service Finder (AgPal)
Federal, provincial and territorial programs and services in Canada: Business management, farming & food production, innovation & agricultural research and personal and community support.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Research Centres (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Listings of research centres that work on projects to benefit Canada's agricultural and agri-food sector.
- Agri-Food Link Directory (Agriville.com)
Listings of 1,200 agri-food companies across Canada.
- Agri-Food Programs and Services (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Links to agencies and programs that support farmers.
- Animal Nutrition Member Directory (ANAC)
Listings of companies in the Animal Nutrition Association of Canada.
- Bioenergy and Grass Pellets (R.E.A.P. - Canada)
Listings of organizations in Bioenergy and grass pellets, sustainable agriculture, and international development.
- Canadian Special Crops Association Directory (CSCA)
Listings of crop production and service companies in Canada.
- Food Security Agencies (Community Research Connections)
Organizations in food security, rural revitalization and cooperatives.
- Food Security Links (Food Security Network)
Municipal, provincial, national, and international food security organizations.
- Organic Directory (Canadian Organic Growers)
Links to organic businesses, categorized by province.
- Who’s Who in International Development (CCIC)
International development organizations in Canada and overseas. Searchable by region and sector such as food security.
- Agriculture Companies and Products (agsearch.com)
North American agriculture industry business directory - Trade shows, associations, and more.
- LinkedIn Company Directory
Search companies by categories (e.g. Food production, dairy) and locations.
Networking & Groups
- Quebec - Agroforestry Directories (CRAAQ)
Tools to find advisory services and professionals in agri-business.