Agriculture & Agri-Food System
Work in this sector encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Agri-business management
- Financial management
- Equipment maintenance
- Food production management
- Animal production
- Crop research
- Policy analysis
- Industrial packaging
- Aquaculture and commercial fishing
- Landscape architecture and design
- Agricultural economics
- Farming and gardening
- Forest production
- Agricultural services
- Environmental conservation
- Education and communication
- Pet and animal services
- Veterinary medicine
- Agri-tourism and eco-tourism
- Agricultural services and consulting
Typical employers can be categorized into the following core areas:
- Farming. Farmers and farm laborers that produce all types of crops and livestock for commercial purposes. Typical employers include but not limited to, small and large crop farms, fruit and nut orchards, cattle ranches, dairy farms, chick farms, plant nurseries, flower farms, tree farms, and many other agricultural operations in rural, suburban, and urban settings.
- Agricultural Services. Organizations that establish and maintain agricultural producers and other agricultural-related entrepreneurs. Typical employers include but not limited to, government agencies, farm advisory services, consulting and appraisal firms, banking and financial organizations, grain elevator facilities, agricultural research centres, quality and testing laboratories.
- Agribusiness. Organizations that offer expertise to help agricultural enterprises make wise business decisions. Typical employers include but not limited to, commodity brokerage firms, agri-business management firms, transportation and logistics firms, banking and mortgage institution, product/market development organizations, feed and fertilizer companies, and food processing companies, and farm real estate firms.
Leading companies in the Greater Montreal: Danone Canada, Industries Lassonde, Barry Gallebaut, Kraft Canada, Labatt, Molson, Nestlé, Parmalat, Saputo.
To learn more about this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Montreal - Agri-Food Transformation (Montréal International)
An overview of the agri-food transformation industry sector in the Greater Montreal.
- Quebec - Agri-Foods (Investissement Québec)
An overview of the agri-food industry in Quebec.
- Quebec - Agriculture and Agrifood (Centre-du-Québec)
An overview of the bio-food sector industry in Centre-du-Quebec.
- Canada- Food Processing (Food Processing HR Council)
An overview of Canada's food processing industry.
To learn more about different career options in this sector, visit the following web sites:
- AgriPathways (CAHRC)
Career opportunities in the primary agriculture: Cattle, poultry and egg, swine, aquaculture, other animal, greenhouse and nursery, tree fruit and vine, field fruit and vegetables, crops, and other agriculture.
- Agriculture Career Guide (TalentEgg)
Everything you need to know about getting a job in Agriculture and hatching a career in Agriculture.
- A Career in Seeds (Canadian Seed Trade Association)
Career profiles: Research and agronomy, production and supply chain logistics, business and marketing.
- Careers in Agriculture (BCAITC)
Career profiles of today’s farmers – land use planner, quality control technician, greenhouse technician, sustainability project manager, food product technologist, agricultural finance specialist and more.
- Careers in Horticulture (Grow)
Career profiles in field of Horticulture: Plant science, arts & design, heritage & conservation, health & wellbeing, production & food, etc.
- Identifying On-Farm Occupations (CAHRC)
Link to occupational matrix of on-farm occupations and descriptions of on-farm occupations.
- Science on the Farm (Science Careers)
Career stories in: Agricultural biotechnology, agronomy, bio-systems engineering, crop research, entomology, high-tech farming, organic farming, policy and risk assessment, vaccine and disease research and more.
- Career in Food Security (Science Career)
Information on how it is like working in food security.
- Want to work in food security? Here are 6 career paths (devex)
Six career paths to consider for those who want to work on food security issues.
Career Books & Magazines
Find an Organization
McGill, Quebec & Ontario
- McGill Industry Database (McGill Agricultural and Environmental Sciences)
Companies that have or have not hosted MAC student interns. Look for the section "Download Database" and login with your McGill username and password.
- Quebec - Agrotourisme (Agrotourisme.com)
A list of farms, vineyard and agriculture related business.
- Quebec - CRAAQ Directories (CRAAQ)
Reference tools listing all the advisory services offered to agribusinesses and agriculture stakeholders: Directory of advisory services, Directory of experts, Directory for young farmers, and Quebec directory of agroforestry experts and professionals.
- Quebec - Community meals and food security (OMHM)
A list of organizations in helping improve diets and relieve hunger.
- Ontario - AgBuyersGuide (Farms.com/AgBuyersGuide)
List of agriculture and farming products and services in Ontario.
- Directory of Canadian Agriculture Associations (CAHRC)
National, regional, provincial non-profit, and publicly publicly-funded farm organizations and commodity groups in Canada.
- Agriculture and Ari-Food Programs and Service Finder (AgPal)
Find federal, provincial and territorial programs and services in Canada: Business management, farming & food production, innovation & agricultural research and personal and community support.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Research Centres (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Listings of research centres that work on projects to benefit Canada's agricultural and agri-food sector.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Associations (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Canadian agri-food associations, by product and function.
- Organic Directory (Canadian Organic Growers)
Listing of businesses related to organics, categorized by province.
- Agri-Food Link Directory (Agriville.com)
Listings of 1,200 agri-food companies across Canada.
- Canadian Special Crops Association Members (CSCA)
A list of crop production and service companies in Canada.
- Bioenergy, Grass Pellets, Sustainable Agriculture Links (R.E.A.P. - Canada)
Listings of organizations in Bioenergy and grass pellets, sustainable agriculture, and international development.
- Canadian Food and Grocery Directory (Contact Canada)
Listings of companies in Canadian food and grocery and natural health products.
- Agriculture Companies and Products (agsearch.com)
North American agriculture industry business directory - Trade shows, associations, storage companies and more.
- Linkedin Company Directory
Search companies by categories (e.g. Food production, dairy) and locations.
Job Search Websites
Find a job by exploring the following job banks and job search websites:
- Quebec - L'Union des producterus agricoles
- Quebec - La Coop fédérée
- Quebec - HortiCompétences (French)
- AgCall Human Resources
- Agricultural Employment
- Agricultural Institute of Canada
- Agricultural Labour Pool
- Careers in Food
- Jobs in Food
- Horticulture Jobs
- Work Cabin
- SOIL (Apprenticeship)
- Grow a Farmer (Apprenticeship)
USA & Global
- USA - Naturejobs.com
- USA - Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
- International Association of Agricultural Economists
Social Network, Communities & Conferences
- Farms.com - The community website for Ontario Agriculture.
Associations & Groups
- Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council
- Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC)
- Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy and Competitiveness Research Network (CATPRN)
- Canadian Federation of Agriculture
- Dairy Farmers of Canada
- Conseil de la transformation alimentaire et des produits de consommation (CTAC)
- Pulse Canada
- Additional Canadian industry associations (FarmMarketer.com)
- Affiliates of the Union of Agricultural Producers (Agricarrières)
- Canadian Industry Links (Agricultural Institute of Canada)