Environment & Sustainability
The environment and sustainability industry spans all major industry in Canada. The industry is characterized by the diversity and ongoing developments within fields of science and technology. The growth through diversification and the rise of new markets is likely to be the future trend in the industry. According to ECO Canada, the environmental employment has grown rapidly from 70,000 green workers in 1992 to over 682,000 professionals in 2010, and many more businesses are now looking for professionals who can link environment-related expertise with business planning.
Work in the life sciences sector encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Environmental protection and preservation
- Geographic information system (GIS)
- Eco-friendly or green design
- Sustainable development
- Clean technology
- Renewable energy
- Environmental research and development
- Environmental policy and legislation
- Health care and social assistance
- Site assessment, remediation and reclamation
- Waste management and recycling
- Landscape architect
- Building inspection
- Regional planning and urban planning
- Air/water/land quality assurance
- Environmental education and training
- Environmental consulting
- Green economy
Sources: ECO Canada: About ECO Canada
According to ECO Canada, employers can be categorized into three core areas:
- Environmental protection. Organizations in air quality, water quality, site assessment and reclamation, waste management, health and safety industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, engineering consulting firms, government, chemical, petrochemical or utility companies, GIS firms, surveying and computer mapping companies.
- Resource management. Organizations in energy, fisheries and wildlife, natural resource management industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, local, provincial and federal governments, national parks, commercial fish farms and hatcheries, non-profit and inter-governmental organizations, consulting and business firms.
- Environmental sustainability. Organizations in education and training, research and development, policy and legislation, communications and public awareness industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, general medical and surgical hospitals, colleges universities and professional schools, governments, legal services, social advocacy services, advertising and related services, non-profit organizations.
- Career Profiles (ECO Canada)
Career profiles categorized by envirostream: Air, animals, communication, governance, water, plants, communities, human use, and land. Each profile includes job duties, salary and related careers.
- Green Jobs (TalentEgg)
Green job career resources - certification information, average starting salaries for entry level green jobs, green jobs for new grads and more.
- Career Kit - Forest Products Industry (The Greenest Workforce)
Job profiles, careers in the forest products industry, fast-facts on careers and more.
- Environmental Health Careers (AEHAP)
What do environmental health professionals do and what are the different areas of specialization.
Articles of Interest
- 5 Steps to Getting Your First Environmental Job (ECO Canada)
Tips for getting your first job in the environmental sector.
Find a Company
The following websites provide company listings:
- Industry Database (McGill Agricultural and Environmental Sciences)
Companies that have or have not hosted MAC student interns. Login with McGill user name is required.
- ECO Canada Business Directory
Organizations and agencies related to the environment protection, resource management and environmental sustainability.
- Environmental Marketplace
Organizations in the environment. Categories: Recyclers, renewable energy, waste treatment, pollution prevention, etc.
- Environmental Expert - Environmental Industry Online
Provided by the Environmental Expert. A portal to global environmental industry information and resources including buyers, suppliers, products, jobs, etc.
- Enviro-access Consulting - Directory of companies
Companies offering environmental solutions. Fields: Water, air, soil, waste management, agriculture, ecological products, renewable energies and more.
- Ontario Environment Business Directory
Companies in environmental business. Coverage: global. Searchable by location, goods/services, industry type, etc.
- Ontario Environmental Industry Association - Directory
Environmental groups, organizations, agencies and websites across Ontario, Canada.
- Quebec - Réseau environnement (in French)
Organizations in the environment in Quebec, categorized by type (chemical products, technology, etc.)
- Quebec - Réseau Québécois de Groupes Écologistes (In French)
Environmental groups and ecologists groups in Quebec.
- Baum Publications Ltd. Magazines
Each magazine is a link to a specific industry sector. The link “companies” of each sector contains company listings. The sectors are: Environmental protection, contractors, healthcare, oil & gas products, recycling products, etc.
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) - Annual Report Supplement
The supplement to each year's annual report contains a list of organizations and their projects funded by the SDTC.
- Canadian Environmental Resource Guide (VPN is required. 5-8 simultaneous users)
Access is limited to 8 users at a time. Searchable listings of manufacturers, distributors, service companies, consulting firms, governmental offices, special libraries, trade representatives specializing in the environment.
- GoodWork Canada
Scroll down to see a list of conservation organizations.
- Nature Canada
Links to other conservation organizations: Biodiversity, bird conservation, endangered species, etc.
Job Search Websites
Social Network, Communities & Conferences
- Young Environmental Professionals (YEP)
- The Green Pages - Canada Environmental Professional Network
- Environmental Studies Association of Canada - Conferences
Sector Councils & Associations
- Québec International – Green and Smart Building
Projects, practices, news and an overview of the green industry.
- Québec Portal - Environment
An overview of the environmental industry in Quebec.
- ECO Canada Blog - Industry Trends
A blog about trends in green careers.
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) - Clean Technology Reports
Special reports in clean technology and sustainability.
- BC - British Columbia Environment Industry Guide (BCEIA)
in The guide contains a list of environment related companies.