Environment & Sustainability
Work in this sector encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Environmental protection and preservation
- Geographic information system (GIS)
- Eco-friendly or green design
- Sustainable development
- Clean technology
- Renewable energy
- Environmental research and development
- Environmental policy and legislation
- Health care and social assistance
- Site assessment, remediation and reclamation
- Waste management and recycling
- Landscape architect
- Building inspection
- Regional planning and urban planning
- Air/water/land quality assurance
- Environmental education and training
- Environmental consulting
- Green economy
Typical employers can be categorized into the following core areas:
- Environmental protection. Organizations in air quality, water quality, site assessment and reclamation, waste management, health and safety industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, engineering consulting firms, government, chemical, petrochemical or utility companies, GIS firms, surveying and computer mapping companies.
- Resource management. Organizations in energy, fisheries and wildlife, natural resource management industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, local, provincial and federal governments, national parks, commercial fish farms and hatcheries, and non-profit and inter-governmental organizations, consulting and business firms.
- Environmental sustainability. Organizations in education and training, research and development, policy and legislation, communications and public awareness industry sectors. Typical employers include but not limited to, general medical and surgical hospitals, colleges universities and professional schools, governments, legal services, social advocacy services, advertising and related services, non-profit organizations.
To learn more about this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Quebec Green and Smart Building (Québec International)
Projects, practices, news and an overview of the green industry.
- Québec - Écotech Québec (Écotch Québec)
An overview of Quebec cleantech cluster: air, energy efficiency, green chemistry, renewable energy, residual waste, soil & groundwater, sustainable mobility and water.
- BC - British Columbia Environment Industry Guide (BCEIA)
The guide contains a list of environment related companies.
- ECO Canada Blog - Industry Trends (ECO Canada)
A blog about trends in green careers.
- Clean Technology Reports (Sustainable Development Technology Canada)
Special reports in clean technology and sustainability.
To learn more about different career options in this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Career Profiles (ECO Canada)
Career profiles categorized by envirostream: Air, animals, communication, governance, water, plants, communities, human use, and land. Each profile includes job duties, salary and related careers.
- Environmental Science Careers (EnvironmentalScience.org)
A list of careers and salary information (by state).
- Career Kit - Forest Products Industry (The Greenest Workforce)
Job profiles, careers in the forest products industry, fast-facts on careers and more.
- Environmental Health Careers (AEHAP)
What do environmental health professionals do and what are the different areas of specialization.
Find an Organization
McGill, Quebec & Ontario
- McGill - Industry Database (McGill Agricultural and Environmental Sciences)
Companies that have or have not hosted MAC student interns. Login with McGill user name is required.
- Quebec - Répertoire de l'industrie environnementale du Québec (Réseau environnement)
Organizations in the environmental industry. Categories: chemical products, processing technology, automation, consulting, etc.
- Quebec - Réseau québecois des groupes écologistes (Réseau Québécois de Groupes Écologistes)
Environmental groups and ecologists groups in Quebec. Searchable by region and categories: water, forest, agriculture, energy, etc.
- Ontario - Environmental Industry Association Membership Directory (ONEIA)
Environmental groups, organizations, agencies and websites across Ontario, Canada.
- BC - British Columbia Environmental Industry Members (BCEIA)
BCEIA members. Category: air, consulting/law, energy efficiency, engineering, laboratory, water, etc.
- Environmental Marketplace (Canadian.Environmental.Com)
Organizations in the environment. Categories: Recyclers, renewable energy, waste treatment, pollution prevention, etc.
- Consulting Companies (Enviro-access Consulting)
Companies offering environmental solutions. Fields: Water, air, soil, waste management, agriculture, ecological products, renewable energies and more.
- Environment Business Directory (Ontario Environment Business Directory)
Companies in environmental business. Coverage: global. Searchable by location, goods/services, industry type, etc.
- Environmental Industry Online (Environmental Expert)
A portal to global environmental industry information and resources including buyers, suppliers, products, jobs, etc.
- Canadian Environmental Resource Guide (Canada's Information Resource Centre) (VPN is required. 5-8 simultaneous users)
Access is limited to 8 users at a time. Searchable listings of manufacturers, distributors, service companies, consulting firms, governmental offices, special libraries, trade representatives specializing in the environment.
- Environmental Services (LinkedIn Company Directory)
Select a major city in the world to see company listings.
- Green Employers Database (MELDI)
Listings of green agencies, companies and organizations.
- Ontario - Wildlife Centres (Ontario Wildlife Rescue)
Interactive map to locate wildlife centres regulated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
- Canada - Environmental Groups in Canada (GoodWork Canada)
Scroll down to see a list of conservation organizations.
- Canada - Wildlife Habitat (Wildlife Habitat Canada)
Listings of partners of Wildlife Habitat Canada.
- Canada - Nature Network (Nature Canada)
Links to other conservation organizations: Biodiversity, bird conservation, endangered species, etc.
- USA - Conservation Reference Links (NRDC)
Links to conservation groups: Wildlife, health, environmental justice, etc.
- USA - Environmental Groups (NRDC)
Links to environmental groups/communities.
- Canada - Industry Leaders (Greenest Workforce)
Leading Canadian forest product companies across Canada.
- Canada - Gateway to Forestry and Forest Products (Forest Industries)
Companies (A-Z) in forestry and forest products in Canada.
Clean Technology / Sustainable Energy
- Quebec - Cleantech Companies (Écotech Québec)
Key decision makers of cleantech sector of Quebec. Searchable by sectors: air, green chemistry, water, eco-mobility, energy efficiency, renewable energy, waste, soil and groundwater.
- BC - Sustainable Energy Directory (BC Sustainable Energy Association)
Sectors: Bioenergy, solar energy, wind energy, geo exchange, consulting, etc.
- Canada - Renewable Energy & CleanTech Canada Directory (Contact Canada)
List of companies, searchable by category and location.
- Global - Renewable Energy Companies (Renewable Energy World)
Searchable by technology, function and country.
Job Search Websites
- Alaska Conservation Foundation
- Canadian Conservation Institute
- International Maritime Organization
- Katimavik - Eco-Internship
- Lenntech - Water Treatment
- Marine Conservation Institute
- Nature Conservancy Canada
- Quebec-Labrador Foundation (Postings on January)
- Rainforest Foundation US - Communication & development
- Sierra Club
- UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
- ECO Canada
- Canadian Environemental Network
- Green Jobs Canada (Twitter)
- GoodWork Canada
- Find a Forestry Job
- Forestry Job In Canada
- Environmental Studies Association of Canada
- Conservation Job Board
- Environmental Career Opportunities
- Global Green USA
- New Scientist Jobs
- Student Conservation Association (Internships)
- Canada - AFPA: WorkWild
- USA & Global - Wildlife Conservation Society
- Global - Conservation Jobs in Africa
- Global - Society for Conservation Biology
- Global - WWF