Work in this sector encompasses a large range of professions. Possible work areas include:
- Preclinical and discovery research
- Clinical research/development/operation
- Regulatory affairs & clinical safety
- Quality assurance and auditing
- Bio/pharmaceutical product development
- Medical/scientific writing
- Data/information management
- Project management
- Business and corporate development
- Technical/instrument support
- Law/Legal advice and property protection
- Health care financing
- Management consulting
- Research and education
Typical employers can be categorized into the following core areas:
- Drug discovery and development companies. Typical employers include but not limited to, major pharmaceutical, biotechnology therapeutic companies, vaccines, drug delivery, and molecular diagnostics companies.
- Biotechnology tools and services companies. These companies do not produce drugs, instead, they provide drug development companies with tools such as instruments, reagents, platform technology, software and other products. Typical “biotech tool” companies include, reagents and chemical suppliers, instruments (microscopes), platform companies (genomics), bio-IT software and hardware, molecular diagnostics. Typical “biotech service” companies include, management consulting and accounting firms, law firms, venture capital and investment banking, contract manufactures, research and clinical testing, medical communications, etc.
- Governmental and research institutes. These organizations interact with biotechnology and drug development companies. Employers include but not limited to, Food and Drug Administration, Centres for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health organizations.
- Medical device companies. These companies produce stents, defibrillators, point-of-care diagnostics, etc. Typical employers include but not limited to, medical devices, diagnostic and e-health companies.
- Academic institutions. There is a growing collaboration between academic institutions and companies in life sciences. Typical employers include but not limited to technology transfer departments and industry-supported labs and institutes.
Major leaders in Greater Montreal: Algorythme Pharma, Anapharm, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Charles River, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Merck Frosst, Novartis, Pfizer, etc.
To learn more about this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Montreal - Life Sciences and Health Technologies (Montreal International)
An overview of the Life Sciences industry sector in the Greater Montreal.
- Quebec – Life Sciences (Québec International)
Industry profiles: Biopharmaceuticals, medical technologies, cosmeceuticals and natural health products.
- Quebec - Life Sciences (Investissement Québec)
An overview of the Life Sciences industry sector in Quebec.
- Quebec - Pharmabio Dévelopment (French)(Pharmabio)
Bio-pharma industry reports.
- Canada – Life Sciences (Industry Canada)
Industry profiles: biopharmaceuticals and pharmaceuticals, medical devices and international business.
- Canada - Labour Market Research (BioTalent Canada)
Insights on current industry facts and trends.
- Canada - Key Industry Sectors (National Research Council Canada)
Links to industry profiles: bio-pharma and medical devices.
To learn more about different career options in this sector, visit the following web sites:
- Science careers (Science Careers)
Pharma career articles: Clinical research careers, careers in regulatory affairs, working in bio-manufacturing, advice for future pharma scientists, etc.
- Bio-economy career tools (BioTalent Canada)
Bio-economy career paths, career profiles and skills profiles. Registration is required.
- Biotech Careers (Biotech Careers)
Career options in Biotechnology.
- Careers in clinical research (ACRP)
Scroll down to the bottom for links to clinical research career profiles.
- A day in the life of a clinical research associate (Pharmaceutical & Medical Professionals)
Describing what a day is like as a clinical research associate.
- How to get a job as a CRA (BioSpace)
Describing the roles of a CRA, their job description, careers prospects and how to initially get into the CRA job profile.
- Careers in clinical and translational research (Science Careers)
60+ articles focused on careers in clinical and translational research.
- Top 10 clinical research organisations in the pharma and biotech industry (Pharma IQ)
- Career Spotlight: Clinical Research Coordinator (Pharma IQ)
- Career Spotlight: Pharma Regulatory Affairs (Pharma IQ)
Articles of Interest
- Science writing and editing (Science Careers)
Articles and resources related to careers in science writing, medical writing and research journal editing.
Career Books & Magazines
Find an Organization
The following websites provide company listings in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, health technologies/medical devices, research network, pharmaceutical manufacturing, contract research, and other life-sciences related fields.
Montreal & Quebec
- Montreal – Life Sciences and Health Technologies Industry (Montreal International)
Interactive map to locate companies in life sciences.
- Montreal - Directory (Montreal InVivo)
Sectors:Biotechnology, CRO, pharmaceutical, research centres, etc.
- Montreal - CRO (Contract Research Map)
Listings of CRO companies or laboratories in Montreal.
- Quebec - BioQuébec Companies (BioQuébec)
Companies in Quebec. Sectors: Biotechnology, pharmaceutical, research & labs, specialized services, consulting services, regulatory agencies, medical technology, public affairs, etc.
- Quebec - BiopolisQuébec Companies (BiopolisQuébec)
Listings of Quebec biotechnology companies, contract research organizations, contract manufacturing organizations and public research infrastructures.
- Quebec - Pharmabio Companies (Pharmabio)
Sectors: Innovative pharmaceutical, pharmaceutical manufacturing, biotechnology, clinical and preclinical research, natural products, probiotics, etc.
- Quebec - Directories (Économie, Innovaion et Exporation Québec)
Sectors: Biopharmaceutical, bioproducts, chemistry, life sciences, medical equipment, natural health products, etc.
- BiotechCity Companies List (The BiotechCity)
Over 70 companies located in the BIOPOLE of Laval. Sectors: Biotechnology, clinical research organizations, consulting/service, e-health, incubator, medical devices, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, research center.
- BioNova Member Directory (BioNova)
Companies from life sciences industry, research institutions, government agencies, etc. Sectors: Pharmaceutical and vaccines, functional food and nutraceuticals, medical technologies, Bio IT, service providers and research institutions, bio-products.
- Life Sciences Canada Directory (Contact Canada)
Life science databases. Sectors: Drug development, medical technologies, biotechnology, natural health products, food & grocery and renewable energy.
- MEDEC Member Directory (MEDEC)
List of companies advancing healthcare through innovative technologies and devices.
- Life Sciences Map of Canada (BIOTECanada)
Sectors covered: Biotechnology, pharma, medical technology, R&D services, investors, professional services and consulting, non-profit organizations, suppliers and media.
- International Biopharmaceutical Companies (International Biopharmaceutical Association)
Company listings in areas such as: Pharmaceutical, contract research, clinical investigation, biotechnology and pharma consulting, research development and industry service.
- Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Companies (BioPharmGuy)
Searchable by region (USA, Europe, Canada) and type.
- Pharmaceuticals (LinkedIn Company Directory)
Select a major city in the world to see company listings.
- Contract Research Map - by Country
Contract research organization listings in North America, Europe and Asia.
- Contract Research Organizations (BIOCOM)
Links to contract research organizations (CROs).
- Global Life Science Map (Biotech Gate)
20,000+ company profiles in the following sectors: Biotechnology, pharma, medical technology and more.
Biomedical Sciences / Cosmetic Science
- USA – Biomedical Companies (Biomedical Association of Students for Excellence)
List of companies in the field of biomedical engineering, pharmaceuticals and bio-sciences.
- USA - Clinical Trials (CenterWatch)
List of industry-sponsored clinical trials. Searchable by medical condition, therapeutic area and location.
- Testing Laboratories (Societ of Cosmetic Chemists)
A list of laboratories in cosmetic science.
Job Search Websites
Find a job by exploring the following job banks and job search websites:
McGill & Canada
- McGill - McGill SOAR database
- Canada - Bioinformatics.ca
- Canada - BioTalent Canada
- Canada - Pharmajob.ca
- BC - LifeSciences BC
- Canada - LifeLabs
- Canada - Biotechjobs.ca
- Medzilla (clinical research)
- ACRP (clinical research)
- FierceBiotech Jobs
- Science Jobs
- icademic - science, research, academic jobs
- Cell Career Network
- Chemistry World Jobs
- INC Research
- Life Science Jobs
- Nature Jobs
- New Scientist Jobs
- Research Network
- Science Careers
Clinical Research / CRO
CRO companies offering clinical research opportunities.
- BioPharma Services Inc.
- Charles River
- INC Research
- inVentiv Health Clinical
- PPD (Pharma Product Development)
- Quotient Bioresearch
- World Association of Young Scientists
Social Network, Communities & Conferences
- BioCrowd – An Online Community for Bio-professionals
- BiomedExperts – Scientific Social Network
- Student Biotechnology Network
- Women in Bio