McGill is pleased to guarantee residence accommodation to all newly admitted undergraduate students who are:
- 22 years of age or under (on Sept 1), and
- starting their first year of university studies, and
- admitted to McGill University and have accepted that offer of admission prior to the residence confirmation deadline
All renewable and one-year McGill Entrance Scholarship awardees entering university in September will be guaranteed one of their top two choices of residence building, provided they apply by the residence application deadline. Should one of the smaller residence buildings fill up before all scholarship winners are placed in their first choice, scholarship awardees will be guaranteed their second choice of residence building.
Please note: students with guaranteed residence admission, including scholarship students, must have already paid a $1500 residence deposit along with a $30 residence application fee by the application deadline in early July 2021 in order to confirm their space in residence.
Application for residences are accepted and accommodation is assigned based on the understanding that students are making a commitment for the full academic year. Upon acceptance into residences, students are committing to a lease under Québec law. Students who withdraw from McGill University Residences for either academic or non-academic reasons will be held financially responsible. See Cancellation Policies.
To indicate your interest in residence accommodation, simply check off "yes" in response to the question regarding residence accommodation on the admission application form.
If you have neglected to indicate that you wish to be considered for a space in our residences on the General Application Forms, please contact the housing.residences [at] mcgill.ca (Student Housing Office).
Step by Step Residence Application Process for Undergrads
- Log in to Minerva -> Applicant tab -> Student Housing Status
- On your Student Housing Offer Summary click on: Accept this offer.
- Read room reservation agreement. Click I agree.
- Tell us where you want to live: Rank each choice with a numeric value to indicate your preference for residence halls and type of accommodation. Information about all our residence halls and types of accommodation can be found here.
If you have specific accommodation needs such as dietary or mobility restrictions, fill out this form.
- When you have ranked all available options, click on Next Question.
- Tell us a little about yourself by answering the survey questions. Your answers do not influence which residence hall you are assigned to (hall assignment is by lottery), but your answers do help us match you with a roommate if you are assigned to a double room and play and important role in helping us build community and plan programming.
- Once you have completed the survey, click on Survey Complete.
- The deposit payment page will appear with the deposit amount applicable to you. Click on Continue.
- Enter your payment (credit card only).
- Payment confirmation page will appear. Keep a copy for your records.
At any time you can click on Finish Later and you responses will be saved for you to complete at a later date.