- Application opens March 2024
- Deadline to apply June 2024, a more precise date will be available in Spring 2024
How to Apply
- Simply check off "yes" in response to the question regarding residence accommodation on the McGill admission application form.
- If you missed the deadline and you still would like to live in residences, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (514) 398-6368.
- Pay your $1500 residence deposit along with a $30 residence application fee by the deadline to reserve your space in residence.
McGill is pleased to guarantee residence accommodation to all newly admitted undergraduate students who are:
- 22 years of age or under (on Sept 1), and
- starting their first year of university studies, and
- admitted to McGill University, accepted their offer of admission, and completed the application to live in residence prior to the housing lottery deadline
- all renewable and one-year McGill Entrance Scholarship awardees entering university in September will be guaranteed one of their top two choices of residence building, provided they apply by the residence application deadline
Step by Step Residence Application Process in Minerva
- Log in to Minerva -> Applicant tab -> Student Housing Status
- On your Student Housing Offer Summary click on: Accept this offer.
- Read room reservation agreement. Click I agree.
- Tell us where you want to live: Rank each choice with a numeric value to indicate your preference for residence halls and type of accommodation. Practice using our Practice Ranking sheet. Learn more on our residence halls and types of accommodation. If you have specific accommodation needs such as dietary or mobility restrictions, fill out this accessibility form.
- When you have ranked all available options, click on Next Question.
- Tell us a little about yourself by answering the survey questions. Your answers do not influence which residence hall you are assigned to (hall assignment is by lottery), but your answers do help us match you with a roommate if you are assigned to a double room and play and important role in helping us build community and plan programming.
- Once you have completed the survey, click on Survey Complete.
- The deposit payment page will appear with the deposit amount applicable to you. Click on Continue.
- Enter your payment (credit card only).
- Payment confirmation page will appear. Keep a copy for your records.
- Shortly after the lottery, you will be notified of your hall assignment on Minerva. Please visit Hall Assignment Lottery for information on how residence halls are assigned.
Application for residences are accepted and accommodation is assigned based on the understanding that students are making a commitment for the full academic year. Upon acceptance into residences, students are committing to a lease under Québec law. Students who withdraw from McGill University Residences for either academic or non-academic reasons will be held financially responsible. See Cancellation Policies.