Applicants to Religious Studies Graduate Programs (M.A., Ph.D., and S.T.M.) must complete the graduate studies online application form. For detailed instructions on how to apply to Graduate programs, please see Applying to McGill. Should you require clarification/more information, please email the studaffairs.relg [at] mcgill.ca (Student Affairs Coordinator).
Religious Studies Requirements
All supplemental application materials and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system (UApply). All items must be submitted before the application can be considered by the School's Graduate Admission Committee.
In addition to the supporting documents checklist above, the School of Religious Studies also requires:
- Applicants must upload a statement of intent of approximately 500 words, which must include a well-articulated Ph.D. or M.A. thesis research proposal. Please indicate the ways in which your prior academic formation prepares you well to undertake this research. Also, indicate in what ways the School of Religious Studies is well-suited for the proposed research.
- For the M.A. Non-Thesis, this proposal should specify the areas of student interest.
- For the Ph.D., this proposal should be as specific as possible.
- A 30 page (maximum) sample of recent academic writing, you may at your discretion submit your Master’s Thesis or a B.A. Honours Thesis.
- If possible, provide the name of a professor or professors who are potential supervisor(s) for your academic research. Please consult the People tab to see a listing of our professors and their fields of research. You may elaborate in your statement of intent.
Note: S.T.M. applicants must possess a Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.), or a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree, or a B.A. with a Major or Honours in Religious Studies or Theology with 30 appropriate credits in general theological studies, normally with a minimum CGPA of 3.3/4.0 (B+) from an accredited university or college.
Please note that all documents submitted to McGill University in support of an application to be admitted, including but not limited to transcripts, diplomas, letters of reference and test scores, become the property of McGill University and will not be returned to the applicant or forwarded to another institution under any circumstances. Only complete applications will be considered by the School of Religious Studies Graduate Admissions Committee.
All Students (PhD, MA & STM, Canadian/International/Exchange/Special/etc.)
Fall: January 15
Winter: No admission
Summer: No admission