Science Placement Exams
Students entering McGill may earn exemptions from one or more of the basic science courses by taking Science Placement examinations before starting classes. These are formal exams held on campus. The following courses are eligible:
- BIOL 111 - Principles: Organismal Biology
- BIOL 112 - Cell and Molecular Biology
- CHEM 110 - General Chemistry 1
- CHEM 120 - General Chemistry 2
- CHEM 212 - Introductory Organic Chemistry 1
- CHEM 222(234) - Introductory Organic Chemistry 2
- MATH 122 - Calculus for Management
- MATH 123 - Linear Algebra and Probability
- MATH 133 - Vectors, Matrices and Geometry
- MATH 140 - Calculus 1
- MATH 141 - Calculus 2
- PHYS 131 - Mechanics and Waves
- PHYS 142 - Electromagnetism and Optics
French and English as a Second Language Placement Exams
Placement tests are required for all ESL and FRSL courses. For more information on ESL placement tests, see the McGill Writing Centre.
Keep in mind that all students who want to study French at McGill must first complete a placement test to determine their level. You can find more information on French Placement Tests at McGill here. You won’t be able to register for an FRSL course until you have completed the placement test process. You can find the dates for French Placement Tests and interviews here. The placement test dates are scheduled at the beginning of each semester.
Keep in mind that there is only limited room in French classes at McGill, as they tend to be quite popular! The earlier you can take a placement test , the better chance you have that the class/level you are placed in still has spots available!