NEW VIDEO: listen to Dr. Thomas Connor O'Neil and his team in Shawville explain how the Family Medicine program they've been teaching for 35 years is still going strong.
Shawville is located in the Outaouais region, approximately 75 kilometers west of Gatineau and Ottawa. The teaching site is part of the Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) de l'Outaouais.
It is highly recommended to have a car as this will allow more mobility between clinical sites.
- 4 trainees per period
Length of Rotation
- 1 or 2 months
- Rural stream option (for residents) 3 to 6 months
- Spoken: English and French
- Charting: English and/or French
Clinical Exposure and Learning Experiences
Rotation primarily done in Hospital & Clinic.
Trainees can be exposed to:
• CLSC: Community Program
• Family Medicine Group (GMF)
• Home care/visits
• Intensive Care Unit
• Minor Procedures
• Pre Natal and Post Natal Care
• Teaching Activities
• Visits to other villages
• Other clinical exposures: Anesthesia, Minor Surgery
Other Interesting Information
Hospital provides primary healthcare services.
At the Hospital:
- 21 doctors work full time
- 1 669 Admissions/year
- 165 deliveries/year
- 39 beds
Type of Lodging
Lodging is provided by the establishment and is located adjacent to the hospital.
Trainees are lodged in a private studio apartment or a shared apartment. Depending on availabilities, they will be assigned to one of the 2 options. Regardless of the lodging they are assigned to, trainees have a private room and may share common gender-neutral areas (bathroom, kitchen, living room).
Lodging may be available as of the evening before the rotation.
Trainees are expected at the Hospital at 8:30am on the first day of their rotation.
► It is important that everyone does their share to keep all common areas clean and safe at any time.
All accommodations are non-smoking environments.
|Refrigerator; Microwave; Stove; Dishes; Utensils; Cookware
|Television set, cable:
|Washer and dryer:
|Provided + iron
|Available (wireless): bring your laptop.
|Long distance calls forbidden
|Deposit for keys:
Trainees can travel to the site by bus, car or train. It is highly recommended to have a car as this will allow more mobility.
Depending on the location of their base teaching site, each trainee receives a stipend to help pay for transportation costs.
Trainees must make their own travel arrangements.
NOTE: For all students making their own arrangements. All students will be required to attend a mandatory Progress Test at the end of each block.
PLEASE do not make any travel arrangements before confirming the exact date of your test.
Traveling by Bus
- Trainees can travel by bus (Greyhound) to Ottawa. Arrangements are then made for a taxi to drive the trainee to Shawville (please ask the site coordinator for the taxi company information).
Traveling by Car
- Shawville is less than one hour drive from the Ottawa-Hull area. From Ottawa, take direction Gatineau and cross the Macdonald-Cartier bridge. Take HWY-5 [Autoroute de la Gatineau]. At exit 3, turn LEFT onto Rue de CASINO. Rue du Casino becomes Rue ST- RAYMOND. Continue on St-Raymond street. Just before the Loblaws grocery store, turn left onto HWY 148 West. At the T-intersection (Eardely Street) turn RIGHT and continue on HWY 148 West. Drive about 50 km until Shawville. When you reach Clarendon Street (follow the green H (Hospital) sign) turn right, then drive about ½ km to rue Argue. Finally, turn left and you are at the Hospital.
Traveling by Train
- Trainees can also travel by train VIA RAIL to Ottawa. Arrangements are then made for a taxi to drive the trainee to Shawville (please ask the site coordinator for the taxi company information).
Read the online information before using your personal vehicle for university related activities.
At least 3 weeks prior to rural rotation/elective, email the site contact to confirm your arrival.
What To Bring:
- McGill ID card
- Laptop and/or tablet
|Pontiac Community Hospital
200 rue Argue
Shawville, QC, J0M 1E0
dromain.gmfpontiac [at] gmail.com (Danielle Romain)
07_CISSSO_STAGES_EN_MEDECINE [at] ssss.gouv.qc.ca (Regional Coordinator)
Dr. Maha Mikhail Mourad
Dr. Jonah Dabora