Follow us on:
How To Apply
Please read our program information https://mcgill.ca/mecheng/grad/info carefully before applying. The page contains program eligibility and requirements for each graduate program.
As of October 2012, McGill’s formerly paper-based graduate application process has been replaced with a more convenient electronic version. For detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents in the new version, please see: https://mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/prepare
Quick Application Checklist
- Complete online application form and pay the application fee.
- The following documents are required as a part of your application (Please see below for address):
- Official Transcripts.
- Two Reference Letters.
- A current CV, which should contain an updated list of publications and a list of extracurricular activities.
- A one-page Personal Statement.
Detail Application Procedure
- Applicants are required to apply online in uApply.
- Application fees and other charges are listed on the student accounts website.
- Please use the Communication tool within uApply for information on your application. Click on your application name to access the Checklist page. The Communication tool is on the left side of the page.
- For GPA conversion, please follow these directions. This step is not required but highly recommended
- Completed online application form.
- Reference letters: On the application form you must provide the names and email addresses of two professors who are familiar with your academic work. McGill will send by email these referees a link to upload references on your behalf. Referees should upload letters through an academically or institutionally recognized email address.
- Official transcripts:From each university-level institution you have attended to date. Uploaded copies will be considered unofficial; final, official copies will be required once you are offered admission. See www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/submitting-your-documents.
Official transcripts are not required for any studies conducted at McGill University. If applicant (including McGill applicants) has received transfer credits for courses taken at another institution towards their current degree, then transcripts must also be uploaded to Minerva.
If you completed a degree, then the applicant MUST provide final transcripts and degree certificates indicating that the degree(s) has/have been conferred and the date on which this took place (In cases where these documents are not written in English, please note that the applicant MUST provide the document/s in both Original language and in English translation).
For students who have completed studies in Iran: If you have completed your Bachelors and/or Master's program, you MUST provide the official version(s) of your transcript/s AND degree certificate/s that have been stamped and approved by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Justice (both English and Persian versions are required).
For students who have completed studies in China: If you have completed your Bachelors and/or Master's program, you MUST provide the official version(s) of your degree certificate/s AND your graduate certificate/s indicating that your degree has been conferred (both English and Chinese versions required).
- Official results of either a TOEFL or an IELTS test:
- Applicants whose mother tongue is not English.
- Applicants who have not completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a recognized foreign institution where English is the language of instruction or at a recognized Canadian institution (anglophone or francophone).
The minimum iBT (Internet Based) TOEFL score required is 92 with each component score no less than 20. Please note that your TOEFL report must date back no later than 2 years from the application deadline for which you are applying.
The minimum IELTS score is a minimum overall band of 7 or better.
To ensure that TOEFL scores are received by the department, students must complete a form "TOEFL Score Report Request Form" at the time of taking the test and quote 0935 as the University code for McGill.
- GRE scores are not required.
Note: If you are applying to multiple departments, you must upload all required documents in uApply for each application.
For inquiries please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator:
Tel: 514-398-8869 or 514-398-6281
Email: grad.mecheng [at] mcgill.ca