Graduate Student Orientation Session - FALL 2021
Tuesday, August 17, 2021@ 10:00 a.m
General Meeting / Orientation Session
The Virtual Orientation Session for new graduate students and the General Meeting of all graduate students will take place on Tuesday, August 17, 2021 via ZOOM.
Orientation Session for New Graduate Students
- (10:00 – 10:10) Introductions by Professor Jacques Hurtubise, Department Chair
- (10:10 – 10:25) Overview of the Graduate Program by Professor Pengfei Guan, GPD
- (10:25 – 10:30) Remarks by Jason Stillman, Graduate Program Coordinator
- (10:30 – 10:40) Information on the ISM, presented by Alexandra Haedrich, ISM representative
- (10:40 – 10:50) Presentation on computing, presented by David A. Stephens
- (10:50 – 10:55) Information on the Schulich Library, presented by April Colosimo
- (10:55 – 11:10) GPS outreach initiative to provide information on graduate funding opportunities
- (11:10 – 11:20) Information on Mitacs, presented by Noha Gerges
- (11:20 – 11:30) Q&A
General Meeting for All Graduate Students TBC
- (11:30 - 11:35) Opening remarks.
- (11:35 - 11:45) Discussion of graduate student activities. Information regarding graduate student positions on departmental committees, presented by Gavin Barill.
- (11:45 - 11:50) Orientation Student Ambassador: overview of McGill services relevant to students' academic success, well-being, and professional development.
- (11:50 - 12:00) AGSEM
- (12:00 – 12:30) Breakout Meeting for Research Groups TBC
Analysis: Hosted by Prof. Pengfei Guan
Number Theory: Hosted by Prof. Henri Darmon/ Prof. Eyal Goren
Applied Math: Hosted by Prof. Adam Oberman
Probability: Hosted by Prof. Jessica Lin
Geometry/Topology: Hosted by Prof. Jacques Hurtubise
Statistics: Hosted by Prof. Christian Genest
Please make every effort to attend the events. Although the morning orientation session is intended primarily for new students, we invite any interested returning students and staff to participate as well.
All graduate students are expected to attend the General meeting and Breakout Sessions.