Opportunities for Current Students

Loans and bursaries

To receive support from the Quebec Loans and Bursaries Program, students must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and be residents of Quebec registered as full-time students.

Canadian residents from provinces other than Quebec can apply for Canada Student Loans and for loans from their province of residence. Information about Quebec or Canada Student Loans is available from McGill Student Aid.

Travel awards

There are two possible sources of financial assistance to support travel for conference presentations or international travel associated with research. They are:

  1. The Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel Award
  2. The Graduate Mobility Award 

Deadlines for all travel applications:

  1. October 31
  2. January 31

Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

Post-travel report (mandatory)

Recipients of a travel award must, within two weeks following return from traveling, provide a 300-word report outlining the use of the travel award and the relevance of this travel to his or her graduate studies. The report must be submitted to grad.law [at] mcgill.ca along with copies of all related receipts.

Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel Award (GREAT Award)

GREAT Awards are intended to support travel related to participation in conferences; these awards shall be allocated to students presenting at conferences, particularly as the principal author of the work in question.

Interested students must complete our online GREAT Award application form (Log-in required).

  1. Graduate Certificate and Non-Thesis Master's students are not eligible to apply.
  2. Discretion rests with the Selection Committee as to the exact number of awards granted and their individual amounts.
  3. GREAT Awards will only be awarded to students showing evidence of satisfactory progress in the relevant program of study.
  4. Students may submit a maximum of two (2) applications per degree.
  5. Students who will be in Thesis Evaluation status at the time of the conference are not eligible to apply.

Applicants must also be prepared to submit the following information with their application:

  1. Description of purpose and travel (include dates and travel destination)
  2. Proof of acceptance of presentation at a conference to grad.law [at] mcgill.ca
  3. Proof of support from the applicant’s supervisor
  4. Budget outlining the anticipated use of the requested funding; note that food and beverage costs will not be covered.

Graduate Mobility Award (GMA)

GMAs encourage graduate students to study and conduct research abroad as part of their McGill degree program by defraying part of the cost of the international experience. The awards, funded by the Government of Quebec, are available to all full-time thesis students enrolled in a graduate degree program at McGill who have been nominated by their academic unit and Faculty to take part in a mobility opportunity. The mobility awards are meant to contribute toward the completion of the student’s thesis. A limited number of awards are available each year on a competitive basis.

Interested students must complete our Graduate Mobility Award Application Form [.pdf] and obtain a letter of support from their supervisor. These documents must be submitted to grad.law [at] mcgill.ca (subject: GRMA%20Award) .

  1. The GMA aims to encourage graduate students to study and conduct research outside of Quebec as part of their McGill degree program. Students will be awarded the Graduate Mobility Award based on academic unit and faculty nomination. 
  2. Detailed requirements can be consulted on Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' page about Graduate Mobility Awards.
  3. Nominees will be notified via email; they will then have to submit the online application form [.pdf] and additional supporting documentation to GPS for final review.
  4. Upon confirmation of the award from GPS, students must complete a Travel Registry form before their scheduled travel to receive funding.
  5. Graduate Certificate and Non-Thesis Master's students are not eligible to apply.
Back to top