Eligibility to Study in English

In order to receive instruction in English, children must be eligible, and parents must provide the necessary documentation to support their eligibility, as established by the Charter of the French Language (Bill 101). Please contact the English Montreal School Board (EMSB) for further information. In general, a parent may apply for a Certificate of Eligibility in the following cases:


  • Children with a parent who received their elementary education in English in Canada, and this parent is Canadian.
  • Children who have received the majority of elementary or secondary schooling in English in Canada, and one parent must be Canadian.
  • Children whose sibling has a Certificate of Eligibility, and the parent/s in common is a Canadian.
  • Children who have a serious learning disability may receive special authorization.
  • Children whose parents are in Quebec with a Temporary Work Permit* or Study Permit may receive temporary authorization for a maximum of 3 YEARS. (Renewable only under certain circumstances.)
  • Children of Canadians or permanent residents moving from another province, temporarily in QC for work/study under certain conditions.
  • Children attending a private elementary English school in Quebec must contact the EMSB for an individualized assessment to access an English private high school under the Points System, (only applicable to certain schools.)

English School Boards in Montreal

To consult English school boards' websites, visit the Schooling in Quebec section.

Becoming a Permanent Resident

The Quebec Ministry of Education has established that the validity of a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English is not to exceed the validity of the immigration document issued to the parent or child, or the duration of their temporary stay (up to a maximum of 3 years). It may be renewed under certain circumstances.  Temporary authorization cannot be granted to the children of foreign nationals who are claiming refugee status, or of foreign nationals who choose to settle in Québec as Permanent Residents and obtain a Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ).

If an authorization has already been granted, it expires on June 30 of the school year in which the CSQ is issued.

Children in this situation may continue their education in English in Quebec at a private, non-subsidized  English school. For details, visit our Private Schools section.  Always consult your child's situation with a Bill 101 Specialist at the EMSB.

Back to top