The McGill Family Care website provides information about various aspects of family care to the entire McGill community. It is the product of a collaboration between the Joint Board Senate Committee on Equity (JBSCE) Subcommittee on Family Care and the Faculty Relocation Advisor
The JBSCE Subcommittee on Family Care
The JBSCE Subcommittee on Family Care was launched in January 2015. Its role is defined by the following terms of reference:
The Subcommittee on Family Care shall advise on the development of - or modifications to - University policy regarding persons with dependants, including child and elderly dependants, across constituencies of the University and recommend ameliorations to the JBSCE. In order to proceed with this task, the Subcommittee will undergo evaluation and monitoring of the population of persons with dependants and of their special needs, will take a role of advocate for this group, will seek and propose concrete solutions to help this group, and will help create and maintain a web platform to gather information relevant to persons with dependants.
As of October 2020, the composition of the subcommittee is:
- Joan Butterworth, Leadership Development Training Facilitator, Chair
- Michelle Cubano Guzman, Faculty Relocation Advisor
- Lisa Munter, Faculty of Medicine
- Jessica Giles, Access Services Advisor, Office for Students with Disabilities
- Emily Shallhorn, Student Services Wellness Hub
- Sara Charbonneau, Human Resources
- Dora Xiong, PGSS Representative
- Maheen Akter, SSMU Student Life Representative
- Kai Page, SSMU Representative
Families and family circumstances vary. Throughout this website, the term “family” connotes all family forms. The website seeks to support and welcome McGill’s diverse families within its larger vision of a family-friendly campus, recognizing that working, teaching and/or studying while balancing family life and care commitments is a challenging reality.
Statement voted on March 29 2017