Private Caregiving Services
- Many private caregiving agencies exist. Prices and quality of service vary. You may find it helpful to get recommendations from colleagues and friends.
- Agence Ometz has a Personal Support Worker for Seniors training program. Contact the training coordinator at 514-342-0000, ext.3498 with queries about available caregivers.
- It may be difficult to find private caregivers who will work a night shift.
- Before hiring a caregiver, find a list of interview questions online to ensure a thorough interview.
- Care.com is a directory of caregivers, along with their professional profiles.
Health and Nutrition
- Alzheimer Groupe provides support services to persons with a diagnosis, as well as to caregivers and family members.
- Alzheimer Society Montreal
- Centre de santé et de services sociaux Cavendish - Care and services for people with loss of autonomy
- Dispill is a pill dispensing service offered by Jean-Coutu pharmacies. There is no fee for the service and delivery is free.
- Douglas Hospital Moe Levin Day Centre – serves people with mild to moderate cognitive deficit.
- Foot care: Ask your social worker for a list of podiatrists who come to the home.
- Meals on Wheels (www.popoteroulante.com) delivers hot or frozen food to the home.
- Kosher Meals on Wheels delivers kosher hot or frozen food to the home.
Home Care Equipment and Safety
Make sure that the home is adequately and evenly lit, floor space is unobstructed, floors are not slippery and stairs are safe. Some of the safety equipment listed below may be fully or partially covered by private insurance:
- Bathroom grab bars
- Shower or bathtub bench
- MedicAlert offers medical ID personal accessories to communicate physical condition during an emergency.
- AlarmCare Elderly Alert offers two way communication and an emergency button via an alarm system.
- Lifeline offers various safety solutions for seniors.
- Paratransit is a Societé de transport (STM) service that offers adapted transit to persons with reduced mobility.
- Assisted Transportation and Accompaniment Service (ATASE) drivers accompany people to and from medical appointments. They can also stay with people during appointments. Contact the Cummings Centre for details.
- Disabled Parking Permits are granted by the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).
- Adult Activity and Respite Centre (AARC)
- Centre Évasion
- Centre intégré universitaire de santé et services sociaux
- Contactivity Centre
- Cummings Centre Program Guide
- Limitless Learning in Montreal (The Senior Times)
- Maison des Tournesols
- Montreal Family Ties, Activities for Seniors
- Visavie is a housing counselling service for seniors. Assistance with finding a retirement home, as well as other home services, are offered.
- Guide se loger (publication Bel Âge)
- Disability tax credit (Government of Canada)
- Tax Credit for Home-Support Services (Revenue Quebec) for persons 70 and older.