Faculty of Education COVID-19 FAQs

Newly Admitted Students - Kindergarten/Elementary

English Exam for Teacher Certification

All students are required to register for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (EDEC 215) in the Fall term of their first year (U1 year) in the program. Please refer to the English Language Requirement section of the Internships & Student Affairs website for details.

Kindergarten and Elementary advising documents (for students admitted Fall 2020):


Registration Plans:

K Elementary Four Year Overview registration plan K Elementary Three Year Overview registration plan 

Registration plans are provided because of the tight nature of the program - to ensure timely completion of your program, you are advised to follow the sequence of courses as outlined above.

The Four Year Overview is for most students, and it allocates space for completing all of the requirements in your K/Elementary B.Ed. degree. Please note, students needing to complete a Freshman year will be starting in year 0, thus, will be following a five year study plan.

The Three Year Overview is designed for students who have significant advanced standing, (typically students with transfer credits from other universities) and does not include room in your schedule for completing the subject area and elective course portions of the Kindergarten and Elementary program.

A complete list of courses, course descriptions and prerequisites can be found below. 

Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) - Kindergarten and Elementary Education (120 Credits)


Freshman Year U0

Students whose highest level of education is high school (normally out of province) are admitted into Year 0 (U0) to complete the Freshman Program.

The Freshman Program consists of 30 credits of the students’ choice, verified by an advisor. There are no required courses in the Freshman Program, though the department recommends that students use the opportunity to take 100 or 200 level courses in the subjects taught in Elementary school, as well as to explore areas that are not normally taken as teachable subject area courses within B.Ed. programs (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, etc.).

Freshman Program Advising

The department also recommends the following courses:

  • EDEM 220 Contemporary Issues in Ed. 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

  • EDEE 325 Children's Literature 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

    EDES 366 Literature for Young Adults 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

  • A French Language course (FRSL 101, 207, 211). Placement Test Required
  • A Religion course (Example,
    RELG 207 Intro to Study of Religions 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

  • CEAP 250 Research Essay & Rhetoric 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

  • MATH 111 Math for Education Students 3 Credits
      Offered in the:
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Summer

    (strongly recommended as preparation for EDEE 230 - Elementary School Math. 1
  • For more examples of courses suitable for Freshman Year 0 students, see the course list for the Freshman Program of the Faculty of Arts.

If you are admitted into McGill with advanced standing (International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, etc.), those credits may be used to fulfill some or all of your Freshman requirements.

Thinking of transferring to PIF? Consider the PIF Freshman Year

Freshman students who have a strong background in French (ex. Grade 12 French Immersion Program) should consider registering for the Freshman en français year (offered through the Faculty of Arts). Following successful completion of this program and the French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT), students will be transferred to the PIF program for Year 1. For details, please see the information for prospective PIF students website or speak with your advisor.

Freshman Advising

All Freshman students must have their Fall and Winter course selections verified prior to the start of classes. This can be done by email or by attending the group advising session in late August. To verify your course selection by email, send a message to advisedise.education [at] mcgill.ca with the subject “Freshman Course Selection” and your student ID number in the body.

Information for Advanced Standing Students

Students who attended University prior to coming to McGill may be eligible for transfer credit. Please verify the credits already awarded to you by Admissions on your Minerva Unofficial Transcript. If you believe that you are entitled to additional credits, please review the Advising Session for Advanced Standing Students slideshow and speak with your advisor. Please use the following Course Equivalency Template to keep track of your equivalencies.

Student Advising Support Team:

Tina Schiavone, Academic Advisor
Susie Vodopivec, Academic Advisor
Grace Wong- McAllister, Academic Advisor

Tel.: (514) 398-4527, Ext. 094692 - Email

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I find help on how to use Minerva to register for courses?

Step by step instructions and a tutorial video can be found on this website. In addition, the Internships & Student Affairs office is available to help you with registration difficulties.

When do I need to start registering for courses?

Registration for courses for newly admitted students begins in June and ends a couple weeks after classes in the semester begin.  A complete list of registration start and end dates can be found here.

What is the difference between a U0 and U1 student?

“U0” or “Freshman Program Student” is the term used to define students who have been admitted without advanced standing. Generally, this refers to students who are admitted to McGill from outside Quebec. Admitted students who have completed CEGEP are considered U1 students. Refer to the section titled “Freshman Program Advising” for further information. 

When are my field experiences (dates)?

See the overviews above to find the semesters in which you should complete your field experiences. In addition, the start and end dates for all field experiences each year can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

Does my first field experience conflict with my other fall semester courses?

No it does not.  If you are registering for the fall semester courses found on the overview (4 year or 3 year), your Fall semester courses will end early, in November, after which your First Field Experience (EDFE 200) and your First Year Seminar (EDEC 201) will begin and run until mid-December.  Your first Fall semester will be unique in this way.

I'm having trouble registering for EDFE 200 and EDEC 201

EDFE 200 and EDEC 201 must be registered for simultaneously.  To do this, make note of the CRNs of both courses (first column on left when you search for courses) and enter them both into the "Quick Add" feature on Minerva (step 2 on the registration menu).

I've written an English exit exam already, do I need to register for EDEC 215?

Yes, the provincial government requires that all students in teacher education programs demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction.  More information can be found here

What are the subject area courses that I should register for in my winter semester?

A complete list of subject area courses, descriptions and prerequisites can be found in the "Kindergarten & Elementary Education - Subject Areas" section of the eCalendar. You are advised to take a course from more than one subject area during your first year at McGill.

What should I do if I'm having trouble registering for a course?

If you are getting an error such as 'program restriction' or 'reserve closed' when attempting to register for a course, first ensure that you are selecting the section designated for your program (if applicable: see the notes under the course in class schedule search on Minerva).  If you are still having trouble, contact the department offering the course (Educational and Counselling Psychology for EDPE and EDPI courses, Linguistics for LING courses, English for ENGL courses, etc.).  The calendar entry for the course will indicate the offering department.

If I am interested in taking French courses, where do I go to take the French Placement Test?

Information about French courses and the French Placement Test can be found on the French Language Centre website.

If I am interested in switching to the PIF (Pédagogie de l'Immersion Français), what do I need to do?

You must first sign up for and complete the French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT). You will be given the option to transfer if you pass.

What advanced standing can I expect to receive from my previous university study? When will my advanced standing appear on my transcript?

In the Faculty of Education students are eligible to receive advanced standing only for courses that are applicable to their programs. The admissions office makes decisions on advanced standing for all incoming students over the summer. Your advanced standing may not appear on your transcript immediately.

Until the admissions office has entered your advanced standing on your transcript, you are advised to attempt to get a sense of the transfer credits you might receive by looking at the program requirements on the program checklist (above). Students typically receive advanced standing for subject area courses rather than required education courses (unless their previous university education was in a teacher training program). Additional advice for self-assessing your transfer credits can be found on the Internships & Student Affairs website.

When the admissions office has assessed your advanced standing, you should review it, and if you feel that you might be eligible for additional courses, contact your advisor.

The information on this program is organized for three distinct groups:

Prospective Students     Newly Admitted     Currently Registered Students

Back to top