Immunization and Basic Cardiac Life Support

Compulsory Immunization Program

Students enrolled in health education programs (Medicine, Dentistry, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Nursing, etc.) are required by law to complete a series of immunizations to ensure safety of both students and the patients with whom they come into contact.

Students must complete the immunization form found on the Student Wellness Hub website. All vaccinations listed on the form are compulsory for all health education program students. Vaccinations may be completed by a family physician, a health care provider, or by a nurse at McGill Student Wellness Hub. If you are considering applying to the DMD Program or any of the pathways, we very strongly recommend that you start your immunization very early on as you will be required to submit proof of complete vaccination by June 1st of the year you would be entering dental school.

If you choose to complete your immunizations through your family physician or another health care provider, make sure to follow the McGill immunization requirements since the Student Wellness Hub will not accept different immunization protocols. 

You have access to the Student Wellness Hub as soon as you are accepted into the program and registered to all least one course. You must call 514-398-6017 to make an appointment.

Your historical vaccination records will be required. Any document written in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a certified translation.

Hepatitis B Testing

Current information indicates that there is a potential risk of transmission of Hepatitis B from practitioner to patients in the clin­ical dental setting. Therefore, applicants for the D.M.D. program, Multidisciplinary Residency Program in Dentistry and M.Sc. in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery will be required to be tested for Hepatitis B surface antigen by the Student Wellness Hub. Appli­cants who test positive for Hepatitis B surface antigen will be test­ed for Hepatitis B “e” antigen and Hepatitis B viral DNA to help determine infectivity risk. If either Hepatitis B “e” or Hepatitis B viral DNA is positive, the offer of acceptance will be withdrawn and reg­istration in the program will not be completed.

Policy On Students Known To Be Seropositive (e.g. Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV)

Health Sciences students who think they might be infected or think they have been exposed to a blood-borne disease should be tested for any or all blood-borne pathogens.

Students who are seropositive for Hepatitis B, C, HIV and/or any other blood-borne pathogens have an obligation to notify the Dean or Director of the school as soon as they know their serologic status. These students will be referred to the "Service d’évaluation du risque de transmission d’infections hématogènes", a provincial service responsible for all infected workers, including dental and medical stu­dents. This service will make recommendations to the students and Faculty based on current scientific knowledge and relevant guidelines and practices. Students must follow the recommenda­tions of the Service. The Service may recommend restricting the practice of these students. Students who carry blood-borne path­ogens may not be permitted to perform procedures involving nee­dles, scalpels or other sharp objects as this may pose a risk to patients and co-workers. This means that they may not be able to complete their clinical requirements and may be required to withdraw.

Applicants who know they are carrying blood-borne patho­gens should carefully consider their intention to become healthcare workers and govern themselves accordingly.

Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)

Applicants accepted into our DMD program must provide proof of certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), level C or C+, and automated external defibrillation (AED) training. Certification must be granted, or fully recognised, by one of the following organisations: the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Quebec Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Canadian Red Cross, St. John Ambulance, the American Heart Association, or the American Red Cross.

You may take the course at any location which offers the proper training such as your local YMCA, the Canadian Red Cross, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, etc.

The CPR/AED certification must be valid for at least the first year of your studies. Students are responsible for maintaining valid certification for the duration of the program.

Back to top