Yazhou (Tim) Xie
Professor Xie's research interests lie within the broad areas of resilience, infrastructure systems, and natural hazards. His research goal is to promote hazard resilience and sustainability of infrastructure systems using advanced modeling and smart protection. Research areas include (1) multi-hazard performance and risk assessment of civil structures using high-fidelity simulation; (2) earthquake hazard mitigation using smart materials, devices, designs, and sensing technologies; (3) regional hazard fragility, loss, and resilience assessment of infrastructure networks; and (4) physics-informed machine learning techniques for applications in natural hazards engineering.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rice University (2019)
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles (2017)
- M.S., Tongji University (2011)
- B.E., Tongji University (2008)
- Structural Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Travel Grant, NHERI Wall of Wind Workshop, Florida International University, NSF, 2019
- Travel Grant, NSF NHERI EF + RAPID Workshop, Oregon State University, NSF, 2019
- Travel Grant, SimCenter Training in Natural Hazards Engineering, UC Berkeley, NSF, 2019
- Travel Grant, Southeast University Overseas Young Scholar Forum, Southeast University, China, 2019
- Research Mentor Grant, Nakatani RIES Fellowship Program, Nakatani Foundation, 2018
- Registration Grant, 11th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, EERI, 2018
- Dissertation Year Fellowship, UCLA Graduate Division, 2016-2017
- Martin Rubin Scholarship, UCLA, 2013-2014
- Outstanding Student and Excellent Graduate Award, Tongji University, 2008-2011
- Outstanding Student Scholarships, Tongji University, 2005-2008
- Y. Xie, M. Ebad Sichani, J. Padgett, R. DesRoches, The promise of implementing machine learning in earthquake engineering: A state-of-the-art review, Earthquake Spectra, 2020 (in review).
- L. Han, Y. Xie, Y. Gu, W. Yuan, R. DesRoches, Shake table tests of highway bridges installed with unbonded steel mesh reinforced rubber bearings, Engineering Structures, 2020 (206) 110124, 1-15.
- S. Gur, Y. Xie, R. DesRoches, Seismic fragility analysis of steel building frames installed with superelastic SMA dampers: comparison with yield dampers, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 2019,30 (18-19) 2670-2687.
- Y. Xie, R. DesRoches, Sensitivity of seismic demands and fragility estimates of a typical California highway bridge to uncertainties in its soil-structure interaction modeling, Engineering Structures, 2019, (189) 605-617.
- Y. Xie, J. Zhang, R. DesRoches, J. Padgett, Seismic fragility of single-column highway bridges with rocking column-footing, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2019; 1-22.
- Y. Xie, Q. Zheng, C.S.W. Yang, W. Zhang, R. DesRoches, J. Padgett, E. Taciroglu, Probabilistic models of abutment backfills for regional seismic assessment of highway bridges in California, Engineering Structures, 2019, (180) 452-467.
- J. Zhang, Y. Xie, G. Wu, Seismic responses of bridges with rocking column-foundation: a dimensionless regression analysis, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2019; 48: 152-170.
- Y. Xie, J. Zhang, W. Xi, Effectiveness evaluation and optimal design of nonlinear viscous dampers for inelastic structures under pulse-type ground motions, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2018, 47: 2802-2820.
- Y. Xie, J. Zhang, Y. Huo, Simplified drift demand prediction of bridges under liquefaction induced lateral spreading, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2018, 23(8): 04018053.
- Y. Xie, J. Zhang, Design and optimization of seismic isolation and damping devices for highway bridges based on probabilistic repair cost ratio, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 2018, 144(8): 04018125.
- Y. Xie, Y. Huo, J. Zhang, Development and validation of p-y modeling approach for seismic response predictions of highway bridges, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2017, 46(4): 585-604.
- Y. Xie, J. Zhang, Optimal design of seismic protective devices for highway bridges using performance based methodology and multi-objective genetic optimization, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2016, 22(3):04016129.
- Soil-structure interaction; soil liquefaction
- Innovative seismic design; smart material and device (shape memory alloy, rocking isolation, base isolator, energy dissipation device)
- Performance-based earthquake engineering
- Statistical and machine learning
- Hybrid simulation; structural control
- Regional fragility, loss, and resilience assessment
- Multi-hazard, multi-objective optimization and decision making