Luc E Chouinard
Professor Chouinard is a specialist in the field of structural engineering. His research and teaching interests are diverse, including spatial modelling of environmental data (earthquakes, hurricanes, icebergs), estimation of natural and man-made hazards, reliability analysis of engineering systems, and the inspection, evaluation and modelling of aging infrastructures and optimal allocation of repair and maintenance funds. He joined the department in June 1992.
B.Eng., M.Eng. (Montreal)
- Moghtadernejad S, Chouinard L, Mirza Saeed (2021) Enhanced façade design: A data-driven approach for decision analysis based on past experiences, Developments in the Built Environment, Volume 5, March 2021, 100038.
- Keserle GC, Sanchez T, Conciatori D, Chouinard L (2021) Monitoring of environmental and climatic exposure conditions for structures in coldrRegions J. of Cold Region Engineering, ASCE.
- Zhang Y, Chouinard L, Power G, Conciatori D (2021) Bayesian Procedures for Updating Deterioration Space-Time Models for Optimizing the Utility of Concrete Structures, Engineering Structures, Volume 228, 1 February 2021, 111522.
- Rosset P, Bent LB, Chouinard L (2020) Correlating DYFI Data With Seismic Microzonation in the Region of Montreal, Earth Science Research; Vol. 9, No. 2; 2020, P 85-92.
- Gao G, Meguid M. Chouinard L (2020) Dynamic disintegration processes accompanying transport of an earthquake-induced landslide, Landslides, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-020-01508-1.
- Gao, G., Meguid, M.A. & Chouinard, L.E., Chong, X. (2020) Insights into the Transport and Fragmentation Characteristics of Earthquake-Induced Rock Avalanche: Numerical Study, International Journal of Geomechanics, Vol. 20, Issue 9 (September 2020)
- Gao, G., Meguid, M.A. & Chouinard, L.E., Chong, X. (2020) On the role of pre-existing discontinuities on the micromechanical behavior of confined rock samples: A numerical study Acta Geotechnica, 15 (12), 3483-3510.
- Meidani, M., Meguid, M.A. & Chouinard, L.E. (2020) On the Response of Polyethylene Pipes to Lateral Ground Movements: Insights from Finite-Discrete Element Analysis. Int. J. of Geosynth. and Ground Eng. 6, 15 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40891-020-00201-6
- Moghtadernejad, S, Chouinard L, Mirza S (2020) Design strategies using multi-criteria decision-making tools to enhance the performance of building façades, Journal of Building Engineering (Elsevier), Volume 30, 101274.
- Moghtadernejad S, Chouinard L, Mirza S (2019) Façade Design Stages: Issues and Considerations, Journal of Architectural Engineering (ASCE), 2019, 25(1): 04018033.
- Moghtadernejad S, Mirza S, Chouinard L (2019) Determination of the fuzzy measures for multi-criteria and optimal design of a building façade using Choquet integrals, Journal of Building Engineering 26 (November 2019), 100877.
- Chouinard L, Shahsavari V., Bastien J. (2019) Reliability of Wavelet Analysis of Mode Shapes for the Early Detection of Damage in Beams, Front. Built Environ., 05 July 2019 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fbuil.2019.00091
- Sajid S, Chouinard L, Carino N (2019) Robustness of Resonant Frequency Test for Strength Estimation of Concrete, Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, doi:10.1520/ACEM20190059 / Vol. 8 / No. 1 / 2019, p. 451-462.
- Sajid S, Chouinard L (2019) Impulse Response Test for Condition Assessment of Concrete: A Review, Journal Construction and Building Materials, 211 (2019) 317–328.
- Moghtadernejad S, Chouinard C, Mirza S (2018) Multi-criteria decision-making methods for preliminary design of sustainable facades, Journal of Building Engineering (Elsevier), Volume 19, September 2018, Pages 181-190
- Sajid SH, Ali SM, Carino NJ, Saeed S, Sajid HU, Chouinard L (2018) Strength estimation of concrete masonry units using stress-wave methods, Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier), Volume 163, Pages 518-528
- Meidani M, Meguid M, Chouinard L (2018) A finite-discrete element approach for modelling polyethylene pipes subjected to axial ground movement, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2018.1483812
- Meidani M, Meguid M, Chouinard L (2018) Estimating earth loads on buried pipes under axial loading condition: insights from 3D discrete element analysis, International Journal of Geo-Engineering, 9: 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40703-018-0073-3
- Zhang Y, Chouinard L, Power G, Bastien J (2018) Flexible decision analysis procedures for optimizing the sustainability of ageing infrastructure under climate change, Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, DOI: 10.1080/23789689.2018.1448665
- Zhang, Y, Chouinard, L. E, & Conciatori, D. (2018). Markov Chain Based Stochastic Modeling of Chloride Ion Transport in Concrete Bridges. Frontiers in Built Environment, 4, 12. Front. Built Environ. | doi: 10.3389/fbuil.2018.00012
- Sajid S, Chouinard L (2017) Quality Control Guidelines in Small Scale Concrete Masonry Facilities Using Non-destructive Testing and Statistical Process Control, NDT Canada 2017, NDT Advancements in Concrete Testing, NDT.net, The e-Journal of Non-destructive Testing - ISSN 1435-4934.
- Shahshavari V, Chouinard L (2017), Detection of Small Levels of Incremental Damage Using Likelihood Ratio Approach, NDT Canada 2017, Innovative NDT technologies/methods NDT.net, The e-Journal of Non-destructive Testing - ISSN 1435-4934.
- Tamima, U., and Chouinard, L. (2017) “Systemic seismic vulnerability of transportation networks and emergency facilities”. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems 23(4) (2017).
- Shahsavari V., Chouinard L and Bastien J (2017) Wavelet-based analysis of mode shapes for statistical detection and localization of damage in beams using likelihood ratio test, Engineering Structures, Volume 132, 1 February 2017, Pages 494–507.
- Shahsavari V., Bastien J, Chouinard L and Clément A (2017) Likelihood-Based Testing of Wavelet Coefficients for Damage Detection in Beam Structures, Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, February 2017, Volume 7, Issue 1, pp 79–98.
- Meidani, M., Meguid, M.A. and Chouinard L.E. (2017). Evaluation of soil–pipe interaction under relative axial ground movement, ASCE Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 8(4), 1-10.
- Tamima U, Chouinard L (2016) Development of evacuation models for moderate seismic zones: A case study of Montreal, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol. 16, 167-179.
- Erfani, R., Chouinard, L., Legeron, F. (2016) Reliability Analysis of Empirical Icing Models for Estimating Extreme Events, Natural Hazards, May 2016, Volume 82, Issue 1, pp 415–439.
- Mahmoudi, S.N., Chouinard, L. (2016). Seismic Fragility Assessment of Highway Bridges Using Support Vector Machines", June 2016, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 14, Issue 6, pp 1571–1587.
- Rezaei NS, Chouinard L, Langlois S, Legeron F. (2016) Analysis of the effect of climate change on the reliability of overhead transmission lines, Journal of Sustainable Cities and Society, Sustainable Cities and Society,Vol. 27, p 137-144.
- Braganza S, Atkinson GM, Ghofrani H, Hassani B, Chouinard L, Rosset P, Motazedian D, and Hunter J, Modeling Site Amplification in Eastern Canada on a Regional Scale, Seismological Research Letters Volume 87, Number 4 July/August 2016.
- Talukder, M.K. and Chouinard, L., Probabilistic methods for the estimation of seismic Fa and Fv maps—application to Montreal, Bull Earthquake Eng (2016) 14: 345-372.
- Yu, K, Chouinard L, and Rosset P. (2016): Seismic vulnerability assessment for Montreal, Georisk: Assessment and Management of Risk for Engineered Systems and Geohazards, GEORISK, 2016, VOL. 10, NO. 2, 164–178.
- Kalantarnia M, Chouinard L, Foltz S, (2016), An Objective Procedure for the Optimization of Inspection and Testing Strategies for Spillways, J. Infrastruct. Syst., 2016, 22(1): 04015011, 1-12.
- Ghofrani H., Atkinson G.M., Chouinard L., Rosset P., and Tiampo, K.F. (2015) Scenario Shakemaps for Montreal, Can. J. Civ. Eng.42: 463–476, dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2014-0496.
- Rosset P., Bour-Belvaux M., and Chouinard L. (2015). Microzonation Models for Montreal with Respect to VS30. Bull Earthquake Eng 13:2225–2239.
- Conciatori, D., Gregoire, E., Samson, E. and Marchand, J. and Chouinard, L. (2015). Sensitivity of chloride ingress modelling in concrete to input parameter variability. Materials and Structures, September 2015, Volume 48, Issue 9, pp 3023–3036.
- Wolofsky, R., Chouinard, L., Conciatori, D., Bastien, J. (2015). Updating of Chloride Ingress Models Using Core Data Measurements. International Journal of Reliability and Safety (IJRS), Vol. 9, No. 4, p. 291-310.
- Tran, VDH and Meguid, MA and Chouinard, LE. (2015). Three-Dimensional Analysis of Geogrid- Reinforced Soil Using a Finite-Discrete Element Framework. Inter. J. of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol. 14, No. 4, p 401-406.
- Erfani, R., Chouinard, L. Cloutier, L. (2014). De-aggregated hazard of freezing rain events. Atmospheric Research. 145-146(Aug-Sept): 297-312.
- Tehrani, P. and Goda, K., Mitchell, D. and Atkinson, G.M. and Chouinard, L.E. (2014). Effects of Different Record Selection Methods on the Transverse Seismic Response of a Bridge in South Western British Columbia. J. of Earthq. Eng.. 18(4): 611-636.
- Conciatori, D. and Gregoire, E. and Samson, E. and Marchand, J. and Chouinard, L. (2014). Statistical analysis of concrete transport properties. Materials and Structures. 47(1-2): 89--103.
- Kalantarnia, M., Chouinard, L., Foltz, S. (2014). Application of Dormant Reliability Analysis to Spillways, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 20(1):04013003, 1-7.
- Tran, V.D.H. and Yacoub, T.E. and Meguid, M.A. and Chouinard, L.E. (2013). On the analysis of vertical shafts in soft ground, Journal of Infrastructure systems, ASCE. 20(1).
- Tran, V.D.H., Meguid, M.A. and Chouinard, L.E. (2013) "A finite–discrete element framework for the 3D modeling of geogrid–soil interaction under pullout loading conditions", Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol. 37, pp. 1-9.
- Goulet, J.-A. and Texier, M. and Michel, C. and Smith, I., and Chouinard, L. (2013). Quantifying the Effects of Modeling Simplifications for Structural Identification of Bridges. J. of Bridge Eng., 19(1): 59--71.
- Tran, VDH and Meguid, M. A. and Chouinard, L.E. (2012). An Algorithm for the Propagation of Uncertainty in Soils using the Discrete Element Method. The E. J. of Geotechnical Engineering. Vol. 17 , Bund. V, 3053-3074.
- Erfani, R. and Chouinard, L. (2012). Automated synoptic typing of freezing rain events for hazard analysis. Atmospheric Research. 111: 58--70.
- Tamima, U. and Chouinard, L. (2012). Framework for Earthquake Evacuation Planning: Case Study for Montreal, Canada. Leadership and Management in Engineering (ASCE). 12(4): 222--230.
- Peyras, L. and Gervais, R. and Serre, D. and Chouinard, L. and Diab, Y. and Tourment, R. (2011). Condition evaluation of water retaining structures…, European J. of Env. and Civ. Eng. 15(3): 335--356.
- Gilles, D. and McClure, G. and Chouinard, L.E. (2011). Uncertainty in fundamental period estimates leads to inaccurate design seismic loads. Can. J. of Civil Eng. 38(8): 870--880.
- Rosset P, Chouinard L (2009) Characterization of site effects in Montreal, Canada, Natural Hazards 48(2):295-308
- Caron, D. and Chouinard, L.E. (2007) "A method for determining spillway condition", Hydro Review, pp.32-39.
- Bonhomme, J., Chouinard, L.E. (2004) "Cycle time and production data in the aluminium fabrication industry", APT Aluminium – Process and Product Technology, March, pp. 83-87.
- Feknous, N. Chouinard, L.E. and Sabourin, G. (2003) 'Influence de la direction et de la vitesse du vent sur l’accumulation du verglas", Choc-Magazine de l’association de l’industrie électrique du Québec, Vol. 20, No. 3, février, pp. 14-15.
- Rosset, P., de la Puente, A., Chouinard, L.E., Mitchell, D. and Adams, J. (2002) "Seismic response of soft soil in urban area: The case study of Montreal, Quebec, Canada", Seismological Research Letters, 73, Vol. 2, p. 257.
- Andersen, G., Cox, C.W., Chouinard, L.E., and Hover, W.H. (2001) “Prioritization of Ten Embankment Dams According to Physical Deficiencies”, J. of Geotech. and Geoen. Eng, ASCE, Vol. 127, No. 4, April 2001, pp. 335-345.
- Andersen, G., Chouinard, L.E., Hover, W.H., and Cox, C.W. (2001) “A Risk Indexing Tool for Prioritizing Improvements to Embankment Dams Inventories”, J. of Geotech. and Geoen. Eng, ASCE, Vol. 127, No. 4, April 2001, pp. 325-334.
- Robichaud, J.G., Chouinard, L.E., Andersen, G., and Torrey III, V. (2000) “Using Indexing Tools to Prioritize Work on Dams”, Hydro Review, Vol. XIX, No. 4, July, pp. 40-47.
- El-Fashny, K., Chouinard, L.E., and McClure, G. (1999) “Reliability Analysis of Telecommunication Towers”, Canadian J. of Civil Eng., v.26, n.1, p.1, 12 pages.
- Andersen, G.R., Chouinard, L.E., Bouvier, C., and Back, W.E. (1999) “A Rational Approach to the Prioritization of Maintenance and Repair Funds for the Monitoring of Embankment Dams”, J. of Geotech. and Geoen. Eng, ASCE, v.125, n.4, p.247, 13 pages.
- El-Fashny, K., Chouinard, L.E., and Nguyen, V.T. (1998) “Modeling of Icing Events Based on Passive Ice Meter Observations in Quebec”. Atm. Research, July 1998, 9 pages.
- Chouinard, L.E., Liu C., and Cooper, C.K. (1997) "A Model for the Severity of Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico", Journal of Waterways, Harbor, and Coastal Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 123, No. 3, May/June 1997, pp 113-119.
- Chouinard, L.E., Liu C. (1997) "A Model for the Recurrence Rate of Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico", Accepted for the Journal of Waterways, Harbor, and Coastal Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 123, No. 3, May/June 1997, pp. 120-129.
- Chouinard, L.E., Andersen, G.R., Torrey III, V.H. (1996) "Ranking Models for the Condition Assessment of Civil Infrastructure Systems", Journal of Infrastructure Systems, American Society of Civil Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 1996, pp. 23-29.
- Chouinard, L.E., Bennett, D., and Feknous, N. (1995) "Statistical Analysis of Monitoring Data for Maintenance Decision Support", Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 9, No. 4, November 1995, pp. 286-301.
- Chouinard, L.E. (1995) "Modeling of Ice Scouring Hazards for the Beaufort Sea", Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers. Vol. 9, No. 4, December 1995, pp. 167-182.
- Veneziano D. and Chouinard, L. (1989), "Combination of Seismic Source and Historic Estimates of Earthquake Hazard", Earthquake Hazard and the Design of Constructed Facilities in the Eastern United States, Editors K. Jacobs and C. J. Turkstra, Annals of the New York Academy of Science, Vol 556, pp. 148 161.
Refereed Book Chapters and Special Publications
- Thomas O.O., Chouinard L, Langlois S (2020) A Probabilistic Stress - Life Model for Fretting Fatigue of Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced Cable - Clamp Systems Engineering Assets and Public Infrastructures in the Age of Digitalization, Proceedings of the 13th World Congress on Engineering Asset Management, Editors: Liyanage, Jayantha P., Amadi-Echendu, Joe, Mathew, Joseph (Eds.), Springer, p 704-715. (Book Chapter)
- Nadal-Caraballo, Norberto C.; Gonzalez, Victor M.; Chouinard, Luc. (2019) Storm recurrence rate models for tropical cyclones : report 1 of a series on the quantification of uncertainties in probabilistic storm surge models, Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory (U.S.), Engineer Research and Development Center (U.S.), ERDC/CHL TR-19-4, US Army Corps of Engineers,137 pages.
- Tamina, U., Chouinard, L. (2014) Decision-Making Behavior of Earthquake Evacuees An Application of Discrete Choice Models, in Numerical Methods for Multiscale and Multiphysics in Reliability and Safety, Springer.
- Chouinard, L. Rosset, P. (2013). Seismic Microzonation of Montreal, Geological survey of Canada, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File Report, 150 p.
- Hunter, JA and Crow, HL and Arsenault, JL and Atukorala, U and Best, ME and Campos, D and Candy, C and Chouinard, L and Claprood, M and Dutrisac, H and others. (2012). Shear Wave Velocity Measurement Guidelines, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File. 7078.
- Chouinard L, Foltz S, Robichaud JG, Wittebolle (2008) Flood and Coastal Storm Damage Reduction R&D Program – Condition Assessment Methodology for Spillways, ERDC/CERL TR-08-10, US Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, 128 pages.
- Estes, A.C., Foltz, S.D. and Chouinard, L.E. (2007) "Using visual condition assessment data for the life-cycle management of spillway gate systems on dams, Infrastructure Reporting and Asset Management: Best Practices and Opportunities", (Ed. A. Amekudzi and S. McNeil), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Reston, Virginia.
- Andersen G, Chouinard L, Foltz S (1999) REMR Management Systems – Flood Control Structures, Condition Rating Procedures for Earth and Rockfill Embankment Dams, Technical Report REMR-OM-25, US Army corps of Engineers, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, 108 pages.
- Estimation of ice scouring hazards for offshore oil production facilities
- Condition indexing system for the rehabilitation, evaluation, maintenance and repair of embankment dams
- Ice forecasting model for navigation in Canadian waters
- Estimation of hurricane hazards in the Gulf of Mexico
- Risk analysis of telecommunication networks with respect to atmospheric icing hazards
- Real-time reliability analysis of the Idukki Dam (India) from monitoring data
- Eastern Regional Technical Committee of CANSEE
- Member of Engineering Mechanics Committee of CSCE
- Member of Rehabilition of Infrastructures
- Co-Chair of the Subcommittee on Prevention and Life Expectance
- Research engineer at Chevron Oil Field Research Company
- Consulting activities include: seismic hazard analysis, hurricane hazard analysis, design criteria for offshore platforms, sampling strategies, inspection and monitoring of structures, optimal maintenance strategies