Ph.D., P.Eng., FACI
Professor Boyd’s research interests lie in the areas of construction materials and sustainability, particularly as they relate to transportation infrastructure. Specific fields of research include durability, non-destructive testing & evaluation, standards & specifications, repair & rehabilitation, recycling, and hazardous waste reduction & mitigation. He joined the department in September 2006.
Infrastructure materials and sustainability
- 2010 - Engineering Class of 1944 Teaching Award (McGill Faculty of Engineering)
- 2008 - Elected Fellow of the American Concrete Institute
- 2006 - 11th International Conference on Structural Faults & Repair, ASCE, Edinburgh, UK - Best Paper
- 2001 - 9th International Conference on Structural Faults & Repair, ASCE, London, UK - Best Paper
- J.A. Hartell, A.J. Boyd & C.C. Ferraro, 2011. Sulfate Attack on Concrete: Effect of Partial Immersion. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp 572-579.
- B. Kim, R. Roque & A.J. Boyd, 2012. Influence of transport properties on the determination of conditioning and thickness to obtain uniformly damaged FRC specimens, Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 31, pp 334-340.
- V. Rostami, Y. Shao, A.J. Boyd & Z. He, 2012. Microstructure of cement paste subject to early carbonation curing. Cement & Concrete Research, Elsevier, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp 186-193.
- V. Rostami, Y. Shao & A.J. Boyd, 2012. Carbonation Curing versus Steam Curing for Precast Concrete Production. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 24, No. 9, pp 1221-1229.
- Y. Shao, V. Rostami, Z. He & A.J. Boyd, 2013. Accelerated Carbonation of Portland Limestone Cement. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp 117-124.
- C.C. Ferraro, A.J. Boyd & G.R. Consolazio, 2013. Evaluation of damage to bridge piers using pulse velocity tomography. Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 38, pp 1303-1309.
- B. Kim, A.J. Boyd, H.-S. Kim & S.-H. Lee, 2015. Steel and Synthetic Types of Fibre Reinforced Concrete Exposed to Chemical Erosion, Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 93, pp 720-728.
- M. Nunes, C. Ormsby, V. Patel, T. Peng & A.J. Boyd, 2015. Paraffin Wax as a Sealant in Sorptivity Testing, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp 04014218 (1-8).
- A. Fathi, Z. Moradian, P. Rivard, G. Ballivy & A.J. Boyd, 2016. Geometric Effect of Asperities on Shear Mechanism of Rock Joints. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Springer, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp 801-820.
- A.J. Boyd, Y. Liu, O. Shaikhon & A.J.K. Komar, 2016. The Implementation of Surface Resistivity in Field Applications. Structural Faults & Repair - 2016, ASCE, Edinburgh, UK, 9 pp, CD-ROM.
- R. Enjil, P.F. de Jesus Cano Barrita, A. Komar, A.J. Boyd & B.J. Balcom, 2017. Monitoring Steady State Moisture Distribution during Wick Action in Mortar by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Materials and Structures, RILEM, Vol. 50, pp 151-162.
- A.J.K. Komar & A.J. Boyd, 2017. Evaluating freeze-thaw deterioration with tensile strength. 2nd International Conference on Civil Engineering and Materials Science, Seoul, South Korea, 6 pp.
- S.M. Soleimani, A.J. Boyd & A.J.K. Komar, 2017. Pressure-tension test for assessing fatigue in concrete. Nondestructive Characterization and Monitoring of Advanced Materials, Aerospace, and Civil Infrastructure 2017, SPIE, Portland, OR, USA, 7 pp.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB)
- Editor Advisory Board – Journal of Construction & Building Materials
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Committee 201: Durability of Concrete
- Committee 228: Non-destructive Testing of Concrete (Chair)
- Committee 236: Materials Science of Concrete
- Advisor: McGill Student Chapter
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- Committee C01: Cement
- Committee C09: Concrete and Agregates
- Subcommittee C09.42: Fiber Reinforced Concrete
- Subcommittee C09.64: Non-destructive and In-Place Testing (Chair)
- Advisor: McGill Student Chapter
- Committee AFN30: Durability of Concrete
- Subcommittee AFF40 (1): Non-destructive Evaluation of Bridges
- American Society for Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineers (CSCE)
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)