Offer an Internship
What is an Internship?
An internship is a pre-professional work experience that provides students, recent graduates, and those seeking to change careers with the opportunity to gain experience in a particular career field. They can be a temporary work placement after graduation, a full time position during the summer or a part-time job during the academic year.
Why Hire an Intern?
- Internships provide employers with a reservoir of students from which permanent personnel can be hired. Insightful recruiters plan ahead!
- Interns can be a source of cost effective labour as they are less expensive than full-time permanent employees
- Interns bring in fresh and innovative ideas as well as enthusiasm to the workplace
- By contributing to the educational process of the intern, you develop vibrant, dynamic and closer ties between your industry and the university
For Students, internships
- Provide a way of learning skills and acquiring the experience needed to be successful in the job market
- Offer a valuable bridge between the world of school and the world of work
- Help to provide networking opportunities
For Employers, internships
- Bring cutting edge technology/applications learned in a university setting to your organization
- Allow you to give projects to interns that your current staff are too busy to tackle
- Allow your organization to receive recognition as a leader who enhances youth employability
At CaPS we believe students should be remunerated for productive work.
CaPS does not post unpaid internships/opportunities unless the organization is not for profit. We may post unpaid internships for NGOs / NPOs, and these must be indicated as unpaid. Note that if your organization requires a fee for registration or participation, this must be indicated in the job description.
Upon approval, these opportunities will include the following statement:
A message from CaPS: CaPS does not guarantee that the university / your faculty will recognize this opportunity as an official internship. This is an unpaid or volunteer opportunity and/or requires a fee for participation. CaPS encourages students to evaluate the benefits of this type of opportunity for themselves, and to consult our office or http://www.mcgill.ca/caps/students/job/internship for more information.
(N.B. If the intern displaces a regular, paid employee, the internship is likely illegal).
In addition to compensation, sought-after internship programs include:
- A clear job description and objectives
- Relevant training
- Consistent mentorship and supervision by a qualified professional
- Regular opportunities for the student to receive feedback
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact CaPS.
Internship Programs at McGill
For more information about faculty-specific programs, please consult: Faculty Internship Programs
For more information on internships, please contact:
Tel: 514-398-3304 ext. 0598
Email: jean [dot] hepworth [at] mcgill [dot] ca